Reloading Slips and Incidents
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Reloading Slips and Incidents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default Reloading Slips and Incidents

Years ago when I was poor, I only had one rifle - a .270. I reloaded everything for it and that included 90 gr. hollow points for varmints. My buddy and I spent many pleasant summer afternoons exchanging b.s. and banging away at gophers as far away as we could see 'em. It was good practice and good fun.

I was reloading a batch of those hollow points one afternoon and kind of expecting a phone call. Let's say it was a phone call from a tall, blonde amazon.

I'm in the middle of 50 rounds and looking forward to outshooting my buddy. Phone rings. Now, I KNOW that I don't answer the phone when I'm reloading. I know that because I close the door behind me and it is one my rules. Cue the blonde.

I leave and pick up the phone. Blah, blah, blah. Back to reloading. When I'm done, I make a thermos of coffee and arrange to meet my buddy on a ranch we have access to and which is polluted with gophers.

At some point in the afternoon, I line up on one about 350 yds away. It's real windy so it's going to be a Hail Mary shot but I've got a bipod and lots of ammo and what the heck. I line it up, adjust, concentrate and slowly squeeze it off. "click"

My buddy snickers. WTF. I forgot to chamber a new load. I tell him to bugger off and slam another one home. Gopher's still there. "click"

I'm stunned. I wait and pull the bolt back, slowly...thinking I've got a dud. I see the brass and then see the end of a 90 gr. hollow point poking out the end of the brass. What the.....

I look down the barrel. It's dark.

Now I start to break out in a cold sweat. This no longer funny.

Thankfully, I had a cleaning rod in the truck to knock out the 90 gr. hollow point that was pushed into the lands by the first "click". That's the bullet that pushed back the one I saw poking out of the brass after the second "click".

I loaded exactly two - and only two - rounds with no powder in that batch of 50. It just happened that I put them in consecutively. When I had pulled the first dud round out, I had seen exactly what you'd expect to see if you forgot to load a fresh round - a spent brass with a fired primer. God looks after fools and drunks.

Since then, I never, but never, put a brass into the seating die until I look into it and see powder. I can stand too little powder. I can even stand too much powder. But no powder at all is really bad. That's the way I'm training my daughter to do it.

I carried that 90 gr. hollow point around for years. I always intended to get it gold-plated and make a necklace out of it, but somewhere along the line I lost it.

Hope that helps someone.

Regards,

edit: And I never took another call while reloading. Big blonde or not.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 09-26-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: grammer
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Copied and pasted from the other thread.

I used to charge all my rounds, and then seat the bullet. What this did is give me a chance to make an easy mistake. This is exactly what happened. I missed a shell, so I ended up with a round with no powder behind the bullet. This naturally resulted in a squib.

Now, the powder I was using for these loads made it almost impossible to accidentally double charge a shell (the powder was VERY bulky, and already filled up most of the shell), but a double charge would have been possible If I had been using a different powder.

I did two things to correct this.

1) I charge the shell, and then immediately seat the bullet for it. This makes it very difficult to miss charging a shell, or double charge it.

2) I check each shell before seating the bullet. Just a quick glance into the shell to see how much powder is in it.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Here's another one. Not really a slip, just a warning.

I had loaded about 20 rounds of 30-06 one day so I could sight in my rifle. I was still really new to reloading, so I had borrowed some primers and powder from my grandpa who had been reloading for years and years.

Well, a few days later I finally make it out to the range. No one else is there, so I just take my time setting up the target and enjoy the day. I load up the rifle, line up the shot, and slowly squeezed the trigger. "Click". So now I'm sitting there knowing that rifle could go off at any time and there isn't a thing I could do to control it. About 30 seconds or so later, nothing happens, so I eject the shell. Everything is still there, and I could see that the primer had been struck pretty well. I write if off as a dud and continue. (after putting the round on the other side of the concrete shooting bench just in case)

So I load round number two. I pull the trigger again, and "click". ****! I wait again, nothing happens again so I put this dud with the other one. I load one more round, pull the trigger, and "click". Damn it all to hell! I wait again, nothing happens, so I pack up and leave.

So what happened? The primers I had used were pretty old, and time had not been good to them. They looked fine, but I guess the humidity had gotten to them over time.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-26-2013 at 05:02 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

oh i have made mistakes over the years as well. luckily, none have been too dangerous or fatal!

just last year, i got all excited when i was reloading some new rounds for my Ruger M77V in 280 Rem. and wanted to work up some loads for it. i had ordered some new Norma cases and for some reason, set them into my loading block after deburring the cases. i proceeded to charge them, then seated some bullets. put them onto a baggie with the info on it. well a few days later, i got the opportunity to try them out. i got the rifle all set up and picked up the baggie with the rounds in it, and what is that black stuff in the bottom of the baggie? gunpowder!

i had forgot to seat primers in the cases! the gunpowder was coming out the flash hole.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

LOL. Been there, Axxe55. As you say, it's not dangerous but I guess it does serve as a reminder to pay attention for old hands who might get a tad complacent.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

People Like This 
Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
LOL. Been there, Axxe55. As you say, it's not dangerous but I guess it does serve as a reminder to pay attention for old hands who might get a tad complacent.
not complacent, excited! and you are corrct, was a reminder that even i need to pay attention to what is going on.

don't reload if you can't give it your full and undivided attention. IOW's, don't reload if you are tired, stressed, have been drinking or under the influence of drugs. keep children, pets and wives away while reloading at critical steps. i am all for teaching others about reloading and newbies learning, but this is a time when silence is golden. if they are there to learn, then take time to give instruction and let them ask questions, but not while actually performing critical reloading procedures. conversation can distract you and cause problems.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #7

Liked 520 Times on 353 Posts

Okay here's my mishap

This is when I was new to reloading I started with 40 Cal made 400 rounds no problem then I buy the dyes for a 38 special I guess I got a little cocky cuz I made some ammo and then It got late one day and figured I'd start all over in the morning but I left my powder in the hopper
Following morning proceeded to make another 200 or so when I got done I dump the power for my hopper back into the jug of powder go out to the range first batch I made that night was perfect second batch I made you can see the bullets just barely come out the end of the pistol so I proceeded to shoot one more bullet and of course it get stuck halfway in a barrel took me awhile to figure out what I did .
So I ended up throw one whole pound of powder away.
Valuable lesson learned lol.
Moist air and powder does not get along