Range etiquette
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Range etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Range etiquette

I just started using a new range, and I have a few questions.

1. Is it ok to just leave your target up when you leave? There are no posted rules about this, and everyone seems to do it.

2. When you are done for the day, and want to either get, or see your target (at least 100 yard walk just to get to it), do you call a cease fire, or wait until someone else doe it. (in other words, is it rude to stop everyone from shooting just so you can see your target?) (also know that I am not use to a public range like this)

thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not a fan of public ranges. But I'll try to answer your questions;

1. Be responsible and pick up after yourself. Just because everybody else leaves their trash doesn't make it ok.

2. You are sharing the public range with other shooters. Try and call a cease fire that is fair for everybody. If another shooter is shooting, wait until they stop.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post

1. Be responsible and pick up after yourself. Just because everybody else leaves their trash doesn't make it ok.

2. You are sharing the public range with other shooters. Try and call a cease fire that is fair for everybody. If another shooter is shooting, wait until they stop.
Thanks.

The funny thing about #1 is that the first time I went, they had this old piece of plywood about 50 yards out. It was completely covered in old targets, so I just stuck mine in the middle. Well, after I finished shooting, I took a peak behind it and guess what I saw. Absolutely nothing. There was actually a HUGE hole in the plywood, and the only thing holding my target up was the old targets.
They have since cleaned the range, so the plywood backers are not covered in paper yet. I'll be sure to clean up after myself.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2968 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post

1. Agreed. Additionally, if you have unused targets, pull them and if you no longer want them, see if any of the remaining shooters might want them.

2. I would add, wait a reasonable amount of time then politely ask for a ceasefire, if needed. Some people can be pretty wrapped up in their own little world, and may not notice you.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #5

Liked 4207 Times on 2062 Posts
Likes Given: 829

When I go to a range I clean up all my brass, and target debris, as a courtesy I try to clean up as much as possible from other people too. Someone has to clean it up, might as well help out.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #6

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

1. At the range i go to, you have to take your used targets, and target stand with you. Most people use real estate signs, you can just stick them in the ground at whatever yardage you intend to shoot. Dont want to know where all those real estate signs came from LOL... I got mine at a garage sale

2. I have a cheapo tasco spotting scope. Works real good at 100yrds. I check shot placement with it, the range master calls a cease fire about every 20 min, so everyone can go downrange and check, or change targets.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Last edited by readygirl; 04-25-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4105

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I just started using a new range, and I have a few questions.

1. Is it ok to just leave your target up when you leave? There are no posted rules about this, and everyone seems to do it.

2. When you are done for the day, and want to either get, or see your target (at least 100 yard walk just to get to it), do you call a cease fire, or wait until someone else doe it. (in other words, is it rude to stop everyone from shooting just so you can see your target?) (also know that I am not use to a public range like this)

thanks.
1. - Local range we use, it is required to remove the target unless the next one to that position says to leave it.

2. - We usually fire for 10 minute intervals and cease fire is called, weapons are checked and cleared and the range goes cold. Unless there is an situation, i.e. accident or low flying aircraft / helo from nearby airport.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My outdoor range has chicken wire so you just take some clothes pins. When I go to the public range, I try to make some rules with the shooters, and then put my targets up. A good spotting scope will make everyone happy.
I put a tarp down to catch my brass.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I put up my right handed screen so my brass doesn't go flying at the person in the lane next to me. Before each session calls a cease fire (each session lasts about 15-20 mins.) I'll preload my magazines, then when the line goes hot again I'll have my fiancée hop on the line. While she's shooting I'll sweep up my general area, dump brass and load up the next set of magazines. Keep it moving, keep it clean. And I grab my target before we leave, I've actually had the range officer(s) tell me to leave them before, kinda threw me off, but hey, it's their range.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
1. Agreed. Additionally, if you have unused targets, pull them and if you no longer want them, see if any of the remaining shooters might want them.

2. I would add, wait a reasonable amount of time then politely ask for a ceasefire, if needed. Some people can be pretty wrapped up in their own little world, and may not notice you.
lol, probably the biggest thing I worry about at the range is someone calling a cease fire, and me either not noticing, or hearing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
When I go to a range I clean up all my brass, and target debris, as a courtesy I try to clean up as much as possible from other people too. Someone has to clean it up, might as well help out.
I don't worry about leaving brass, I always collect mine, and any other that may be left regardless of caliber. lol, either I'll eventually get a gun in that caliber and reload, or I will trade it for brass I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
1. At the range i go to, you have to take your used targets, and target stand with you. Most people use real estate signs, you can just stick them in the ground at whatever yardage you intend to shoot. Dont want to know where all those real estate signs came from LOL... I got mine at a garage sale

2. I have a cheapo tasco spotting scope. Works real good at 100yrds. I check shot placement with it, the range master calls a cease fire about every 20 min, so everyone can go downrange and check, or change targets.
I'll have to look into that spotting scope. That 100 yards seems a lot farther way when you have to go over rocky land with a lot of high weeds. We don't have a range officer, so your pretty much in charge of the cease fires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
1. - Local range we use, it is required to remove the target unless the next one to that position says to leave it.

2. - We usually fire for 10 minute intervals and cease fire is called, weapons are checked and cleared and the range goes cold. Unless there is an situation, i.e. accident or low flying aircraft / helo from nearby airport.
LMAO. I'll be sure to watch out for those pesky planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygoogle View Post
My outdoor range has chicken wire so you just take some clothes pins. When I go to the public range, I try to make some rules with the shooters, and then put my targets up. A good spotting scope will make everyone happy.
I put a tarp down to catch my brass.
We just use plywood boards. You have to either use the self stick kind, or bring pins.