Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Range etiquette (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/range-etiquette-63211/)

texaswoodworker 04-24-2012 10:46 PM

Range etiquette

I just started using a new range, and I have a few questions.

1. Is it ok to just leave your target up when you leave? There are no posted rules about this, and everyone seems to do it.

2. When you are done for the day, and want to either get, or see your target (at least 100 yard walk just to get to it), do you call a cease fire, or wait until someone else doe it. (in other words, is it rude to stop everyone from shooting just so you can see your target?) (also know that I am not use to a public range like this)

thanks.

dks7895 04-24-2012 10:53 PM

I'm not a fan of public ranges. But I'll try to answer your questions;

1. Be responsible and pick up after yourself. Just because everybody else leaves their trash doesn't make it ok.

2. You are sharing the public range with other shooters. Try and call a cease fire that is fair for everybody. If another shooter is shooting, wait until they stop.

texaswoodworker 04-24-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dks7895 (Post 780966)

1. Be responsible and pick up after yourself. Just because everybody else leaves their trash doesn't make it ok.

2. You are sharing the public range with other shooters. Try and call a cease fire that is fair for everybody. If another shooter is shooting, wait until they stop.

Thanks.

The funny thing about #1 is that the first time I went, they had this old piece of plywood about 50 yards out. It was completely covered in old targets, so I just stuck mine in the middle. Well, after I finished shooting, I took a peak behind it and guess what I saw. Absolutely nothing. There was actually a HUGE hole in the plywood, and the only thing holding my target up was the old targets. :D
They have since cleaned the range, so the plywood backers are not covered in paper yet. I'll be sure to clean up after myself.

Overkill0084 04-24-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dks7895 (Post 780966)

1. Agreed. Additionally, if you have unused targets, pull them and if you no longer want them, see if any of the remaining shooters might want them.

2. I would add, wait a reasonable amount of time then politely ask for a ceasefire, if needed. Some people can be pretty wrapped up in their own little world, and may not notice you.

Mosin 04-25-2012 12:02 AM

When I go to a range I clean up all my brass, and target debris, as a courtesy I try to clean up as much as possible from other people too. Someone has to clean it up, might as well help out.

readygirl 04-25-2012 12:09 AM

1. At the range i go to, you have to take your used targets, and target stand with you. Most people use real estate signs, you can just stick them in the ground at whatever yardage you intend to shoot. Dont want to know where all those real estate signs came from LOL... I got mine at a garage sale

2. I have a cheapo tasco spotting scope. Works real good at 100yrds. I check shot placement with it, the range master calls a cease fire about every 20 min, so everyone can go downrange and check, or change targets.

Bigcountry02 04-25-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 780960)
I just started using a new range, and I have a few questions.

1. Is it ok to just leave your target up when you leave? There are no posted rules about this, and everyone seems to do it.

2. When you are done for the day, and want to either get, or see your target (at least 100 yard walk just to get to it), do you call a cease fire, or wait until someone else doe it. (in other words, is it rude to stop everyone from shooting just so you can see your target?) (also know that I am not use to a public range like this)

thanks.

1. - Local range we use, it is required to remove the target unless the next one to that position says to leave it.

2. - We usually fire for 10 minute intervals and cease fire is called, weapons are checked and cleared and the range goes cold. Unless there is an situation, i.e. accident or low flying aircraft / helo from nearby airport.

barneygoogle 04-25-2012 12:42 AM

My outdoor range has chicken wire so you just take some clothes pins. When I go to the public range, I try to make some rules with the shooters, and then put my targets up. A good spotting scope will make everyone happy.
I put a tarp down to catch my brass.

XxChino13xX 04-25-2012 12:46 AM

I put up my right handed screen so my brass doesn't go flying at the person in the lane next to me. Before each session calls a cease fire (each session lasts about 15-20 mins.) I'll preload my magazines, then when the line goes hot again I'll have my fiancée hop on the line. While she's shooting I'll sweep up my general area, dump brass and load up the next set of magazines. Keep it moving, keep it clean. And I grab my target before we leave, I've actually had the range officer(s) tell me to leave them before, kinda threw me off, but hey, it's their range.

texaswoodworker 04-25-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 781016)
1. Agreed. Additionally, if you have unused targets, pull them and if you no longer want them, see if any of the remaining shooters might want them.

2. I would add, wait a reasonable amount of time then politely ask for a ceasefire, if needed. Some people can be pretty wrapped up in their own little world, and may not notice you.

lol, probably the biggest thing I worry about at the range is someone calling a cease fire, and me either not noticing, or hearing it. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 781040)
When I go to a range I clean up all my brass, and target debris, as a courtesy I try to clean up as much as possible from other people too. Someone has to clean it up, might as well help out.

I don't worry about leaving brass, I always collect mine, and any other that may be left regardless of caliber. lol, either I'll eventually get a gun in that caliber and reload, or I will trade it for brass I need. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl (Post 781049)
1. At the range i go to, you have to take your used targets, and target stand with you. Most people use real estate signs, you can just stick them in the ground at whatever yardage you intend to shoot. Dont want to know where all those real estate signs came from LOL... I got mine at a garage sale

2. I have a cheapo tasco spotting scope. Works real good at 100yrds. I check shot placement with it, the range master calls a cease fire about every 20 min, so everyone can go downrange and check, or change targets.

I'll have to look into that spotting scope. That 100 yards seems a lot farther way when you have to go over rocky land with a lot of high weeds. We don't have a range officer, so your pretty much in charge of the cease fires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 (Post 781069)
1. - Local range we use, it is required to remove the target unless the next one to that position says to leave it.

2. - We usually fire for 10 minute intervals and cease fire is called, weapons are checked and cleared and the range goes cold. Unless there is an situation, i.e. accident or low flying aircraft / helo from nearby airport.

LMAO. I'll be sure to watch out for those pesky planes. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by barneygoogle (Post 781083)
My outdoor range has chicken wire so you just take some clothes pins. When I go to the public range, I try to make some rules with the shooters, and then put my targets up. A good spotting scope will make everyone happy.
I put a tarp down to catch my brass.

We just use plywood boards. You have to either use the self stick kind, or bring pins.