Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Are refrigerator food trucks heated? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/refrigerator-food-trucks-heated-103070/)

Vincine 01-21-2014 11:35 AM

Are refrigerator food trucks heated?

Are refrigerator food trucks heated? It's -27F here now. I was wondering what happens to perishables in the trucks when it's this cold?

chloeshooter 01-21-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine (Post 1487971)
Are refrigerator food trucks heated? It's -27F here now. I was wondering what happens to perishables in the trucks when it's this cold?

most refers are temperature controlled. I operate a number of them myself. Mine all can keep loads frozen or prevent them from being frozen. That is the norm

there are also insulated blankets that can be thrown on top of loads that are travelling short distances to prevent freezing when using a dry van

WebleyFosbery38 01-21-2014 11:48 AM

I feel for ya V, we can literally watch the damn thermometer drop hour by hour, its minus 5 now an hour after we passed zero and heading to the minus 20 your getting by late tonight!

Reefer Trucks carrying highly Perishable products are supposed to be in "conditioned" storage but not really heated per se. They keep the interior of the trailer between preset ranges High/ Low and most use a defrost like cycle to keep the temp above danger of freeze if freezing is not desirable. Most of the long haulers actually run a data logger Time/ Temp to prove their cargo was stored within the shippers standards. Even during -20 days, frozen foods still have to be transported in reefers just in case, one oh Sh!t and the entire load could be toast.

JTJ 01-21-2014 12:08 PM

Right now it is +46F and we are expecting +74F. That is why we have so many snow birds in town. When it gets to 120+F in summer I become a sun bird and fly to the mountains.

winds-of-change 01-21-2014 01:29 PM

Good question, Vincine. I wonder that in regards to people who have freezers and refrigerators in their garages. I have a small chest freezer and it's in my basement. But I don't know about the ones that are not in a controlled temp. What about pop machines outside of stores or gas stations?

wittmeba 01-21-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Let me guess...they freeze? :D

Vincine 01-21-2014 03:31 PM

I had a neighbor who worked in Antarctica. He said the freezer had a radiator so the food didn't get colder than 0F.

TLuker 01-21-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

I'm just thankful that I've never needed to ask that question! :eek:

TheSadPanda 01-21-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine (Post 1488103)
I had a neighbor who worked in Antarctica. He said the freezer had a radiator so the food didn't get colder than 0F.

For those types of extreme situations a heater might he necessary. hotter and colder are relative terms. So if it's -5 out but you run a reefer at 40 degrees, it's technically heating the product, or at the very least keeping it from freezing.

Sent from my DeLorean Time Machine

WebleyFosbery38 01-22-2014 01:56 PM

I drove a Refrigerator truck this morning by mistake! Not a Mack, A Dodge Fridge-Kota. It was -15, prewarmed it unsuccessfully (no heat whatsoever) while noting an elevated but not high temp. A mile down the road, the gauge starts climbing, pulled off before it popped and froze for about twenty minutes until the thermostat finally freed up. The best feeling ever to have heat coming out those vents for sure, I was frosty!