Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Rant: TV Show Flashpoint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rant: TV Show Flashpoint

Ok, we were talking about this show on "The Unit" thread, discussing how good this show could be, but how lame it actually is.

So I watched this weeks episode when I got home from work this morning, and was once again frustrated.

Full tactical unit outside the house, and two women are inside fighting each other over a butcher knife in the living room just inside the front door. They have eyes on for part of the struggle, and can hear the fight. In what world do the cops not go in on a deal like that?

Instead they stand around and let the hostage-taker move upstairs, into a barricaded position. Then an argument breaks out over the radio between the team commander, the negotiator, and an entry team member over whether to breach. The entry team member, who has eyes on through a skylight, is over-ruled by the negotiator who is talking to the hostage-taker on a two-way radio...and I should probably say talking-at, because there isn't any dialogue from the hostage-taker.

Absolutely drove me nuts...lets see how many more mistakes the Police Strategic Response Unit can make for the sole purpose of increasing drama (while decreasing believeability and enjoyment).

The first episode of this show had a sniper head shot on a hostage-taker in the first 10 minutes, realistically dealing with a tough scenario. I thought "Wow, this might be a show to watch, not your typical SoCal, bash the police BS." I am doubting myself more with every episode.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 01-20-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Absolutely drove me nuts...lets see how many more mistakes the Police Strategic Response Unit can make for the sole purpose of increasing drama (while decreasing believeability and enjoyment).
Well, the purpose of the show is to entertain, not document correct police procedures.

Besides, everything went downhill on police shows since Sgt Friday retired....

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Agree, I couldn't even stand to watch it. Can look past some things, but this one was irritating from the start. Oh well, another failure...no great loss.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, that show is not very well done at all. Which is odd, because it seems to have a pretty decent production budget, and the Toronto ( Montreal? ) Mounties actually "loan" real officers for the "background" scenes of street closings and things of that nature along the same lines the Navy/Marines used to loan their guys for JAG.

I have been routinely disappointed with that show & yet, like a dumbass, I keep recording it on the DVR and watching once a week hoping it will get better.....

JD

Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I have been routinely disappointed with that show & yet, like a dumbass, I keep recording it on the DVR and watching once a week hoping it will get better.....

JD
Don't feel like the only one...I am doing the same thing.

I also do that with the TNT show Saving Grace. I live in Oklahoma City, so the fact that it is set here was intriguing. I watch and routinely think "what a piece of crap" but something keeps me watching it. Part of it is how badly the writers translate Oklahoma and OKC Police, but I think even if I didn't realize how wrong the portrayal was, I still wouldn't like the show....BUT I KEEP WATCHING IT...WTF!?

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, we have taken our shots, but has anyone seen the resent episode "Haunting the Barn" about a former SRU member who returns to the station house and has a stand off with the team?

I thought that was one of the best episodes, hands down, that they have done.

The protrayal of PTSD was very well done and the acting skills displayed by the team sniper, Ed, were very good.

That was one episode that I did not feel cheated on watching.

I would like to extend +1 to the writing staff on that episode.

JD

Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Okay, we have taken our shots, but has anyone seen the resent episode "Haunting the Barn" about a former SRU member who returns to the station house and has a stand off with the team?

The protrayal of PTSD was very well done and the acting skills displayed by the team sniper, Ed, were very good.

JD

I second this... I've only seen a few episodes, none really note worthy. Until this last one, truly engaging story and the acting was excellent.

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object."
-Thomas Jefferson

NRA Member

Old 01-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #8

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Come on you guys, don't you realize we are way less than 1% of the target audience?

It's freakin' entertainment! In the words of the Horneywood $ guys, "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Let me give you a (several) case(s) in point; what submarine movie were you most impressed with? Crimson Tide, Hunt for Red October, Das Boot, The Widow Maker and I can go on and on. I'm sure some of these were entertaining to you, right?

Well they were ALL bull sh1t! I've been there, they're ALL bull sh1t! Your b1tching is reminiscent of the discussions my 'bubble head' friends had each time we would critic a sub movie.

Get over it! It's freakin' entertainment!

Turn off your brain and just be entertained.

What are you looking for, training? If so, what's the first thing a GOOD instructor tells you?

"This is muscle memory instruction and nothing else, the minute the SHTF the battle plan goes out the window!"

JD +1 on the "Haunting the Barn"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-25-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

JD
+1.

I watched this on my DVR tonight before coming into work, and have to agree that this has been the best episode of the season by far.

I especially liked the line about spending a career witnessing the worst 20 minutes of other peoples lives. This is one aspect of this show I enjoyed in the first season, its not all high-speed action. They developed situations where you could relate to the badguy, like the episode with the child needing the organ transplant. After this weeks episode I'm not as ready to take this off my record list as I was.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

T.V. is like the internet you really should beleive everything you see.WE THE PEOPLE have a responsibility to beleive everything the mainstream media says we should beleive.

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)