Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Recipes you'd like to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 03:12 AM   #131
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6765 Times on 4088 Posts
Likes Given: 8099

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post
Beef stroganoff

1 lb stew or stirfry meat (today I used sliced up new York strip steaks that came from my grandparents slaughter this year)

1 can beef broth

3 cloves of garlic

1/2 small can of peas

1 small can of mushrooms

1 medium sized container of sour cream (low fat works best)

Handful of flour and olive oil for cooking.

Coat the bottom of a deep skillet with oil and heat over medium while you mince the garlic. Put garlic in pan and coat the meat in flour. Add the meat to the pan, and cook until browned, stirring often. Watch closely so garlic doesn't burn. The flour should start to resemble wallpaper paste. That's normal, don't worry. Add can of beef broth and stir to deglaze the pan. Add equal amount of water. Stir (whisk) until the mixture is smooth with no flour lumps. Add peas and mushrooms (drained!) and let simmer until sauce thickens, stirring often. Once sauce has reaches desired thickness, lower heat and stir in sour cream. Continue stirring until cream melts and is thoroughly incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice or egg noodles.

Its so easy and PERFECT cold weather comfort food.

Don't leave out peas or mushrooms, it won't taste right without them. (just pick them out before you eat it, I do)
Similar to my beef stroganoff recipe but I skip the peas and add in a sliced onion. Yum, yum, yum!! And I serve it over broad egg noodles.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:19 AM   #132
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20074 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

my recipe for soft fried potatoes.
best done in a large cast iron skillet.

5-6 large potatoes, washed and cubed, but not peeled.
1 large onion, diced.
2-3 large green bell peppers, diced.
4-5 strips of bacon, chopped up.
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
1/2 teasoon of sea salt.
1/2 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning.
1/4 teaspoon of cumin. (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.

start by cooking down the chopped bacon with some of the black pepper, garlic powder and salt. add just a small amount of vegatable oil in the bottom of the pan. add in the potatoes and some of the Cajun seasoning and the cumin. need to bring the temperature of the skillet up at this point as you want to get some browning to the potatoes, but not burning them. they need to be constantly being turned. now once they have gotten some browning to them reduce the temperature, but still turning them while adding the onions and bell peppers with the rest of the remaining spices being added as it is being turned. once all this is incorporated together reduce the temperature to low and cover, letting simmer for about 30 minutes.

at this time is ready to be served! enjoy!

People Like This 
Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #133
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7841 Times on 4527 Posts
Likes Given: 10100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGodAndCountry View Post
I loathe cooking with wine. So in short, you are wrong.
Whoa now girl! That's some crazy talk there! Cooking with wine is a requirement to being a great cook!

The key is to only use the same wine as you would be serving with the meal. Have one bottle in the kitchen so you can have a glass or two while you are cooking (there has to be some for JW or anybody else who might wander through the kitchen when you are cooking!), then another bottle to put on the table with dinner.

Never use cheap wines that are not good to drink. That is where failure is the only option.

I live in wine country. I know that of which I speak! Only keep good wines on the shelf. A bad wine will never get much better, whereas a good wine gets better with age.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Whoa now girl! That's some crazy talk there! Cooking with wine is a requirement to being a great cook!

The key is to only use the same wine as you would be serving with the meal. Have one bottle in the kitchen so you can have a glass or two while you are cooking (there has to be some for JW or anybody else who might wander through the kitchen when you are cooking!), then another bottle to put on the table with dinner.

Never use cheap wines that are not good to drink. That is where failure is the only option.

I live in wine country. I know that of which I speak! Only keep good wines on the shelf. A bad wine will never get much better, whereas a good wine gets better with age.
nothing personal VikingDad and it may be regional, but i have never used wine in any recipe over the years, maybe simply because most of the time wine was just not a favored drink in the company i kept. but i have used many a beer in a recipe and beer is mandatory in my chile recipe! i sometimes will use beerin marinades for different meats before cooking. sometimes even whiskey is used for cooking and marinades.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:16 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
nothing personal VikingDad and it may be regional, but i have never used wine in any recipe over the years, maybe simply because most of the time wine was just not a favored drink in the company i kept. but i have used many a beer in a recipe and beer is mandatory in my chile recipe! i sometimes will use beerin marinades for different meats before cooking. sometimes even whiskey is used for cooking and marinades.
You may be right about the regional thing, but in any case the same rule holds true. Only use the same stuff as you are drinking. If its not good enough to drink, then its not good enough to cook with.

I refuse to make "beer can" anything because I can't stand any beer that comes in a can. On the other hand I will often use a fine craft beer for cooking.

As to bourbon in cooking? I don't drink the stuff myself, but I think you need to use fine bourbon if you are going to cook with it. Case in point, there is an ice cream joint in SF www.humphryslocombe.com that makes all sorts of crazy recipes, one of which is called "Secret Breakfast" and is made with corn flakes and bourbon. It just so happens that I know the right people and I found out that they use Jim Beam in their recipe. I questioned that choice and was told that they make some special batches with vintage Maker's Mark and it is noticeably better (though I am not quite on the "inside" so I have not had their MM version). They only use Beam due to the cost when making it for general public consumption.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 AM   #136

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In Russia from whence it came. It is always made with a Burgundy and and absolutely no mushrooms. Anyone putting peas in this Royal dish will meet the business end of a Mosin-Nagant.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 AM   #137

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Beam has a single barrel "Woodford Reserve" a very premium bourbon. Maker's Mark single barrel Number 46 is a premium bourbon as well. For baking such things as Sweet potato pie, Pecan pie only use premium bourbon.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #138

Quote:
You may be right about the regional thing, but in any case the same rule holds true. Only use the same stuff as you are drinking. If its not good enough to drink, then its not good enough to cook with.

I refuse to make "beer can" anything because I can't stand any beer that comes in a can. On the other hand I will often use a fine craft beer for cooking.

As to bourbon in cooking? I don't drink the stuff myself, but I think you need to use fine bourbon if you are going to cook with it. Case in point, there is an ice cream joint in SF www.humphryslocombe.com that makes all sorts of crazy recipes, one of which is called "Secret Breakfast" and is made with corn flakes and bourbon. It just so happens that I know the right people and I found out that they use Jim Beam in their recipe. I questioned that choice and was told that they make some special batches with vintage Maker's Mark and it is noticeably better (though I am not quite on the "inside" so I have not had their MM version). They only use Beam due to the cost when making it for general public consumption.
i agree! if it's not fit for drinking, it's not fit for cooking with for sure. when i make chili, i buy a six pack and two usually go in the chili and the other four go in the cook! i use to use Coronas but now have started using Shiner Bock beer. i like that the darker beer adds a different flavor than the lighter flavored Coronas do.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #139
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6765 Times on 4088 Posts
Likes Given: 8099

Quote:

I think that idea holds for all ingredients. Many people think they can buy cheaper ingredients if making a casserole, stew or chili. The fact is if you buy high quality ingredients you get a better tasting end result. There are very few food items I skimp on the quality. Of course, when I was lacking in money and feeding children, I could not afford to do that. But now that I'm just cooking for me and am more financially sound, I eat better and tastier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
My chili always has beer in it. The darker the better but I have been known to just use one of my cheapie Miller Lite's. LOL
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think that idea holds for all ingredients. Many people think they can buy cheaper ingredients if making a casserole, stew or chili. The fact is if you buy high quality ingredients you get a better tasting end result. There are very few food items I skimp on the quality. Of course, when I was lacking in money and feeding children, I could not afford to do that. But now that I'm just cooking for me and am more financially sound, I eat better and tastier.

My chili always has beer in it. The darker the better but I have been known to just use one of my cheapie Miller Lite's. LOL
Why bother?

I'll tell you what, If I ever come over for dinner I will bring the beer.

Quote: