Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Regrowing muscle, in a new way.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7330

Default Regrowing muscle, in a new way.

Saw this in the newsletter from my eye doctor's office. thought it was interesting. medical research has found a way to regrow large portions of lost muscle after a severe injury.

http://www.healthbanks.com/PatientPortal/MyPractice.aspx?UAID={37AEB32F-4BCD-424D-B46B-B01E71F54FC0}&TabID={X}&ArticleID=687322

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2840 Times on 1645 Posts
Likes Given: 16925

Sounds promising . Hope this is the answer , could help many people , vets , etc. . So many let downs in the past and takes many years for problems to show up sometimes . Time will tell .

Old 05-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #3

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

It sounds like the amout of success will rely a great deal on the patient.
From what i understand from reading another article, therapy (hard work) may recruit the person's stem cells to the area and promote new muscle growth...however if the area/muscle is not worked a great deal, scar tissue will fill in and replace whatever is there

Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7330

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
It sounds like the amout of success will rely a great deal on the patient.
From what i understand from reading another article, therapy (hard work) may recruit the person's stem cells to the area and promote new muscle growth...however if the area/muscle is not worked a great deal, scar tissue will fill in and replace whatever is there
That it does. While I was healing up from the first surgery on my left foot (They had to cut out a section of muscle about 2 inches across, by 5 inches long, clean down to the bone.), Part of my PT was to walk the halls of the hospital wing I was in. This was in addition to some foot movements that I had to do every hour while in bed hooked up to wound vac. The hospital I was in (Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo NY) has a Subway and a C store in the lobby, so my walks would take me down to the lobby by the end of my first week there.

I did wind up with heavy scarring, even with the amount of therapy I was doing, both mandatory and ordered. I also heal at almost twice what doctors call a normal rate. With as deep as the surgery was into my foot, most of the muscle they removed had grown back within the first four months. My skin was completely covering the area within 6 months as well.

I just have to wonder how much faster I would have healed had the treatment in the article been available back in 2005.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?