Remember When - A Forum Game - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Remember When - A Forum Game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Remember when 'online' is where the washing went?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I remember the March of Dimes- when they were looking for a CURE for polio.

Duck and cover- training in school on surviving a nuclear attack- and fallout shelters in the back yards.

Buffalo Bob & the Howdy Doody Show (all of us that THOUGHT we had the hots for Princess Summer-Spring-Winter-Fall would later develop lustful thoughts about Penny- Sky King's neice)

Bucky Beaver and Ipana toothpaste. Animated commercials for headache pills. Studebakers. Temporary tattoos. Ovaltine (and decoder rings)

The uncle that had a little keychain viewer- with a picture of a pinup girl inside. The other uncle with a keychain with a miniature harmonica that you could play.

Drive-in restaurants. Turn on your lights to get the car hop to pick up the tray. Roller skates that clamped to your shoes, and has steel wheels. The Yo-yo man that would do local appearances- and whacking yourself in the head trying to learn to "walk the dog".

First aid for a cut involved iodine, Merthiolate, or Mercurochrome (more painful than the cut!) Non-politically correct TV shows- like The Grey Ghost, Rin-Tin_Tin, and Sgt Preston (NorthWest Mounted Police) Tying the ends of a towel around your neck to make a cape like Superman's- and jumping off the roof of the toolshed to see if you could fly (Uh- that would be NO)

Mercurochrome

My knee twinged when I read that. Brought back memories of skinned up knees during the summer from tring to do "tricks" on my bike. That will tuffn you up there. For those of you that don't know after mercurochrome is used on you a couple of time the next time you are hurt you will pull out your pocket knife and cut your leg off at the kneecap to avoid your mom using that stuff on you.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Remember as a kid riding around town in the back of the pick-up, man you couldn't get me in the front seat, and I don't mean just sitting in the back we were always sitting up on the sides holding on
Around town??? Hell we use to ride in the back of our uncle truck from ohio to kentucky and would pray that it did not rain.

I think I have the best one though. I remember when my brothers and I held up a sign in the back of dads old station wagon that said "Help were being kidnapped ". Now you would have every leo from here to washington looking into that. Now that I think about it my rear end is still soar from when dad got done beating us. But we still laugh everytime one of us brings it up.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #104

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default People over 35 should be dead.

Here's why ...

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ... and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends!

We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents.

No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #105

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

AFG, great post, absolutely true...

Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #106

I remember yard darts, dads arm was the seat belt while standing in fron seat of dodge dart.
I rEmber my first job in 7th grade pumping gas and busting tires after school and all summer long, I remember dad giving me a box of .22 shells and saying don't shoot back at house be careful see you at supper I was around 10.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #107

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I remember when made in Japan meant it was junk.
I remember when you would see kids sleeping in the real deck against the window and you would not get pulled over, arrested, and kids not be taken by social services. Hell, the car we had as a kid didn't have seat belts.
I remembe4r when terms like six cylinder would never be a hot rod. And factory radio meant you had to go to the store and buy stereo for your POS slow 6cyl. car

I remember a door to door salesman come to our house selling what he called the next big thing. It would replace everything else round. He was selling cassette tapes.

I remember when you had to be a lot more manly to crush a beer/pop can with one hand. And you could make chains fromty he tabs.

I remember going to a cigarette machine and seeing it was 75 cents for a pack and thinking "what a rip off!"

I remember wen it was not so hard to find a man that when he gave his word it was good enough. Because a man with no weight in his word was useless. You could make a deal on a hand shake. I think I miss that more than all.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #108

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Remember when FTF used to be a place of sharing and fun. Now it is like fending off hordes of idiots, stalkers, and asshats.

Last edited by cpttango30; 01-19-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #109

Remember when you could get a real,quality,reliable,simple,beautiful gun for less than $500? Remember when you actually worked on the car,instead of plugging in a wire?

Springfield TRP
Mossberg 590
Krav Maga

Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.
Man! That blue paint was the best chew toy EVAR.

Hose water is still fine, but i wait to see if anything comes out with that first bit of water now.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.