Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Red Dawn movie (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/red-dawn-movie-72589/)

ballistix45 09-17-2012 05:54 AM

Red Dawn movie

What do you guys think about this upcoming war movie??!

sputnik1988 09-17-2012 05:57 AM

Looks cheesy as heck to me, South Korea invading? No.

jeepejeep 09-17-2012 02:21 PM

I'm hopeful but seeing as the original is one of my all time fav. movies, I think it will be a dud.

Dillinger 09-17-2012 03:04 PM

Considering most of the actors in it weren't alive when the first one came out, I am betting it's going to suffer.

They got the guy who plays Thor in Patrick Swayze's lead roll as big brother Jed. Not bad.

The character of Robert, first played by C. Thomas Howell, is going to some Hunger Games kid. Don't know how I feel about that. Robert was a protagonist and warrior. He wanted blood at every turn, so the kid better bring it.

Charlie Sheen's younger brother Matt is being played by some kid from the Disner channel. Fail.

The recast I do agree with is Lt. Col. Andy Tanner, formerly played by Powers Boothe, is now being played by Jeffery Dean Morgan from "Losers".

I'll watch it, but not with any high hopes. The first one was pretty epic and had a ton of up and coming stars right as they were emerging.

JD

locutus 09-17-2012 03:52 PM

After watching re-makes of "The Day The Earth Stood Still," one of the all time sci-fi classics perverted into radical environmentalist propaganda, and the truly pathetic attempt to re-make "High Noon," I think I'll pass on this one.

Overkill0084 09-17-2012 04:05 PM

Hope for the best, expect the worst.
The idea that the Norks could invade the US is laughable. Besides, If you managed to get the North Korean army to the US, most of them would probably defect just for a gift certificate for the local Panda Express. The original movie was a product of it's time...The Cold War. That time is gone, it's very hard to recreate the same feeling with today's circumstances. I suspect that it's very likely to suck horribly. I suspect that words like "cheezy", "ridiculous" & "implausible" will be used in the reviews when it hits the theaters. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Eturnsdale 09-17-2012 04:09 PM

I really believe that Hollywood is running out of ideas for new movies. It seems that for the last fifteen years they have simply been remaking stuff from the eighties in an attempt to live off the "glory years". But once in a great while they come up with something good. "Taken"

I don't think I will watch it. For me to give money to those people, the movie has to be really good.

tjacobson 09-17-2012 04:18 PM

I have to weigh In... I agree with you guys about the cast... Hopefully they will pull it off and I think there were better choices.
With that being said, I totally support them bringing a classic like this back... Same as Dukes of Hazard... It blew chunks compared to the original but, it gave today's kids an idea of what it was and there is a new following of kids watching Dukes reruns now.
Our kids are growing up in a horrible time for tradition and shows that really do effect your life (meaning the Dukes always had a message and was innocent)... Red Dawn taught us to go outside and start a neighborhood clan that protected the town (we all played together and even the kid everyone picked on now had a role in playing and not being picked on). I for one do not want these shows forgotten or only known by us.
- Red Dawn
- Goonies
- Road House
- Poltergeist
- Jaws
- Smoky and the Bandit (1st one)
- The Fall Guy
- Stroker Ace
- 6 Pack

All classics that wether they are redone to our satisfaction or not, would give our kids an idea of what it was like.
In my day (88-92), had we been attacked, my friends and I knew how to shoot, bud fires, camp, hunt, fix a 79 Chevy Scottsdale, etc. I'm not so sure about todays kids? I would have given my life or, at the very least risked my life to save my parents, my buddies parents. Today's kids, I'm not so sure...
Sorry this was so long... This is something I wanted to discuss for a while now.

25-5 09-17-2012 04:56 PM

I do not understand why Korea is the invader. The Muslim Brotherhood is a better choice. Well I guess I do understand.
Just a comment. Not intended to make this a political thread.

TekGreg 09-17-2012 05:19 PM

Remakes are always a fail. Want proof? Try to name a good one. The two or three that are good are the exceptions that prove the rule.

I'll attempt to watch it when it hits cable, but it only gets 15 minutes to prove itself, like any other movie.