Random Thoughts Thread - Page 878
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #8771
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4067 Times on 2251 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Question... Did you miss the interjection that said, "nor do I want to"?

On a completely unrelated topic, here's my issue of the day:

I realize that I'm a very little girl in a man's world, I get that. I knew it was going to be tough, I knew there would be people who didn't think I could do it, I knew that I wouldn't be wanted. BUT am I so wrong to think that I deserve to be treated with a little bit of respect, instead of outright contempt?

I'm okay now...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Last edited by Cinderocka1989; 02-22-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #8772
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8347 Times on 4986 Posts
Likes Given: 10827

I fully understand where you're coming from, Cinder. But I guarantee you some men get reeeaaaaallly pissed when women mention the world doesn't always accept our abilities as they do men. I've gotten bashed for saying things like that a time or two.

But you are so right.

I went to my LGS today because I am having a complete lower receiver for an AR15 sent to me. The gun shop guy said, "YOU'RE building an AR?" as he looked at me over the top of his glasses. Now, I bet he wouldn't have said that to a man.

And yes, folks, I am going to attempt to complete this AR. I am getting a complete lower receiver so I won't have to mess with the trigger assembly but I am going to need help finishing this thing.

Who's going to be there for me on this project because I guarantee you I won't be able to do it alone. Remember me and my Mark II project?

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-22-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #8773
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I fully understand where you're coming from, Cinder. But I guarantee you some men get reeeaaaaallly pissed when women mention the world doesn't always accept our abilities as they do men. I've gotten bashed for saying things like that a time or two.

But you are so right.

I went to my LGS today because I am having a complete lower receiver for an AR15 sent to me. The gun shop guy said, "YOU'RE building an AR?" as he looked at me over the top of his glasses. Now, I bet he wouldn't have said that to a man.

And yes, folks, I am going to attempt to complete this AR. I am getting a complete lower receiver so I won't have to mess with the trigger assembly but I am going to need help finishing this thing.

Who's going to be there for me on this project because I guarantee you I won't be able to do it alone. Remember me and my Mark II project?
Good luck WoC. It sounds like you are about to have a whole lot of fun. I had always thought that ARs were basically banned in Ilinois. I guess not.
I wouldn't worry too much about having trouble getting it together, there are plenty of people here who would be more then happy to help you.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 02-22-2012 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Justin Bieber SUCKS!!! :D

Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #8774

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

But you are so right.

YOU'RE going to be building an ar? How much you've changed Winds
And you've got my help, and I can lend you some of my tools if need be

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #8775
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Good luck WoC. It sounds like you are about to have a whole lot of fun. I had always thought that ARs were basically banned in Ilinois. I guess not.
I wouldn't worry too much about having trouble getting it together, there are plenty of people here who would be more then happy to help you.
I do believe AR's are banned in Chicago/Cook County. I live in DeKalb County. They are NOT banned here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
YOU'RE going to be building an ar? How much you've changed Winds
And you've got my help, and I can lend you some of my tools if need be
Well, I beleive the lower is complete......trigger assembly and all. I don't know what else I have to do to have a shootable AR15. But if I can't do it, then I know Stalkingbear will help me when I visit him in the Spring. I see him twice a year, Spring and Fall..........whether he likes it or not. LOL

Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #8776

Liked 1272 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Ahh 68 today and mid 70s tomar . Time to get the pig back out and make sure it has gas this time . Its rather boring on the side of the road with a bike thats out of gas , no radio and you suddenly not cool anymore
For some reason the fine folks at Harley Davidson decided it would be funny not to put a fuel gauge on a fast bike with a 1 gallon fuel tank Thats ok , ill stop every 50 miles if im lucky , oh wait , i took the speedometer off .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #8777

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I guess I'll stop and give you a hand if you don't mind my GoldWing SE - - - I love the creature comforts and even though I have about 130,000 miles it still looks, and operates like new.

Yes I have a stereo, intercom, blue tooth, reverse, cruise control plenty of storage, etc.

I have a problem in that I keep running into puddles - - - Went east to Myrtle Beach and couldn’t go further - - - Went South to Key West . another puddle - - - -Went south again and another puddle at New Orleans - - - -Went west and Portland Oregon had another puddle.

My wife tells me the puddles North are solid - - - not sure I want to try them!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #8778
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 9077 Times on 5274 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

But you are so right.

I'd be happy to help, except I have no experience with AR's. I am wanting to build one up but don't have the $$$$.

Yesterday my son was looking up parts for our future build and found a feature on Brownells where you can build a "virtual" AR to figure out costs, etc.. Neat feature. Not sure If I will use it but it is neat. http://www.ar15builder.com/

Yesterday I was working on my GP100 and dropped one tiny pin on the floor (found it even though it was hiding real good!) and then, being extra careful, I launched the detent spring for the cylinder lock to the back of the bench straight for the gap where it can fall behind the shelving and be lost forever. Fortunately it got caught by a piece of paper towel covering the crack.

I thought of you.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #8779
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 9077 Times on 5274 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I realize that I'm a very little girl in a man's world, I get that. I knew it was going to be tough, I knew there would be people who didn't think I could do it, I knew that I wouldn't be wanted. BUT am I so wrong to think that I deserve to be treated with a little bit of respect, instead of outright contempt?
It may be a small consolation but one of my observations has been that women mechanics are much better than their male coworkers simply because they are women. In order to be taken seriously and to be treated respectfully you little gals become more highly skilled at your job. You are pretty young yet but my bet is, based on what you have said RE all things mechanical, that you are off to a great start. Pretty soon you will be the go-to mechanic when the guys get their nuts in the gears (pardon the expression) and can't figure out how to fix something on their own. I spent over 20 years as an auto mechanic and the women I know who worked in that field were without exception excellent mechanics.

Hang in there Cinder!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #8780
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I'd be happy to help, except I have no experience with AR's. I am wanting to build one up but don't have the $$$$.

Yesterday my son was looking up parts for our future build and found a feature on Brownells where you can build a "virtual" AR to figure out costs, etc.. Neat feature. Not sure If I will use it but it is neat. http://www.ar15builder.com/

Yesterday I was working on my GP100 and dropped one tiny pin on the floor (found it even though it was hiding real good!) and then, being extra careful, I launched the detent spring for the cylinder lock to the back of the bench straight for the gap where it can fall behind the shelving and be lost forever. Fortunately it got caught by a piece of paper towel covering the crack.

I thought of you.
Oh, man! Now I'm going to have nightmares reliving that whole situation.