Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Removing staked dowel pins (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/removing-staked-dowel-pins-94085/)

clr8ter 07-18-2013 09:19 PM

Removing staked dowel pins

Just for the record, this is regarding a lathe, not a gun.....

How do you remove a dowel pin that is staked on both sides? It is run off center, through a gear, so the gear is held on a shaft, but can freely turn. So, you have to hold the gear, and the teeth interfere somewhat with removal. I have moved it a little, to the point it's up against one of the stakes.
Now I know it's not a taper pin, the rebuild book on this lathe says it's not. Is there a specific procedure for doing this? Or do you just have to use enough force to overcome the stake?

duddie10 07-18-2013 09:53 PM

Can u post some pics. Im a machinest and if i can see what gear and how it is i might just be able to help.

clr8ter 07-18-2013 10:13 PM

I will see what I can do. It'll be a tough spot to photograph clearly. A scan from the book might go better....in the meantime, you got any general info on staked dowel pins?

duddie10 07-18-2013 11:55 PM

Im asuming the hole the pin is in is a thru hole. If so a punch and hammer. If not then maybe a drill to try and clear some of the stacking away. Its tuff with out being able to see it.

clr8ter 07-19-2013 12:01 AM

I will try for a photo.....

hiwall 07-19-2013 01:21 AM

Most of the time this needs brute force(always my favorite).

bigbomar4 07-19-2013 03:25 AM

Get a bigger hammer! Or maybe a pic. I'm just a dumb wrench turner but maybe I can help if I can see what you are talking about.

clr8ter 07-19-2013 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here's a photo. Sorry, it's about the best my camera can do. See the pin? It's in the gear second from the left, right next to the dogs that engage the gear on the right. In case anyone is interested, this is a single tumbler gearbox to a '43 South Bend 10L toolroom lathe.

duddie10 07-19-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1308541)
OK, here's a photo. Sorry, it's about the best my camera can do. See the pin? It's in the gear second from the left, right next to the dogs that engage the gear on the right. In case anyone is interested, this is a single tumbler gearbox to a '43 South Bend 10L toolroom lathe.

Yes small looks to be some where around a 1/8 in dia. Left gear. Use a punch be careful not to mar the gear. The gear might be hardened or have work hardened over time so in an extream case i would use a dremel with a small cutting wheel just to weaken the stake and then use a punch from the other side. Again be carful take your time and remember when your putting it back together to restake the pin so it does not come flying out between gears.

clr8ter 07-19-2013 09:44 PM

I went and bought some actual punches this afternoon. Will see what that does for me.