Recurve bow
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Recurve bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Recurve bow

Seems like everyone around me for whatever reason is buying a bow. Everyone is getting compound bows.

I have just about no experience shooting a bow but do enjoy theirs. However I want a recurve. There is something classy about them. Can someone reccomend a good starter bow for target shooting and not hunting and some bulk plinking/target arrows.

Not sure how you pick one out or decide but if it matters I have 6' tall, 190lbs. I want it to be comfortable to shoot, I dont want the draw so hard that I have to strain to pull it back everytime!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 573 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 180

There are several good brands,, Bear, of course, PSE used to make some recurves, Great Plains and a plethora of bowyers out there,, go to tradbow.com, I believe is the site for the Traditional Bowhunter magazine's site and you will get plenty of info, I prefer traditional equipment myself and enjoy them greatly. You are quite correct in starting out with a light bow,, it will help you learn the feel of the release, help get a good anchor point, and have more fun. Compounds are great hunting machines, but to me longbows are much more fun. Some of the traditional bows are quite pricey, just do to the man hours and woods used, etc. Start with a comfortable one and move up if you wish and enjoy.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1533 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

If you really want to get into it try this.......

http://www.ehow.com/how_6329058_make-indian-hunting-bows.html

Old 06-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
There are several good brands,, Bear, of course, PSE used to make some recurves, Great Plains and a plethora of bowyers out there,, go to tradbow.com, I believe is the site for the Traditional Bowhunter magazine's site and you will get plenty of info, I prefer traditional equipment myself and enjoy them greatly. You are quite correct in starting out with a light bow,, it will help you learn the feel of the release, help get a good anchor point, and have more fun. Compounds are great hunting machines, but to me longbows are much more fun. Some of the traditional bows are quite pricey, just do to the man hours and woods used, etc. Start with a comfortable one and move up if you wish and enjoy.

Okay, thanks!

Just doing a little browsing and I found this. I had no idea I could even get a bow this cheap I really planned on spending about 150. So what would make this a bad bow? Or is it? Price is attractive if I can find them this cheap. If its crap though, tell me lol. I would like to know as well, why and what makes it crap. Thanks

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/3-2723355#

It has a really light draw. Is it a youth bow? What kind of draw do I want? My friends bow had a 60lb on it and it wasnt that fun to shoot for extended periods. Maybe I am just a wimp?

I also like the fact that it is short. Ive never shot a recurve but I cant imagine I want it too tall and awkward to handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
If you really want to get into it try this.......

http://www.ehow.com/how_6329058_make-indian-hunting-bows.html
Lol umm maybe eventually

Last edited by ArrizX; 06-01-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have a Bear Grizzly that I enjoy shooting. It is priced higher than your budget. The grizzly is my fishing rig because the threaded hole for a stabilizer is a great mount for a reel. My grizzly is a 45 lb pull. It puts a heavy fiberglass arrow right through a large horse fish or alligator gar's head. I bagged a 125 lb gar with it last summer when visiting the MS coast. It would make a fine target rig and bear bows hold their value.
People Like This 
Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX

Okay, thanks!

Just doing a little browsing and I found this. I had no idea I could even get a bow this cheap I really planned on spending about 150. So what would make this a bad bow? Or is it? Price is attractive if I can find them this cheap. If its crap though, tell me lol. I would like to know as well, why and what makes it crap. Thanks

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/3-2723355#

It has a really light draw. Is it a youth bow? What kind of draw do I want? My friends bow had a 60lb on it and it wasnt that fun to shoot for extended periods. Maybe I am just a wimp?

I also like the fact that it is short. Ive never shot a recurve but I cant imagine I want it too tall and awkward to handle

Lol umm maybe eventually
Yes. That is a youth bow. I am 14 years old. The usual draw weight for my age is about 35-40#. On my compound bow, I shoot with a 50# draw weight. That bow is probably too short for you too. Try going to a local archery pro shop if you gave one. They most likely will be able to help you select the bow that fits you best.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8739 Times on 4709 Posts
Likes Given: 18469

Man it is great to see young men involved in the outdoors and hunting instead of video games.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #8

Liked 874 Times on 562 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have a Bear Grizzly that I enjoy shooting. It is priced higher than your budget. The grizzly is my fishing rig because the threaded hole for a stabilizer is a great mount for a reel. My grizzly is a 45 lb pull. It puts a heavy fiberglass arrow right through a large horse fish or alligator gar's head. I bagged a 125 lb gar with it last summer when visiting the MS coast. It would make a fine target rig and bear bows hold their value.
Im trying to save up and get either a Bear Tamerlane or Temujin... But there like $300

Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 573 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 180

If you check out Cabelas, you will find some recurves in your price range,, like any other product you will of course pay for superior quality, but they have very suitable starter recurves, I like the 62" or longer, being 6'4", I have a long draw and have broken a bow or two that was too short. I myself prefer Howard Hill longbows,, a 70" model, they are well made and shoot great but as with most longbows, you need to experiment with arrows to find the spine wt. that shoots best due to archer's paradox, the bending of the arrow as it moves around the bow, most recurves are more centered as far as the shelves cut into the riser, making them less arrow picky. Enjoy, traditional bows tend to make me feel that I am in a bygone era, out in the woods when I'm out hunting, just a stick and string and your own woodsmanship,, a lot of fun.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #10

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

learn to "snap shoot" (instinctive shooting). thats how fred bear shot