Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Red Dawn movie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Red Dawn movie

What do you guys think about this upcoming war movie??!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Resident Lurker / Retro AR nut
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 659 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Looks cheesy as heck to me, South Korea invading? No.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I'm hopeful but seeing as the original is one of my all time fav. movies, I think it will be a dud.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Considering most of the actors in it weren't alive when the first one came out, I am betting it's going to suffer.

They got the guy who plays Thor in Patrick Swayze's lead roll as big brother Jed. Not bad.

The character of Robert, first played by C. Thomas Howell, is going to some Hunger Games kid. Don't know how I feel about that. Robert was a protagonist and warrior. He wanted blood at every turn, so the kid better bring it.

Charlie Sheen's younger brother Matt is being played by some kid from the Disner channel. Fail.

The recast I do agree with is Lt. Col. Andy Tanner, formerly played by Powers Boothe, is now being played by Jeffery Dean Morgan from "Losers".

I'll watch it, but not with any high hopes. The first one was pretty epic and had a ton of up and coming stars right as they were emerging.

JD

Old 09-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3742

After watching re-makes of "The Day The Earth Stood Still," one of the all time sci-fi classics perverted into radical environmentalist propaganda, and the truly pathetic attempt to re-make "High Noon," I think I'll pass on this one.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Hope for the best, expect the worst.
The idea that the Norks could invade the US is laughable. Besides, If you managed to get the North Korean army to the US, most of them would probably defect just for a gift certificate for the local Panda Express. The original movie was a product of it's time...The Cold War. That time is gone, it's very hard to recreate the same feeling with today's circumstances. I suspect that it's very likely to suck horribly. I suspect that words like "cheezy", "ridiculous" & "implausible" will be used in the reviews when it hits the theaters. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #7

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I really believe that Hollywood is running out of ideas for new movies. It seems that for the last fifteen years they have simply been remaking stuff from the eighties in an attempt to live off the "glory years". But once in a great while they come up with something good. "Taken"

I don't think I will watch it. For me to give money to those people, the movie has to be really good.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

I have to weigh In... I agree with you guys about the cast... Hopefully they will pull it off and I think there were better choices.
With that being said, I totally support them bringing a classic like this back... Same as Dukes of Hazard... It blew chunks compared to the original but, it gave today's kids an idea of what it was and there is a new following of kids watching Dukes reruns now.
Our kids are growing up in a horrible time for tradition and shows that really do effect your life (meaning the Dukes always had a message and was innocent)... Red Dawn taught us to go outside and start a neighborhood clan that protected the town (we all played together and even the kid everyone picked on now had a role in playing and not being picked on). I for one do not want these shows forgotten or only known by us.
- Red Dawn
- Goonies
- Road House
- Poltergeist
- Jaws
- Smoky and the Bandit (1st one)
- The Fall Guy
- Stroker Ace
- 6 Pack

All classics that wether they are redone to our satisfaction or not, would give our kids an idea of what it was like.
In my day (88-92), had we been attacked, my friends and I knew how to shoot, bud fires, camp, hunt, fix a 79 Chevy Scottsdale, etc. I'm not so sure about todays kids? I would have given my life or, at the very least risked my life to save my parents, my buddies parents. Today's kids, I'm not so sure...
Sorry this was so long... This is something I wanted to discuss for a while now.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 582 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 176

I do not understand why Korea is the invader. The Muslim Brotherhood is a better choice. Well I guess I do understand.
Just a comment. Not intended to make this a political thread.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

People Like This 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1120 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Remakes are always a fail. Want proof? Try to name a good one. The two or three that are good are the exceptions that prove the rule.

I'll attempt to watch it when it hits cable, but it only gets 15 minutes to prove itself, like any other movie.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This