A request for help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A request for help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A request for help

Hello ladies and gentleman, I've come to this forum to ask you all for a favour. I am writing a story which one day i hope to make into a set of movies and i need some help with the guns.

The story is about a character who has spent most of his life at war, even from a young age and has experienced horrifying things that have formed him into a well adept soldier, albeit one that mostly acts alone. The story is set from about 1961-201X, but the main block of the story happens in the 60s to the 90s and i would like to ask the people here what kind of firearms would you believe to be sufficient. I have already basic ideas for his weapons, like M1911's and a slightly customized M16A1, but i don't have a lot of knowledge on certain older weapons, mainly from European countries. The age of the weapons needs to be around 1870-1980 and what i am mainly looking for is:
Pistols
Revolvers
SMG's
AR's
LMG's
Bolt Action Rifles
DMR's
HMG's
Grenade Launchers

The main weapons i want him to use are AR's, Pistols and Revolvers. I have another character in the story who wields a Krag-Jørgensen, which is his signature weapon as it holds a large amount of significance to his character, so its also assigning a weapon to the main character that makes him stand out a little more. The weapons can also be rarer and less widely used firearms.

Thank you for your time and another thank you for anyone can help me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickers-McLatitude View Post
Hello ladies and gentleman, I've come to this forum to ask you all for a favour. I am writing a story which one day i hope to make into a set of movies and i need some help with the guns.

The story is about a character who has spent most of his life at war, even from a young age and has experienced horrifying things that have formed him into a well adept soldier, albeit one that mostly acts alone. The story is set from about 1961-201X, but the main block of the story happens in the 60s to the 90s and i would like to ask the people here what kind of firearms would you believe to be sufficient. I have already basic ideas for his weapons, like M1911's and a slightly customized M16A1, but i don't have a lot of knowledge on certain older weapons, mainly from European countries. The age of the weapons needs to be around 1870-1980 and what i am mainly looking for is:
Pistols
Revolvers
SMG's
AR's
LMG's
Bolt Action Rifles
DMR's
HMG's
Grenade Launchers

The main weapons i want him to use are AR's, Pistols and Revolvers. I have another character in the story who wields a Krag-Jørgensen, which is his signature weapon as it holds a large amount of significance to his character, so its also assigning a weapon to the main character that makes him stand out a little more. The weapons can also be rarer and less widely used firearms.

Thank you for your time and another thank you for anyone can help me
1870-1980 and several countries? That's a LOT of guns to cover. What countries/regions specifically were you thinking of? If the story is taking place near the Swiss Alps, the weapons there would be different from the weapons from a Soviet country like Yugoslavia.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-12-2013 at 01:16 AM.
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

If it is in the 60's to 90's then the guns would depend on the area
In the 60's to 70's- if he's a soldier then he would have either an A1/CAR15 style AR15 (most likely an M16A1), or an M1A (most likely an M14), and he would have a 1911 as a side arm. If he's a civilian then he would probably have something like an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, semi-auto M1A, or a semi-auto A1/CAR15 style AR15, as well as something like a 1911, Colt Python, Smith and Wesson Model 36, or Smith and Wesson Model 29 as a sidearm.

If he's in the 80's- as a soldier he would probably have an A1 or A2 style AR15 (most likely an M16A1 or an M16A2) and either a 1911 or a Beretta M9. As a civilian he would have either a semi-auto A2 style AR15, semi-auto M1A, MAC-10, UZI, or a Mini 14, as well as something like a 1911, Colt Python, Smith and Wesson Model 36, Smith and Wesson Model 29, Glock 17, Sig P226, CZ75, or a Beretta M9 as a sidearm

In the 90's- as a soldier he'd have basically the same stuff as he would in the 80's, he'd have basically the same thing as a civilian as he would in the 80's with the audition of certain Modern Sporting Rifles such as a semi-auto AK47, SKS, or a semi-auto FAL, and the addition of certain handguns such as the newer models of Glock, the Smith and Wesson semi-auto series of handguns, a Ruger P89, or a P99.

Hope that helped. If you have a specific area or time with which you specifically need help, just ask.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I agree that the specific countries/regions would be useful.

Welcome to the forum. If you're gonna hang around for awhile, please stop by the Introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A more exotic rifle of the Spanish- American War would be the Remington-Lee Navy. This was a straight pull action chambered for a then futuristic 6MM Cartridge.
The 6MM Lee-Navy Cartridge later became the speed demon .220 Swift.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
The age of the weapons needs to be around 1870-1980
With the time frame and world wide access that's an ass load of guns!
Putting the time frame of the stuff going on for the character(s) makes a lot of those guns older and probably really cheap to acquire though. Old guns, surplus ammo...oooOOOOooooo

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

@texaswoodworker: ah, my apologies. The main area that the story revolves around is Israel and Palestine, the general middle eastern area, but he does branch out to other areas here and there, so if IMI was around back then, then maybe i could take a few from there. I am looking at soviet weapons as well, the AK obviously being the most recognizable.

@FullautoUSA: My character isn't an official soldier for any army, nor is he a normal soldier, he unofficially works for the Israelis as a mercenary. He has a severe split personality disorder and blood lust, being that he was put on the battlefield when he only around 10 years old, thrust into the Israeli-Palestine conflict at around 1961-1966, in which he was on the Palestinian side for that time. He has a form of resilience to pain, but not too resilient, as every man has a limit to how much they can take in one time.
However, the guns you have told me of are a good portion of what i am looking for, especially going by the decade, as i did want to upgrade his armory in each subsequent decade. thank you very much mate. And do you know of any weapons that were considered incredibly powerful, but still could be wielded by a single or two man team? thank you again

@JW357: thank you, i will post there soon

@Nitestalker: i had a look at it, nice weapon, and the 6mm Lee Navy looks like a really nasty round.

@DrumJunkie: thats part of the idea, it works out for the main character, Samael, much more during when he initially starts fighting for

thank you all for your contributions, every little bit helps me progress my writing

Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickers-McLatitude View Post
@texaswoodworker: ah, my apologies. The main area that the story revolves around is Israel and Palestine, the general middle eastern area, but he does branch out to other areas here and there, so if IMI was around back then, then maybe i could take a few from there. I am looking at soviet weapons as well, the AK obviously being the most recognizable.

@FullautoUSA: My character isn't an official soldier for any army, nor is he a normal soldier, he unofficially works for the Israelis as a mercenary. He has a severe split personality disorder and blood lust, being that he was put on the battlefield when he only around 10 years old, thrust into the Israeli-Palestine conflict at around 1961-1966, in which he was on the Palestinian side for that time. He has a form of resilience to pain, but not too resilient, as every man has a limit to how much they can take in one time.
However, the guns you have told me of are a good portion of what i am looking for, especially going by the decade, as i did want to upgrade his armory in each subsequent decade. thank you very much mate. And do you know of any weapons that were considered incredibly powerful, but still could be wielded by a single or two man team? thank you again

@JW357: thank you, i will post there soon

@Nitestalker: i had a look at it, nice weapon, and the 6mm Lee Navy looks like a really nasty round.

@DrumJunkie: thats part of the idea, it works out for the main character, Samael, much more during when he initially starts fighting for

thank you all for your contributions, every little bit helps me progress my writing
That helps a lot. That's still a lot of guns, so I'll just go over the common ones, and the cool ones.

Here's what you might find in those countries. (NOTE: Some fit into the 1960s timeline, other come in in the mid to late 80s, a few are from WWII.)

Israel

GLOCK 17
GLOCK 19
Browning High Power
Uzi (Full sized, mini, and micro)
MAC 10
M16A1
M4 Carbine
IMI Galil
AKM/AK-47
M14
M1919 Browning
PKM
Browning M2
Mossberg 500
Remington 870
M24 (late 80s)
H&K P11 (underwater pistol)

Soviet Union

AKM/AK47
AK74
SKS
Mosin Nagant 91/30, M38, M44
Dragunov
M1895 Nagant Revolver (special gas seal design allows it to be suppressed unlike other revolvers)
SVT-40 (Rarer semi auto. Was used, but nothing like the SKS, Mosin Nagant, or AK-47 was)
TT-30, TT-33
Makarov
RPD

These lists aren't compete by any means. These countries had a LOT of different guns. This will give you a good idea of what they commonly used though. I couldn't find much about Palestine, but I'm guessing the AKM/AK-47 is one of the guns they used.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-12-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Rickers-McLatitude Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

That helps a lot. That's still a lot of guns, so I'll just go over the common ones, and the cool ones.

Here's what you might find in those countries. (NOTE: Some fit into the 1960s timeline, other come in in the mid to late 80s, a few are from WWII.)

Israel

GLOCK 17
GLOCK 19
Browning High Power
Uzi (Full sized, mini, and micro)
MAC 10
M16A1
M4 Carbine
IMI Galil
AKM/AK-47
M14
M1919 Browning
PKM
Browning M2
Mossberg 500
Remington 870
M24 (late 80s)
H&K P11 (underwater pistol)

Soviet Union

AKM/AK47
AK74
SKS
Mosin Nagant 91/30, M38, M44
Dragunov
M1895 Nagant Revolver (special gas seal design allows it to be suppressed unlike other revolvers)
SVT-40 (Rarer semi auto. Was used, but nothing like the SKS, Mosin Nagant, or AK-47 was)
TT-30, TT-33
Makarov
RPD

These lists aren't compete by any means. These countries had a LOT of different guns. This will give you a good idea of what they commonly used though. I couldn't find much about Palestine, but I'm guessing the AKM/AK-47 is one of the guns they used.
Glock would not have been there in the 60's, as glock was not invented till the 80's. AK74's wouldn't have been there in the 60's as it was invented in 1974. Nor would the Galil or M4 have been there in the 60's as they had not been invented yet. the Galil was invented in the 70's.

But if he is working for the israeli's he would have most likely have had an UZI or an M16A1. However, if he was a mercenary he could have easily had an AK47 or SKS.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
Glock would not have been there in the 60's, as glock was not invented till the 80's. AK74's wouldn't have been there in the 60's as it was invented in 1974. Nor would the Galil or M4 have been there in the 60's as they had not been invented yet. the Galil was invented in the 70's.

But if he is working for the israeli's he would have most likely have had an UZI or an M16A1. However, if he was a mercenary he could have easily had an AK47 or SKS.
I think you missed part of my post.

(NOTE: Some fit into the 1960s timeline, other come in in the mid to late 80s, a few are from WWII.)