Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ray Manzarek Of The Doors Dead At 74!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default Ray Manzarek Of The Doors Dead At 74!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/showbiz/music/ray-manzaerk-the-doors-dies

The Doors' Ray Manzarek dies at 74

updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue May 21, 2013

The Doors' founding keyboardist, Ray Manzarek, died at 74 in Germany on Monday, May 20, after a long fight with cancer, his publicist said.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The Doors' founding keyboardist Ray Manzarek has died
Manzarek, 74, was suffering from bile duct cancer
The musician "went for performance" as a producer, bassist of punk band X said in 2004

(CNN) -- The Doors' founding keyboardist, Ray Manzarek, died in Germany Monday after a long fight with cancer, his publicist said in a statement. He was 74.

The artist had been diagnosed with bile duct cancer.

The Doors formed in 1965 after Manzarek happened to meet Jim Morrison on California's Venice Beach. The legendary rock group went on to sell 100 million albums worldwide, establishing five multiplatinum discs in the U.S.

Photos: People we lost in 2013

Morrison died in 1971, but Manzarek carried on The Doors' legacy, continuing to work as a musician and an author.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," said Doors guitarist Robby Krieger. "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

The band famously defied Ed Sullivan's request that they not sing the lyric "higher" when they performed "Light My Fire" on his show in 1969. A show producer approached them in the dressing room shortly before they were to perform, Manzarek recalled in an interview with CNN in 2002.

Manzarek remembers the band publicly agreeing like choirboys.

" 'Yes, sir,' we told him," he recalls. "'Whatever you say, sir. We'll change.' (The producer) looked at Jim and said, 'You're the poet. Think of something else -- 'wire,' 'flyer.' "

Then the Doors went out and did the song exactly as they always did. Sullivan was so furious he didn't even shake their hands.

Manzarek went on to produce the Los Angeles punk band X. Bassist John Doe said the band learned a lot from him.

"To have someone like Ray -- like rock 'n' roll royalty -- embrace what we do, it was great for our confidence," Doe told CNN in a 2004 interview. "In the studio, he knew what to try to do. He went for performance. He was smart enough to realize that the band had the arrangements all worked out."

Manzarek is survived by his brothers Rick and James, his wife Dorothy, his son Pablo, and three grandchildren. Instead of flowers, the family's asked that a donation be made in Manzarek's name at www.standup2cancer.org.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 765 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Loved there music years ago then came to my senses and realized that the band as individuals was pretty sad. As a group for there day they were OK. Without the poet they were horrible. Still a shame as there music when I hear it brings back some good memories.

USMC 74-78

Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1088 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I am a Doors' fan, and always wondered how they would have changed with the time. They were a very entertaining band.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1443 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 2402

I would say that they were before my time but their time never died, nor did their music.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

He was 74? I don't remember him being that old.

No offense and none taken

Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1771 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
He was 74? I don't remember him being that old.
I was shocked that he's only 4 years younger than my Mom.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #7

Liked 627 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

Default Rest in peace Ray...

Married to the same woman for 46 years... A rarity in the Rock N Roll world. His piano playing on "Roadhouse Blues" was EPIC!! Every time I hear that song I can smell the BBQ cooking, the beer on tap and the exhaust from the semi's and Harleys pulling up in the parking lot of a honkey tonk...

My generation owes him a debt for bringing such bands as "X" and Echo & the Bunnymen to our attention by producing them.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 AM   #8

Liked 826 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 818

A sad day in Rock & Roll indeed................

When all else fails.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

I had a roommate after college who liked the Doors... I thought it was the worst **** I ever heard... then along came rap... Doors 'music' still sucks tho.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #10

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Omg!

Was donthav1 working on his house too!?