Reality "Competition" Television: Has it peaked?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Reality "Competition" Television: Has it peaked?

View Poll Results: Reality Competition Television: Waxing, Waning, or What?
Yes: Reality Competition has very little Competition in it and is dying. 6 28.57%
No: The masses crave "competing" through others, you are never getting rid of it. 11 52.38%
It's Almost Peaked: But we will always be stuck with American Idol. 3 14.29%
Face it, Richard Hatch was the well spring of which all good TV has stemmed 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Reality "Competition" Television: Has it peaked?

As the title implies, what is the shelf life on these shows before we finally stop watching?

Someone, I think it was NGIB, had posted something about Top Shot 2, and I noticed a marathon was on this weekend which I can only assume the second season if this disaster is about to be, or is currently, in broadcast.

I asked myself, why am I not watching a show about shooting? I love small arms & I enjoy history, both of which the show offers, but why is not even on my radar?

The truth of the matter is that I am SICK TO DEATH of every one of these damn shows!

Do this, do that, lose this, gain that, find this, get lost there, cook this, clean that, make this, destroy that. Do they have a contest for who can go the longest without watching anyone "compete" at anything that isn't a recognized sport? Because I think I am top 5 material on this one.

And with all these geniuses and attention seeking whores who think they have the way to stab someone in the back, get away with it and make into the all mighty "finals" where they might actually start their 15 minutes of fame.

Someone once accused Chuck Barris of being the worst thing that ever happened to entertainment. I am going to have to throw the flag on that statement.

Have we reached the Reality Show Apex yet? Or not? What say ye??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Oh wonderful, now you're doing polls.

The fact that you used Dick Hatch as an option in the choices, really makes me understand the Dick Simmons Dillinger photoshop.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

It started as a rant, but than I thought it might be good to see what you folks think in numerical data so I can drive over to your favorite, the Lifetime Network, and ram it down someone's throat.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #4

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Between the low cost to put them together and the dumbing down of the general populace, I am afraid they will be with us for awhile.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Between the low cost to put them together and the dumbing down of the general populace, I am afraid they will be with us for awhile.
Unfortunately, that's the answer in a nutshell. Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I do enjoy The Biggest Loser but the Girls should have to weigh in topless like the Men. If I have to look at floppy man boobs they could at least let us see some floppy woman bewbs.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The contrived "drama" of Top Shot was not to my liking for sure. I will state emphatically that any program which shows the masses that guns & shooting are not evil is a good thing. You have to realize that our population consists of a small number of gun fans, and equally small number of gun haters, and a majority of folks that don't care one way or another.

To see "normal" people using guns safely in a "competition" environment helps our cause as it shows guns for what they are - simply tools used by skilled craftsmen (and women)...

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have to admit I watched Survivor for the first few seasons. Haven't since then, got tired of it. I do have something wrong with me that forces me to watch the human condition that is "American Idol", though. I cringe during the prelim shows and enjoy the talent when they finally get to that part, about halfway through the competition, sadly. I love to sing, but know that I don't have what it takes to make it as a career, It's hard to believe that there are so many with no ability think they are the $h!t.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

The masses need their conflict, it's cheap, easy to make, and does not require writers, which helped us get us in this boat.

Stupid writer strike.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #10

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

What is the shelf life of all these polls thats going on thats what I want to know.