Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Restoring antique tractor (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/restoring-antique-tractor-73656/)

dragunovsks 10-03-2012 09:42 PM

Restoring antique tractor

The other day I was helping my fil cut up and load some firewood for the winter and he mentioned that he wanted me and my wife to have this old tractor he has. It was bought new by my wifes grandfather who has been dead since she was 7 and it holds a lot of sentamental value to the family. My wife and I are thinking of restoring it to new condition and I have no idea how difficult the project will be or even how to begin. It's a 1947 Farmall Super H with tricycle front end. It does currently run though its been a couple years since its been used.

Any suggestions, resources, guides?

kytowboater 10-03-2012 09:48 PM

Www.ytmag.com should help

rifleman1 10-03-2012 09:53 PM

we restored a 1952 ford 8n about 7 years ago we have long since sold it but it was alot of fun.
i wish i had suggestions for you but i have a friend that owns and runs an automotive store and he does all my ordering of parts and paints all i can say is have fun,and post pics if you can.

orangello 10-03-2012 09:54 PM

Trez should have some info too. He was posting about an old one he picked up recently.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/random-thoughts-thread-11615/index1546.html
post #15459

dragunovsks 10-03-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman1
we restored a 1952 ford 8n about 7 years ago we have long since sold it but it was alot of fun.
i wish i had suggestions for you but i have a friend that owns and runs an automotive store and he does all my ordering of parts and paints all i can say is have fun,and post pics if you can.

Those are nice tractors, my fil also has a 51 Ferguson 30 horse I think. I've been told they are almost identical to the 8n's. We were actually using the Ferguson to pull a little 4x6 trailer we loaded with wood.

I went to high school with a guy that has restored a few old tractors but I haven't been able to get hold of him.

Davyboy 10-03-2012 10:22 PM

Have restored several classic vehicles. Be advised every one is a money pit. Do not take it on unless you have sufficient funds to complete.

ellis36 10-03-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 963294)
My wife and I are thinking of restoring it to new condition and I have no idea how difficult the project will be or even how to begin. It's a 1947 Farmall Super H with tricycle front end. It does currently run though its been a couple years since its been used.

Any suggestions, resources, guides?

How difficult (and expensive) depends on the condition. If it's in good mechanical condition and doesn't need internal engine and transmission work but just looks bad, it can be enjoyable if you like that kind of stuff. Pressure washing, painting, maybe replacing leaky gaskets, changing the filters, wiring…all that stuff is relatively cheap. Decals are usually after-market but available.
Tires are expensive. First thing is to find a copy of the parts manual. I got mine at Jensales, Inc…... e-mail
jensales@jensales.com Phone 507-826-3666 for info. Good luck on the project!

dragunovsks 10-03-2012 11:47 PM

He says it needs a water pump but will run long enough to drive short distances or load on a trailer. It looks rough as it is rusty but its in good mechanical shape, he said it also needs a coil and could use a set of plugs and wires.

Ive heard tractor tires are very expensive but the tires are decent as well.

blucoondawg 10-03-2012 11:59 PM

Tires are expensive but last a long time if the tractor is cared for properly and not run miles down the blacktop, and if the tires are loaded with that old chloride crap you probably need rims soon, I just went through that with mine. As mentioned earlier this kind of thing is costly and no matter how much you put in the tractor you still have an old tractor, not really much value even with all the fix ups, I don't know what it looks like but if it were me I would just make sure it has decent rubber and rims and runs good and use it, unless you are the type that enjoys doing body work and tinkering. I have an old Allis Chalmers C, it isn't the best looking tractor but it runs and does what I want, thats good enough for me for now, maybe some day when I have time I will do a little more fixing but I won't put in the money to fully restore. There's a lot of places to find parts, I have used Steiner and All States Ag Parts. Online forums such as Tractorbynet are also helpful.

ellis36 10-04-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 963436)
…. It looks rough as it is rusty but its in good mechanical shape, he said it also needs a coil and could use a set of plugs and wires.

Ive heard tractor tires are very expensive but the tires are decent as well.

These old tractors are fairly simple to work on. I cleaned up an International 856 diesel a few years ago. Still use it.
Water pump shouldn't be complicated…coil, plugs and wires easy. Everything hangs out in the open pretty much. International still has a surprising number of parts for these tractors. My dealer ordered anything I wanted. Very few parts weren't available..they usually arrived in four days or so. Strip off the sheet metal so you can clean it up and paint it. Pressure wash or steam clean the main ass'y. If you can run a spray gun, the 'official' paint is available at the dealer. They also have aerosol cans. Replace the hoses and external oil lines, battery cables. Fix any leaks. Replace worn parts where possible. Re-pack the front wheel bearings. Electrical was the only problem. I never found any data on the electrical system on mine. I ended up making my own wiring harnesses. These old tractors will run another 60 years! :) Tractor Supply usually has some books on restoring tractors with listings of after-market suppliers, etc.