Rant, the death of one.....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Rant, the death of one.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rant, the death of one.....

THIS WAS WRITTEN BY A SOLDIER IN IRAQ .
Okay, I need to rant. I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson.. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villain to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood , and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who,knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America . Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think, that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan . They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it. Feel free to pass this along if you want. Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military: "So that others may live..."

Isaac

So true, I can't even think of anything to add to this.

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I feel ya and I hear ya loud and clear.

I don't think they could keep their mouths shut long enough to observe a moment of silence for fallen HEROS.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN
I would say that happened right about the time of the end of the Korean Conflict and the start of Vietnam.

THe Liberal Press decided that, because there was a draft, that somehow soldiers were no longer due respect and honor.

There is a ton of truth in what that younger soldier has written and that is a shameful thing to have to admit.

God Speed Soldiers!!

JD

Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It is sad that people curse our nation's warriors and praise a pedophile.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I served and I agree and I am tired of hearing the MJ crap on the news every day going on and on and on......when will it end??

Those that gave up all their tomorrows for our freedom, I salute you, for you are the real true heroes of our Nation, and do not get any press coverage.

OC

"magbum"

Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

[QUOTE] After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

The truth, nuff said.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #7

What MrKimber write's is so true. I've thought about this myself. If someone in the service, or a veteran, dies...they're lucky if they get small write-up in their hometown paper.

As a friend of mine said, when I was in the Army...years ago, "The masses are a**es."

Edited to add: That's not to say individual folks aren't great people. Just that, as a society = as stated above.

Last edited by Weathermaker; 08-03-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Amen.

I "fondly" remember being spit on while going thru the San Francisco airport in 1973. Back then we were required to travel in our uniform. It took every bit of restraint I had not to break a bunch of necks that day.

All is not lost though as there are still real Americans among us. When my son came in from Iraq on his mid-tour leave, people stood up and cheered as the soldiers came up the escalators and perfect strangers shook my son's hand...

Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Truly well expressed.

Not to long ago a local Mayor got a lot of flack for having all the city flags lowered to half mast to honor a local fallen soldier. Apparently the Mayor over stepped his athourity and got flamed on the local news. I emailed the local station and suggested instead of being upset with the Mayor we should be upset with anyone that finds it wrong to honor a fallen hero. I never heard back from the station.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Amen.

I "fondly" remember being spit on while going thru the San Francisco airport in 1973. Back then we were required to travel in our uniform. It took every bit of restraint I had not to break a bunch of necks that day.

All is not lost though as there are still real Americans among us. When my son came in from Iraq on his mid-tour leave, people stood up and cheered as the soldiers came up the escalators and perfect strangers shook my son's hand...
Wow, Man. I will admit that your story hurts me a lot. It hurts my pride and my sense of honor and my heart. I knew this kinda thing happened back then, but hearing it first hand really brings it home.

I wish that I could apologize for what your countrymen have done to you. I wish I could make it never have happened. Sadly, I don't have the authority to do either, though.

Here is all that I can do:

I can tell you I am ashamed that we ever thought it was OK to treat our very best the way you were treated.

I can promise you that I would never treat you that way, or suffer others to treat you so discracfully in my presence.

I can say that I am very happy that you got the chance to see your son treated with the respect and love that we owed both of you.

I hope that you can forgive us our terrible mistake. Not because we deserve it, but so that you can know peace in your heart.

With deepest respect and admiration, Mike Nash