Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Regional specialty food and restaurant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Regional specialty food and restaurant

So you're playing host to a forum member from elsewhere, and you want to introduce them to a local dish they aren't familiar with, at the local restaurant that prepares it the best.

What, and where?

I was stationed in Kali for 3 years, and nobody made an oven baked hoagie (sub, hero, po' boy). I explained this was the only way to prepare this sandwich, and they had never heard such a thing.

They finally opened a place called East Coast Subs, a bunch of us went there in a baked sub frenzy, and they still had no clue, and no oven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

In this area we have the Metropolitan Bar & Grill, which has some of the best steaks around and there is always semi famous people there to "see" and be "seen" with. Very popular. Very expensive as well.

For a brunch though, I would have to take someone to Salty's on Alki. Great view of the ocean, awesome food, very fresh seafood and a chocolate fountain to dip fresh fruit in if that is your thing.

And, finally, for some of the best clam chowder I have had outside of Fisherman's Wharf down in San Fran, we would go to Duke's on Lake Washington on a hot, summer day, sit outside and check out all the uber hot walkers and stroller pushing Cougars while we have a bowl of some very good and hearty clam chowder....

JD

Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

We have a bunch fo little mom and pop shops here that have food that is to die for. Like good down home country cookin.

But we have an Ice cream shop here (Carl's) that you have to get there 3 hours before they open to get a cone. OMG their ice cream is so good. The line on a firday or saturday evening is almost 4 or 5 blocks long. Not sure what they do to it but that ice cream is to die for.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In Texas it's beef. It's always beef. Even our really bad steak houses are better than most state's best...assuming it's not a franchise that has to purchase out of state beef.

Me and the little lady go to a place called Saltgrass. Native Texans laugh at us, because Saltgrass doesn't make anyone's top 5 steak house around here, but it's still an ass kicking steak and you can feed 2 for under $75 with drinks.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Round here there are two specialty items, chicken fried steak and hot link sausage.
Chicken fried steak - Cafe 290 in Manor (that's May-Ner) east of Austin.

Hot links (aka hot guts, Elgin sausage) - Either Myers or Southside meat market both in beautiful downtown Elgin (the g is like the g in golf, not like the juniper berry alcoholic beverage).

Of course you have to get a scoop of Blue Bell ice cream from the creamery in Brenham, TX. Best dang ice cream in the world.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've heard of Blue Bell on several occaisions now. I'm curious, and a little hungry.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

around here its all about North Carolina style pulled pork BBQ
and the best place to get it is go to a pig pickin

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I guess down here it would be fried catfish & "home style" vegetables: collard or turnip greens, black eyed peas, butter beans, sweet corn, and sweet potatos (maybe some watermellon for desert).

When i lived in Memphis, it was all about the BBQ, especially with a dry rub rather than wet sauce & usually rib racks; i finally found a BBQ place with a vegetarian option, a BBQ portabello sandwich. I did find it odd that in the Memphis area & MS delta, they use coleslaw on the BBQ sandwich, like lettuce on a hamburger & that it is less soupy & longer cut than in south MS.

Never caught one this big myself, must've been on a jug or trotline.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp1987 View Post
around here its all about North Carolina style pulled pork BBQ
and the best place to get it is go to a pig pickin
Best place 'round here for pork-b-que is Lexinton Barbeque, known to
the locals as "Honeymonks" the owner's name (or is it nickname?).

That's Lexington, NC.

‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the
citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the
citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’

— Justice Robert H. Jackson, the chief prosecutor of
the surviving Nazi leaders at Nuremberg, Germany.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cattleman's Steakhouse, since 1910 in Oklahoma City Stockyards. Order the Blue Ribbon Special, and the house salad dressing is awesome.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill