For The Record
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > For The Record

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default For The Record

The Pacific wasn't HALF the sheer awesomeness of Band Of Brothers. Tom Hanks And Stephen Spielberg should be ashamed of portraying our Marines as idiots and without morals.

I finished the final episode tonight not really caring for the characters or finding myself mildly disappointed that the series was over. I'm just glad to free up the DVR space.

When is the new season of Burn Notice starting?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 AM   #2

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
The Pacific wasn't HALF the sheer awesomeness of Band Of Brothers. Tom Hanks And Stephen Spielberg should be ashamed of portraying our Marines as idiots and without morals.

I finished the final episode tonight not really caring for the characters or finding myself mildly disappointed that the series was over. I'm just glad to free up the DVR space.

When is the new season of Burn Notice starting?
June 3rd..............

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Have to agree I was a bit disappointed too Ineff; the series is still on free-to-air here, but I'm not expecting it to improve at this stage. I too felt disconnected from the characters, hard to care very much about what happened to them...and +1 on the 'morals', pretty insulting to those who were there.

The intros with the veterans are really the most enjoyable part, imo.

Nothing approaching the quality of BoB (which I intend to bribe someone to d/l a torrent of). I wonder if it wasn't 'overproduced' as well as having a dodgy sense of character.

This program on one of our free digi channels right now, is awesome About - World War II Lost Films on History

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yeah, it wasn't on a par with Band of Brothers. Our Marines deserved better.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-17-2010, 04:01 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Ineff, I've read plenty of reviews saying the same that you just said about that series. Many folks had issues with the portrayal of the US Marines as immoral racists and the like. How the Marines in the European theater were made to be a better class than those fighting in the Pacific theater, I have no idea. I did not see The Pacific, and I don't think I want to even though I had 2 Uncles who survived that theater. Makes me wonder what the motives of making the series was. Could it be the producers are racists in hiding? Maybe they were trying to be edgier than Band of Brothers knowing they could not top it?

Bless the most moral military corps in the history of the world. The US soldier of past and present.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It definitely didn't do our Marine veterans any favors in its portrayals..

Then again, maybe Band of Brothers set the bar so high that nothing else can touch it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I watched the series and was truly disapointed with how the Core was shown. True enough it was new to the Navy but no where close to the FUBAR expressed. With out the USMC it would have been a far different war. First to land first to fight, not much has changed since then all the same it is my personal opinion.

The last thing the oposing force wants to face is a Marine, that was not expressed in the series.

Wasn't band of brothers Army?

Hard to tell the USMC story with out liberal filmakers doing what they do. Ask a Marine what he has seen/done and you get little. A job done and nothing to say about it. Suck it up and push on. FU hollywierd

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 05-17-2010 at 05:07 AM.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I've seen the stuff on the History Channel about the battles, Naval and land based in the Pacific theater. They interviewed the Navy and the Marines involved. The Marines were just as open as the sailors. Open and honest. Heck, there is even a reunion of the Marines and Japanese soldiers on Wake Island every year. Sadly, there are fewer of both sides that attend each year.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #9

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Considering what the man said in a Time magazine article about how he felt about our troops in the Pacific Theater and comparing them to the wars of today (and stating that bigotry and terrorism are the two key motivators for fueling the current wars), I am not surprised that it was a disappointment. Keep that as a lesson, Tom Hanks is Hollywood and Hollywood for the most part sucks it hard, long, and wickedly when it comes to humanizing our troops. Hell, I bet the man didn't even bother to read E.B. Sledge's With the Old Breed! Seriously, I love Tom Hanks as an actor, but he is such a waste of plasma when it comes to historical issues.

BTW, I can't wait for the new season of Burn Notice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Then again, maybe Band of Brothers set the bar so high that nothing else can touch it.
I have to agree with you that the mini series was a great Hollywood representation of showing the lives of our brave soldiers fighting in the European Theater, but Band of Brothers is fallacious in many places both in the book and in the series. Ambrose has been torn apart by historians time and time again for plagiarizing, using misinformation, and not double checking his facts when it comes to historical events. This includes over six of his books, and one of the biggest offenders being BoB.

I will give you an example of what I mean. At the end of the book and the series the 101st were supposedly the first to Hitler's mountain fortress. That is a pure and complete fabrication. The 101st wasn't anywhere near the fortress when it was initially captured. In fact, it was the 7th Infantry who were the first to make it to Berchtesgaden. When the 101st finally did show up they ended up getting into a fight with the 7th on who would get credit for getting their first. Eventually, the Free French would show up and demanded the same, including putting their flag above the American flag. A gun fight nearly ensued because of that. All of this is in official Army documentation. Ambrose just never verified this information and went off the word of the veterans of the 101st with his interviews. There are many other instances as well.

Don't get me wrong, the series was great in representation of our troops, but I would not hold it up completely to such a high standard when it comes to both historical fact and representation on such matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I've seen the stuff on the History Channel about the battles, Naval and land based in the Pacific theater. They interviewed the Navy and the Marines involved. The Marines were just as open as the sailors. Open and honest. Heck, there is even a reunion of the Marines and Japanese soldiers on Wake Island every year. Sadly, there are fewer of both sides that attend each year.
It is tragically sad as I feel we have entire future generations of people who will fail to understand the impact that the war had on the world. I will say that I like the History Channel, but when you have a mini series like the new America: The Story About Us with people like Sheryl Crow telling you what they think our history was, it is hard to take the channel and any of its programming seriously at times.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 05-17-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

One has to remember that the Japanese were guilty of the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor and that they were totally and completely brutal during the war. Did this cause "hate" and "racism" to bubble up - I'm sure it did. Hell, the military propaganda films of the era portrayed them as evil, sneaky sub-humans. I met a lot of folks in the Philippines that survived the Japanese occupation and the stories they'd tell would make you sick. A common event done in the villages by the occupiers would be to throw babies up in the air and "catch" them on their bayonets...