Red Dawn - literally! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Red Dawn - literally!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Holy cow zhuk!! Those are some amazing photos, but that has to be scary as hell.

That is right out of a zombie movie. Radioactive dust storm blankets city.

Good luck brother!! Drink plenty of water and keep yourself inside if at all possible.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #22

Likes Given: 2

Does that happen often??? Have they made any attempt to do what we did in the midwest after the dust bowl??? We planted rows of trees and underbrush every mile or two to keep top-soil erosion manageable. It worked here, now everything is lush and green until late summer but the dust has never come back.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #23

Hey Zhuk, wear a mask and keep yer throat from dryin out with a pint or two. That's some nasty stuff, seriously wear a mask, that is not good on your respiratory system .......markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 09-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wonder how many cars have clogged up air filters from this. Some cars have that "in-cabin air filter" for the A/C, too; i bet the auto parts stores will be selling a ton of them.

edit* Honestly Z, you might want to get a cheapo pair of nylons/stockings at the truck stop & put one around your engine air filter until that clears up a bit. I use a cold air intake (snorkle) with a big washable air filter on my lil car; you might want to consider one if this is to be a regular event (maybe a filter sock too).

Last edited by orangello; 09-23-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Holy cow zhuk!! Those are some amazing photos, but that has to be scary as hell.

That is right out of a zombie movie. Radioactive dust storm blankets city.

Good luck brother!! Drink plenty of water and keep yourself inside if at all possible.

It was pretty freaky, JD! The worst dust storm for more than 70 years apparently.

Kinda reminded me of the 'nuclear winter-effect' that we were all expecting during the 80s

Today dawned fine & clear due to high winds which got up late yesterday...but now the dust has hit Brisbane, up in Queensland. I'm guessing NZ will cop what's left soon too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Does that happen often??? Have they made any attempt to do what we did in the midwest after the dust bowl??? We planted rows of trees and underbrush every mile or two to keep top-soil erosion manageable. It worked here, now everything is lush and green until late summer but the dust has never come back.
Yeah I think a lot of the problem was due to wholesale land-clearing which happened after WW1 for the "soldier-settlers" (returned servicemen were entitled to land after the war). Not that it was very productive after that anyway lol

It's the constant droughts which are also contrubuting...you could plant (gum) trees, but getting them established with sufficient water would be a challenge, considering the vast distances involved. And then it might not rain for years at a time...there are kids out west who are 5 years old & have never seen rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wonder how many cars have clogged up air filters from this. Some cars have that "in-cabin air filter" for the A/C, too; i bet the auto parts stores will be selling a ton of them.

edit* Honestly Z, you might want to get a cheapo pair of nylons/stockings at the truck stop & put one around your engine air filter until that clears up a bit. I use a cold air intake (snorkle) with a big washable air filter on my lil car; you might want to consider one if this is to be a regular event (maybe a filter sock too).
Ha yeah, I waked past a lot of cars covered in dust yesterday...running in that muck wouldn't have done em a lot of good!

Luckily though, I don't own a car purely public transport/walking/a clapped out pushbike is my mode of transportation. Inner city living has the occasional advantage that way

Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gadzooks, Zhuk

That'll put the old feather duster to the test

Seriously, like all have been saying, respirator, dust masks, stay inside, whatever works, but take care.

Kind of reminds me of all those pics from that dust storm the soldiers went through in Iraq and Afghanistan

Not taking away anything from what you are going thru there. Seriously, keep you and yours as safe as you can until it blows over.

Slo

Old 09-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Wow great pics, slowryde. You really get the sense of a wall coming at you!

Just doesn't look right not being red, though

Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post

Yeah I think a lot of the problem was due to wholesale land-clearing which happened after WW1 for the "soldier-settlers" (returned servicemen were entitled to land after the war). Not that it was very productive after that anyway lol

It's the constant droughts which are also contrubuting...you could plant (gum) trees, but getting them established with sufficient water would be a challenge, considering the vast distances involved. And then it might not rain for years at a time...there are kids out west who are 5 years old & have never seen rain!
So these storms are building up way out in the Western Outback and blowing east all the way across the continent before slamming into the big cities?? That's amazing!!

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
So these storms are building up way out in the Western Outback and blowing east all the way across the continent before slamming into the big cities?? That's amazing!!

Yeah, sorry if I gave you all the wrong impression there Not from Western Australia (WA) but thru western NSW...about 1200 kms from Broken Hill to Sydney. Initially it came up the SW wheat belt & from Lake Eyre (below sea-level & pretty much permanently dry; unsuprisingly popular for land-speed record attempts) in South Australia.

And that's maybe 1700 kms?

Quote:
THE first red dust lifted off the Lake Eyre basin in the dead heart of Australia on Tuesday afternoon, sucked 3km into the sky by a deep low-pressure system and gale-force winds.

Over the next 24 hours, millions of tonnes of dust and dirt were ripped into the air, as the biggest dust storm in 70 years grew in size and intensity, and headed towards the coast.

Dragging up soil from three states, the plume grew to more than 1500km long and 400km wide; at its peak sweeping up 140,000 tonnes of soil an hour.

Overnight the thick, red dust blanketed Sydney, with the city awakening to a deep-red dawn that transformed into an eerie orange glow.

The dust covered most of NSW and parts of southern Queensland, blanketing Brisbane and the Gold Coast. By the afternoon, the cloud was on its way to New Zealand, where it was expected to arrive this morning.
Red centre causes havoc in big city

Last edited by zhuk; 09-24-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #30

Wow, that's incredible. I've been to Sydney so I can imagine what kind of a Cluster-F**K its been like there.