Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Remember When - A Forum Game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Remember When - A Forum Game

So, we have a lot of serious topics around here, but few light hearted ones and I thought it was time we should have one that most of us could relate to, without dating ourselves too badly.

The only requirement to post is that you have to remind the group of something from back in the good old days, when you were a kid or whatever, that was a product or by-product of the time.

For Instance:

Do you remember when Band-Aids had that silly red pull string down the inside that invariably pulled out and left you ripping the package open anyways?

Do you remember when music, REAL MUSIC, used to come on vinyl and had to be played on a record player?

Do you remember when TANG was the breakfast drink of NASA and every kid under the age of 10 in the US?

Does ANYONE besides me remember that the D@mn Energizer Bunny started as a competition between cymbal clanging monkeys and was supposed to simulate long battery life, and not a drum banging bunny rolling from commercial to commercial?

And so on....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #2

I am still young, 22, but I do remember Tang. It was great!

I remember when Pepsi changed the look of their pop can, does that qualify?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #3

Absolutely, but do you remember when Coke changed their formula to New Coke and had Max Headroom as their virtual spokesman?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #4

I'm only 28, but I can still remember full service gas stations. And when gas was around 88 cents a gallon. It was less than a dollar when I began driving. The good ol' days! LOL

Old 04-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Absolutely, but do you remember when Coke changed their formula to New Coke and had Max Headroom as their virtual spokesman?
I do not. Is that when they stopped using cocaine in their soda?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Remember when

Remember when Magarine came in those plastic packs that had a button with red dye so you kneaded the package until it was same color as butter? Remember when a girl friend stopped at a gas station where her Dad had a charge account(remeber those- before credit cards) had the attendant fill the tank, do the windshield, and check the oil and that big old Chrysler took $5.00 worth of gas; I was amazed I didn't know there was acar that would hold that much gas; my '41 Chevie sure as Hell wouldn't. Remeber the old copy mahines with the pink paper you had to put on original, copy would fade after a couple of months but, of course there were no faxs, electric typewriters and the only calculators had umpteen keys, took forever and weighed about 40 pounds. A box of .22 shorts was about a quarter. Some of my friends cars still had crank starters. During WWII had ration stamps for lots of things, including gas and the ration book came with a sticker to put on windshield that said "Is this trip Neccessary?" And on and on and on....

Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I remember when kids were allowed to play tag at recess.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1627 View Post
I do not. Is that when they stopped using cocaine in their soda?
No, it was in the mid 80's or so and Coke wanted to shake things up by getting a whole new, younger, hipper, formula. Tasted like sugar with bubbles in it.

and ad for it.

JD

Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
No, it was in the mid 80's or so and Coke wanted to shake things up by getting a whole new, younger, hipper, formula. Tasted like sugar with bubbles in it.

Here's and ad for it.

JD
Learn something everyday, thanks for posting.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Do you remember...

Getting up on a Saturday morning as a kid and running off to play with friends 'til the streetlights came on in the evening, and your parents didn't worry at all.

Typing essays and other papers on a typewriter -- no spell-check, no delete key, no automatic centering, and you had to remember to hit the carriage return arm.

Kids respected and even feared their teachers and they cared about doing well in school (God help you if your parents got a call from the Principal).

The check-out lady at the grocery store had to pick up each item, find the price tag and enter it in on the mechanical cash register keypad.

Scars. Lots and lots of scars. These came from playing outside and doing crazy things. Playing outside and being active was our entertainment; there were no game consoles. (Very few kids were fat back then, too.)

People could and did smoke anywhere, including the grocery store and restaurants.

Guns could be bought just about anywhere, including gas stations, Sears, and mail order from the back of magazines.

Cars with carbeurators. Starting them on some days could be a real pain in the arse.

Paper grocery bags.

Styrofoam containers at fast food restaurants.

You could bring a knife to school to show off and people admired it, not feared it.

Having a paper route.

Patience was a common virtue: instant gratification was usually impossible because people had to save to get what they wanted. Credit debt was rare.

Moms stayed home with young kids and families ate together and discussed their lives with one another.

Saving S&H green stamps from the grocery store.

There was no ADD. If you were disruptive in class, you got a smack on the arse and the humiliation was usually enough for you to overcome your "ADD" issue. Parents were grateful to teachers who disciplined kids.

Ashtrays and cigarette lighters in cars came standard, but seat belts were optional.

Walking to school or at least walking a good ways to the bus stop.

Taking pride in our country and hating the enemies of our country, and that was encouraged.