Re-enactor accidentally shoots himself

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Re-enactor accidentally shoots himself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Re-enactor accidentally shoots himself

On one of the Civil War re-enactors forums I belong to I came across this story. Lucky for the guy the musket he was using wasn't loaded.

Re-enactor accidentally shoots himself in foot

BY RICK FULTON
Times Staff Writer
Published: Monday, August 4, 2008 8:32 AM EDT
A Civil War re-enactor participating in a mock skirmish at the American Civil War Museum Sunday was injured in an apparently accidental self-inflicted “gun shot.”

The re-enactors were using blank cartridges at the time which lack a projectile and consist solely of black powder.

Police and emergency personnel responded at 3:28 p.m. to the scene of the shooting and police eventually cordoned off the area with yellow tape stating it was considered a “crime scene.”

Patrick Williams, a re-enactor from Hagerstown with the 42nd Mississippi, identified the injured compatriot as a member of the 15th Alabama.

He said he thought the injured soldier was around 17 years of age.

The Times elected not to publish the name of the injured re-enactor because of his age.

Williams stated that the units involved in the living history event at the 297 Steinwehr Ave. museum were staging a skirmish at the time of the incident.

“The shooting was almost over,” Williams said, when the victim accidentally shot himself and “got the very tip of his boot.”

The boot, left behind in the camp after the injured re-enactor was transported to York Hospital by ambulance, had a hole around the toe area about the size of a quarter surrounded with burned leather.

Williams described the injury as a “foot wound” in which one or more toenails were taken off in the blast.

Period muskets, even replicas, can shoot a sheet of flame up to three feet just from a normal powder charge.

He described the shot as having been at “point blank range” and said he believed the re-enactor was using a .69 caliber weapon.

York Hospital would only confirm that the patient was received in the emergency room, but would not release any patient information regarding status of the injured re-enactor.

Gettysburg ambulance, Medic 28, Gettysburg Borough and Cumberland Township police responded, as well as Gettysburg National Military Park security, who assisted with traffic control.

The incident was still considered under investigation by press time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2008, 03:23 AM   #2

Also, when a gun is in direct contact with a person it may not even need a projectile to cause damage, as it can inject the expanding gasses into the body. It is probable if the weapon was in contact with the boot at the time it was fired that it punched a hole through the boot and caused that damage.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #3

Blanks in the gun don't mean you can get away with being a moron !!

Guns & Ammo did a piece on this subject many years ago and it had pictures of many things that had very large holes blown in them when at or just beyond contact distance with a blank firing gun .

The most impressive to me was what looked like a very thick and well made custom western style holster that a actor was doing a fast draw with and discharged just before the muzzle cleared the leather , the hole was big enough to have put a golf ball through easily !

Imagine that big of a hole in your leg !!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Also, when a gun is in direct contact with a person it may not even need a projectile to cause damage, as it can inject the expanding gasses into the body. It is probable if the weapon was in contact with the boot at the time it was fired that it punched a hole through the boot and caused that damage.
From the damage to the man's shoe, it seems he must have had the barrel right on his foot. There also must have been some type of wadding to keep the powder in place. It's difficult for me to picture a weapon getting so hot, you could have a cook-off with the powder charge at the muzzle of that weapon, being held in place by the man's shoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Blanks in the gun don't mean you can get away with being a moron !!

Guns & Ammo did a piece on this subject many years ago and it had pictures of many things that had very large holes blown in them when at or just beyond contact distance with a blank firing gun .

The most impressive to me was what looked like a very thick and well made custom western style holster that a actor was doing a fast draw with and discharged just before the muzzle cleared the leather , the hole was big enough to have put a golf ball through easily !

Definitly. I've been re-enacting for about four years now and I have never seen anyone do anything like this. The reenactor had a poor sense of barrel awareness. What I want to know is where was the NCO & Officers when this happened? What about being properly trained and supervised?

Last edited by Slickrick214; 08-14-2008 at 04:01 AM.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post

I know of some re-enactors and black powder shooters that has fooled around with black powder muskets and have gotten burned. What was suppose to be fun ended up being a painful trip to the ER with third degree burns on their hands. At one Revolutionary War re-enactment I met a re-enactor who was dumb enough to be holding a round in his hand when he was shooting his flintlock. He took two rounds out of his cartridge box. He primed his pan then loaded the charge into his gun. Still holding the other charge in his right hand (the hand closest to the lock and frizzen) he pulled the trigger and the sparks from the flintlock ignited the cartridge which blew up in his hand and caused bad burns on his hand. He was rushed to the ER where they had to scrub the wound and irrigate it to prevent infection. It was very painful and he said he would make sure he never had a round in his hand when shooting.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #6

Could have been a lot of things: a spark, a slow burning charge, static electricity, a violation of rule #3 - Who knows? What the guy shouldn't have done is placed the muzzle on his shoe; but, look at the bright side: Right now he could be minus a forearm! (Leaning on the muzzle is the other great stupid idea that novices like to do with antique firearms.)

Old 08-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Could have been a lot of things: a spark, a slow burning charge, static electricity, a violation of rule #3 - Who knows?
Maybe. We'll see what the police say after the invesigation is done. I have a feeling though they're not going to give to much more info.

Quote:
What the guy shouldn't have done is placed the muzzle on his shoe; but, look
That and putting thier hand over the muzzle and leaning over and puting thier face close to the muzzle while the gun is loaded.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #8

Amen, brother! That's it; and, I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone with a muzzleloader do exactly that! Must be a, 'Hollywood thing'.

'Trashadelphia'! Are you saying what I think you're saying? Too funny! I'm on the committee that wants the state legislature to build a moat around the other 3 sides and, then, dynamite the bridges!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Amen, brother! That's it; and, I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone with a muzzleloader do exactly that! Must be a, 'Hollywood thing'.
I use to dumb stuff like that but then our CO and 1st sgt asked me if I wanted to get my hands and face blown off. I told them no and they said well don't do that then. That was when I first started re-enacting and I haven't done anything that stupid since. I still see new re-enactors doing that sometimes and I have to wonder how long its going to be before they shoot themselves in the face or hand.

Quote:
'Trashadelphia'! Are you saying what I think you're saying? Too funny! I'm on the committee that wants the state legislature to build a moat around the other 3 sides and, then, dynamite the bridges!
Yes probably, this city is trash and its run by a bunch of Dumbocrat Commie morons. I hate this city and the people who live in it. Once I'm done college I'm moving down south where I belong. (yes I fight for the Confederates when I re-enact the Civil War and do living history events at schools.)