Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Relationship pet peeves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #701
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7394 Times on 4274 Posts
Likes Given: 9511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Hang in there Trip ! Try to get some good BBQ, if possible, while your there. It is always good to know you've gone the extra mile when it comes to children.

Transmissions - bad luck, I just spent $1,637 on my 03 Honda Accord. I never miss a trans service - too expensive an alternative. Playing roulette w 2nd timing chain. (Honda says every 6 yrs - I say every 100K)
I went 140K and 11 years on the T-belt in my 2001 Acura MDX. I replaced it myself, sis the water pump, tensioner and other drive belts at the same time. The T-Belt could have gone another 60K. But it would have been tempting fate to do so.

You should be good for 120K on your T-belt, as long as it is a factory Honda part. Aftermarket parts may not last as long. (For the record, I am a factory trained, ASE Certified master auto mechanic. I worked for Honda/Acura dealerships for many years and also worked for a factory sponsored Honda racing team).

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #702
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6147 Times on 3729 Posts
Likes Given: 7023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
You should be good for 120K on your T-belt, as long as it is a factory Honda part. Aftermarket parts may not last as long. (For the record, I am a factory trained, ASE Certified master auto mechanic. I worked for Honda/Acura dealerships for many years and also worked for a factory sponsored Honda racing team).
I always have my Honda serviced at the dealership. I know it's more expensive but I want my Honda to last a loooong time.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #703
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I always have my Honda serviced at the dealership. I know it's more expensive but I want my Honda to last a loooong time.
What you need is to find an honest mechanic. Honda replaced the first Belt 90-100k. Now I'm 157K miles but they say it must be changed every 6 yrs. (Heat, Cold, Torq, etc.) wanted $634 to replace caliper,etc - I found a relatively honest man who did everything plus 150K service for a lot less. Honda wanted $1,080 for Timing Belt.

VikingDad - Honda charged me $538 for valve adj. My other mech said they hosed me. True/False ? If Honda went w chain over existing belt - would a break be as destructive ?

As a consumer, who do you trust ?

Last edited by Gonzilla; 03-23-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #704
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2695 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:

What you need is to find an honest mechanic. Honda replaced the first Belt 90-100k. Now I'm 157K miles but they say it must be changed every 6 yrs. (Heat, Cold, Torq, etc.) wanted $634 to replace caliper,etc - I found a relatively honest man who did everything plus 150K service for a lot less. Honda wanted $1,080 for Timing Belt.

VikingDad - Honda charged me $538 for valve adj. My other mech said they hosed me. True/False ?

A lot of the difference in price comes from lower quality parts and less training, not that there aren't other good mechanics out there.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #705

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm willing to pay a higher price to keep my lifetime warranty valid. I intend to pass this car on to my kid in about 9 years. 5 years of paying for it, 4 years of good usage after that, and I should be ready to upgrade.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #706

Quote:

VikingDad - Honda charged me $538 for valve adj. My other mech said they hosed me. True/False ? If Honda went w chain over existing belt - would a break be as destructive ?

I have worked at a couple of dealerships as well as a few independent shops. Currently I am at an independent. The dealerships are in it for one thing, to part you from your money. The independents I have worked for have been the more trustworthy mainly because you can always ask to talk to the mechanic directly, something that the dealer always tries to avoid. You talk to the service writer and if the customer has a question for the mechanic it gets asked by the writer, and then he interprets the mechanics answer in whatever way he chooses so as to make the most money.

The independents I have worked for use factory parts for almost everything, as long as they are still available. I always recommend that you stick with factory parts. They cost more, but 90%+ of the time they are better.

Who would I trust more? The one that allows you to talk directly to the mechanic. Mechanics by and large are not out to stick it to you. But they are encouraged to "upsell" stuff on your car by the writers and the service manager. I have had writers upsell stuff that I did not recommend on cars that I have worked on before, giving the repair order to someone else so as to avoid me finding out. That is ripping off the customer. If I recommended it then it should be done, but if the service writer recommends it he is just trying to get your money. I have seen where they will recommend parts that have recently been replaced before.

$1080 for a timing belt on an Accord? I can see that if it is a V6, but for the 4 cylinder it is outrageous. The parts for the V6 come to probably $500 or thereabouts. It is not a quick job, but I can do it in maybe an hour. Flat rate is probably 3 hours or more. I would have to check. Sometimes they will add outrageous time for add-ons such as the water pump (should always be changed when the T-belt is done) or the tensioners and idler pullies (I always replace those on my cars too).

Look around for a good, reputable independent shop that uses factory parts by default and will let you talk to the mechanic. If the owner is at the shop every day working too that is another good sign.

And Trip, you should check your extended service contract. The dealers will always tell you that you must go to them for the contract to remain valid but that is not always true- matter of fact it is rarely true. The extended warranties are written by an independent company, not the manufacturer. The independents I have worked for accept extended warranties.

Another thing that many people don't know is that dealerships generally make more money in the service department for out-of-warranty work and general service work and used car sales than they do on the new cars including new car warranty work. The profit margin on a new car is very small, maybe even so small as to only cover expenses really. They make big bucks on financing, extended warranties (especially when the customer doesn't use it), accessories, detailing (that protective coating crap they sell you is the same stuff you can get at and auto parts store or detailing shop, the carpet and fabric protectant is pretty much just Scotch Guard or a variant).

Last dealer job I had I was there for a couple of years and Acura came out with the MDX SUV. I ordered one as soon as we got a couple through our shop, knowing Honda/Acura quality and that if anything happened I could take care of it under warranty before it expired. The General Manager (a dirty rotten scoundrel) insisted that if I wanted to order one I would have to pay the $3,000 premium that they were charging customers rather than the 10% employee discount that I was told we would be charged for a new car when I started working there (that amounted to about $4,500 under list). So I went to the new car sales manager (a really good guy) and told him to order me one, and I was only going to pay the employee discounted price. He asked me if I was going to put a down payment on it and I pulled a quarter out of my pocket and gave him that. He taped the quarter to the new car order board under my name. Since these cars were so popular, it took 4 months before mine came it, it was a few days before Christmas. In that 4 months the sales staff had been finding loose change in the parking lot, etc., and they had taped that up to add to my "down payment", making it something like $2.86.

I get the call that my car has arrived and is ready for pick-up. Went in to pay for it and as the finance manager (a little flesh-ripping weasel of a guy) was writing up the invoice the General Manager walks in and was hovering over us. The FM asks how we are going to finance it and I said we weren't, we were writing a check for the grand total. Then the GM chimes in and says "Don't forget to add the $3,000 premium over list" and I said no deal, I was only paying the employee price of list less 10% and if he wanted to argue about it he could argue with the owner. Now, the GM knew that the owner and I were pretty tight, but he wasn't there at the time and wasn't going to be back until after New Years. The month-end receipts are very important, especially at the end of the year, so he knew that if he had to wait for the owner to get back my car would not show up on the receipts for 2000, it would go on the 2001 receipts.

He stewed a bit and then said I had to at least finance it and get the extended warranty. I said no deal. I would be doing all warranty work myself anyhow, so why would I pay someone else for me to work on my car? I also declined any accessories (same deal, I could order them at the employee discount and install them myself).

I asked the finance manager what was the total bill, including tax, license and title fees. He gave me a number (I think it was around $48K) and then I told him to deduct my down payment . The General Manager was mad enough to eat railroad spikes and spit nails. He stood there when I wrote out a check for the whole amount, less my $2.86 "down payment" and paid it in full on the spot.

Still have that car too. I have done all of the work on it and it still runs great.

Oh, and I was bluffing a little bit about talking to the owner. I had not cleared anything with him at all beforehand. I just knew he was out of town for the holidays and wouldn't be back until after the New Year. I did know that he would not have charged me the premium though.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #707

Actually, my warranty IS written by the manufacturer. I was a salesman when I bought it, and I've read it thoroughly. What it takes to keep it valid is a Chrysler certified mechanic or Chrysler certified shop.. Now, that doesn't really mean it "must be dealer serviced", except the fact that that is the easiest place to find one.

If I could find one with all the wallpaper that's needed, that is also right here in town, I would rather go there. The dealer I take it to takes way to damn long. Me and Sue ended up with a 4 hour nap in the waiting room once. And that was AFTER trying to stay awake. Now, my boss and I just drop it off during the workday.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #708
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 522 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Honda wanted $1,080 for Timing Belt.

I trust a local mechanic who goes out of his way to do this honestly and honorably.

Valve adjustment? What is this a 1975 car? I would call the mfg and ask if that's a real repair.

$1,080 timing belt, holy crap, that should be a few hours tops!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #709

I forgot to answer one of Gonzilla's questions. It depends on whether the engine is an interference engine or not, meaning that if the timing set were to break, could the valves crash into the pistons being out of time and all?

Timing belts are quieter. That is the main reason for them. Early belts had a much shorter life (like 60K), and were very simple to replace. I have done some that take about 15 minutes to change, including a water pump. Chains always take longer because they are inside of the crankcase. Some manufacturers use a composite timing gear with a chain, but those break down over time (any old V8 should have the timing set checked for breakdown). I just replaced a timing chain on a Mazda the other day, so they wear out as well but generally should last longer than a belt. The one I did the other day had a failure in the variable valve timing pulley that was causing a problem, but when you are in there it is best to do it all at the same time.

Quote:
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #710

Hey guys? Thread drift, big time.