Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   range rules (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/range-rules-4946/)

swordfish 06-13-2008 07:27 PM

range rules

Does anyone know if it's ok to bring a shotgun to ranges if they mostly shoot rifles there?

Also is it allowed to shoot a pistol on the rifle range to test long range pistol shooting out?

Thanks

matt g 06-13-2008 07:31 PM

If you're on public lands it's okay. If you're headed to a private range, I'd contact them first.

ScottG 06-13-2008 08:14 PM

At one indoor range I've used they only have twenty five and fifty yard bays. The twenty five yard ranges are only pistol, the fifty are rifle and pistol. I think you'd be ok . Most private ranges I know of don't allow shotguns at all. More likely to allow them if it's an outdoor range.

bkt 06-13-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordfish (Post 27799)
Does anyone know if it's ok to bring a shotgun to ranges if they mostly shoot rifles there?

Also is it allowed to shoot a pistol on the rifle range to test long range pistol shooting out?

Thanks

It depends on the range. If it's a private club, contact those who manage it and ask. They'd probably let you pattern a shotgun without too much fuss.

NYPD13 06-13-2008 08:51 PM

Every Range Has There Own Rules Based Upon Location, Construction, And Insurance. Simply Call Ahead And They Will Answer Your Questions. My Local Outdoor Range Has Designated Areas For Shotgun Only, However Slugs And Slug Barrels Are Welcome On The Rifle Line. Also Ask What Shot Is Permitted. My Nearest Indoor Range Only Permits Bird Shot.

Righteous 06-13-2008 11:12 PM

FOP range here lets ya shoot anything and everything on pistol or rifle range

G21.45 06-13-2008 11:45 PM

:rolleyes: Of the 3 public ranges and 2 private clubs I use, only 1 of them allows the use of a shotgun in areas where rifles or pistols are normally used.

That single exception is a sparsely used range; and, I'm sure that after someone takes a load of birdshot at or about the head, the use of shotguns at this range will finally be curtailed. (It's not like the board hasn't been warned!)

The other problem is with spent shotgun hulls. Unless you pick them up, they're probably just going to lie there forever! (About as annoying as steel rifle cases.) ;)

RL357Mag 06-14-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordfish (Post 27799)

Thanks

The public range I used to go to many years ago allowed shotguns on the rifle range as long as you used slugs - they tend to not like it much when you pepper the guys targets next to you with pellets! They also allowed high power hanguns on the rifle range, I left early that day because I couldn't stand the muzzle blast from the guy next to me shooting his scoped .454...
That was also the last time I went to that range -

CARNUT1100 06-16-2008 03:04 AM

My range has a clay target range and a simulated field shotgun range but they also have a western action and IPSC area.
We shoot everything, but not everyone does. there is another club around here that shoots only pistol and nothing else and another that shoots only rifle and shotgun.
Ask first and you will find out.

RL357Mag 06-16-2008 03:11 AM

I got disgusted with range fee's, weekend warriors, and range officers who thought they were LE officers. So I bought property - now I shoot what I want, when I want, at whatever I want, and for free - well almost, I pay property taxes...