Rant - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Rant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
...So, as a practical matter, how does LA get this done? Is there some sort of checking in with other states as to what you may have bought? Or is it left to your good will? I bet if it's the latter, they don't collect much.
If it is anything like MS, you would be surprised what gets collected in an audit. A dilligent auditor will check a businesses sales/use tax returns, income tax returns for the business and/or owners of the business, as well as investigate the returns of people receiving major 1099 payments from the business. When I was leaving that job, there were auditors actively mining ebay and craigslist for leads on big ticket purchases that had use tax due on them. At my current job, I have seen an auditor for the state assess use tax due on equipment purchased out-of-state for a food vendor to use in state.

When I worked for the state, I half-jokingly threatened to assess my supervisor for use tax on a computer purchased online. He later showed me that tax was paid to MS (Dell). I LOL'd.

Use tax is common to many states and is due on purchases that would have generated sales tax if they had occurred within the state. example of MS FAQ's http://www.dor.ms.gov/info/faqs/UseFAQ.pdf

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #52

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 733

I read that link. I still don't understand how on earth that many retailers could possibly collect that much info, and how the state could possibly crunch those numbers. Like from the store just over the border that sells beer and cigs, and makes thousands of small transactions a day. Or a supermarket.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I read that link. I still don't understand how on earth that many retailers could possibly collect that much info, and how the state could possibly crunch those numbers. Like from the store just over the border that sells beer and cigs, and makes thousands of small transactions a day. Or a supermarket.
They can't catch it all. Their objective is to make it suck bad enough for the ones they do catch to deter others (like a public hanging). A mistake on your return can be easily doubled by interest and penalty. I got MAJOR grief for settling some old income tax audits (federal leads CP2000) by offering to ditch the penalty if paid within 30 days.

Additionally, the feds have been working on a way to expand 1099 reporting and such to make it easier to ID shoppers. Old school would be as a part "source and applications" audit (could you live like you did on what you reported); what did you pay to your credit cards and what was it for (as a part of verifying deductions claimed or income reported). Auditors use leads from other audits.

I may cheat on some things, but my tax returns freakin SQUEAK. When I worked for the state and taught night classes, my income was sooo steady that my refunds would be in single digits; they got what they were owed didn't get to hold much of my money that they weren't owed.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-10-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #54
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4297

NM is 7%; but, if you go on base it is tax free, depending on what they have in the gun cabinet and the rifle/shotgun rotating cabinets. I got lucky 2 months ago and pickup a Mossberg MVP Varmint for $555; however, selection varies.

The ammo selection is a hit and miss for on-base as well. I usually purchase locally.