RED ALERT: Panhandlers start going door to door
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > RED ALERT: Panhandlers start going door to door

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default RED ALERT: Panhandlers start going door to door

In east Fort Worth, taking aim at a new wave of panhandling

By MARTHA DELLER
mdeller@star-telegram.com
FORT WORTH — Pushed off street corners, out of parking lots and away from stores, some panhandlers have started going door to door.

Police report that the problem has cropped up across the city, but it’s been more highly publicized in Meadowbrook, where neighborhood associations and Citizens on Patrol members have been working with police to curtail it.

"It seems to be a very small group of people who have adopted this style of panhandling because of our enforcement of the panhandling ordinance on the streets," said Capt. Bryan Sudan of the Police Department’s East Division.

Meadowbrook resident Mike Phipps said the incidents began this year when a woman knocked on his door late at night claiming to work for his elderly neighbor.

The woman asked for gas money to get home to Weatherford, saying she arrived at work to find a note saying that her employer had been taken to the hospital.

Doubting her story, Phipps refused. After watching her approach other homes, he followed a van she was riding in. He warned her and her driver to leave the neighborhood. Then he called police.

As the panhandling schemes grew more convincing, Phipps began spreading the word at neighborhood meetings and police forums. He advised his neighbors to report the encounters to police, even if they didn’t give money.

Phipps said the problem reached a peak around Thanksgiving, when requests for gas money were replaced by requests for rides to the hospital to visit sick relatives.

"That’s where it started to cross the line in my mind," Phipps said. "When they try to get people out of their homes where they’re safe into a vehicle where they have a purse or wallet, this crime could escalate into rape, robbery or murder."

With the help of residents, police identified one panhandler whose primary scam was asking for money to do yardwork — without equipment.

Even though the man’s criminal record included drugs, robbery and assault, Sudan said police couldn’t do much but warn him to leave the neighborhood.

"What he’s doing in and of itself is not a crime," Sudan said. "It’s not illegal to walk up to the front door and offer to do services unless you have a no-trespassing or -soliciting notice posted."

But police and neighborhood groups are continuing efforts to educate residents.

Over the past few weeks, hundreds of east Fort Worth residents have received a police tip sheet through neighborhood newsletters, churches and the police Web site.

"With the difficult economy, there could be an upswing in crime. People need to be more vigilant," said Mayor Pro Tem Kathleen Hicks, whose District 8 includes Meadowbrook.

Sudan and Hicks hope to run the tips on the Fort Worth City Page in the Star-Telegram, in City Council newsletters and possibly in water bills.

Phipps has circulated his own flier warning panhandlers that residents will call police if they don’t leave.

Sudan said police want to help people in need. But people with false stories usually leave before police arrive, he said.

"I’m not unsympathetic," he said. "But giving that person $1 only feeds that person’s addiction. We’re not cold, heartless people. If people call us, we’re going to investigate the problem, the need and act appropriately."

The sad thing, residents say, is that a handful of con artists have dissuaded good-hearted people from helping truly needy people.

A man seeking gas money to visit his hospitalized mother was given $20 and served a sandwich, cake and coffee by an older couple who asked to remain anonymous.

The older man, a veteran police volunteer, said he grew suspicious only after the panhandler returned the next night, asking for change for $50 so he could repay him. The homeowner believes that the man was setting him up for a robbery.

"I feel kind of stupid," he said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To give or not to give Fort Worth police offer these tips about how to respond to door-to-door solicitors:

Post a no-trespassing or no-soliciting sign outside your door.

Never open your door. Check through a peephole or window and talk to the solicitor through a door or window.

Never tell the person that you’re alone.

Call police if the person refuses to leave or to keep him or her from soliciting your neighbors. Be prepared to give details about the person and the person’s vehicle.

Know your neighbors and start a system to alert one another.

Inform Citizens on Patrol of the activity so it can alert patrols.

Teach your children why they should never open the door to strangers and how to call police.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/1116237.html

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #2

I never answer the door anyway, unless I'm expecting company.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Old 01-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #3

I welcome panhandlers--my dogs need the exercise...

Old 01-02-2009, 02:05 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I would think that is a poor judgment call esp in texas. Where you can be shot for stealing a stero out of someones car.

I think they would meet the business end of a Kimber Custom II sporting 230gr Hydroshocks.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:59 AM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The doorbell activates my security backup, the dog. I have few interruptions, and none a second time.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My front door and side lites are full-length stained glass. I can see through certain areas to see who is on the other side. If I'm not expecting someone, I don't even bother to answer the door and will have my 45ACP in my hand until they are gone. I have seen a few panhandlers and church nuts in the neighborhood.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Folks that know me, will call first. Others will just have to decide whether that 70 pound Chow will really eat their a$$ if they open the gate........ "well, he's wagging his tail"..... he does that when he's expecting a snack......

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I used to never answer the door. At our current house we have a fence you can't get through unless we unlock it so we don't have an issue anymore with solicitations.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I would think that is a poor judgment call esp in texas. Where you can be shot for stealing a stero out of someones car.

I think they would meet the business end of a Kimber Custom II sporting 230gr Hydroshocks.
well, Ft Worth isn't too far from me, and I almost always answer the door with either a sig 9mm or a 1911 ready. I've known the types of people who go door to door, and many of them can't be trusted. I'm not saying they are guaranteed to cause trouble, just that your risk is higher than dealing with a more legitimate business...

On a side note, you SHOULD answer your door, or at least make it obvious that you are home. My sister-in-law stays at home with her two children. She was asleep upstairs one afternoon and her children were watching cartoons. The doorbell rang and the boys were too young to answer it. Instead, they woke up mom.

It took her a while to get downstairs to the door. Apparently, it was just long enough for the "visitor" to assume nobody was home. By the time she reached the front door, she heard a long crash around the side of the house, then saw someone trying to kick the back door down.

The back door was one kick away from being torn down and she let out a massive scream, scaring the person(s) away. Talk about a close call... If she hadn't walked down stairs, these people would've made it inside the house before they realized it was filled with an innocent family.

So, don't play dead. Instead, let it be known you are home and just don't feel like answering the door.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default door to door panhandlers

Hell you do that in NYC Brooklyn or the Bronx you could expect a big body count