Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > REALLY dumb newbie question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Dillinger- agree with everything you said- EXCEPT that bit about the Luger. I know was submitted for trials, but not aware that was ever accepted. IIRC, the standard Army sidearm at the time of the Moro Insurrection was a revolver, in cal .38 Colt. Which really sucked for stopping power. Which resulted in the "45 cal" spec from Gen Thompson.
Nope. It's true bro. The DWM Luger was in full service from 1900 up until about 1904/1906.

It's true that there were .38 Colts in use by officers during the Moro Insurrection, they also later used Colts, revolvers, chambered for .45 caliber - which may or may not have led to Gen Thompson's claims. History is somewhat gray in this part as to what caused the general's claims.

There are several sources, but one thing is definite, that neither the Luger, nor the Colt's were effective enough to stop the drug induced fighters from the Phillipine regions.

In any event, there was a Standard put forth by the military and John Browning submitted his version of a self loading pistol, that was one of six tested, and eventually won the contract.

JD

Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That is exactly what I am saying. John Moses Browning was the son of a well regarded gunsmith who had his own shop, but it was John and his brother that founded Browning Firearms, depending on where you research, either near the time of John's death, or shortly after.

The company held many, many patents at the time and was purchased by FN Herstal as part of a long relationship between John and the company.

JD
cool. im a bit of a nerd when it comes to worthless trivia that ill probably never need to know. who knows, maybe ill be in nyc sometime and end up on cash cab. ben bailey always has random questions. thanks for that interesting tidbit.