Random Thoughts Thread - Page 843
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #8421
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Not to dig up old corpses, but my exact quote is:

"What riles me the most is that some people parent the way they were parented because they "turned out fine". What if you turned out fine in spite of bad parenting?"

Just sayin'.
I have to say, I do, to an extent, agree with you here.
My dad spanked me only when I made a "bad enough" mistake, or if chastisment and encouraging other habits. I grew to fear the belt but respect my dad for it. He was never "abusive."
However, every parent has to make the decision for themselves
Bad parenting can go both ways though. My cousin ran over his sister's foot, rear ended a beamer, and tried setting the curtains on fire by age 7. All he ever saw was time out and chastisment.(the curtains were during his time out, actually.) Now he drinks, smokes weed, and steals his dad's truck(and his ever loving mom won't allow the pd to intervene, even when he broke into his dad's liquor cabinet and drank something like 200 bucks worth of whiskey)
I would have spanked him.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #8422
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8766 Times on 5238 Posts
Likes Given: 11638

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Bad parenting can go both ways though. My cousin ran over his sister's foot, rear ended a beamer, and tried setting the curtains on fire by age 7. All he ever saw was time out and chastisment.(the curtains were during his time out, actually.) Now he drinks, smokes weed, and steals his dad's truck(and his ever loving mom won't allow the pd to intervene, even when he broke into his dad's liquor cabinet and drank something like 200 bucks worth of whiskey)
I would have spanked him.
Sometimes children who behave like this have "more going on" than just discipline problems, though I agree most kids who behave like this are due to poor parenting. I have known very good families who have wonderful children.........except one 'bad seed'. It almost seems like a genetic glitch or a personality flaw.......or something. Though in this case it does seem like poor parenting.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #8423
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

AWD. Azz Whippin Deficient. Curable disorder.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #8424

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
AWD. Azz Whippin Deficient. Curable disorder.
Yeah. The catch is my aunt saw my dad get his ass whupped by my grandad over stupid sh*t because for much of his time, he was a functioning alcoholic so that scares her but damn. The kid was always hitting me up for booze and the like, wants me to take him. Shooting too.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #8425
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I want to see more ads of guns, well, anything really, with nice looking, bare chested men in it.

Nothing like a good looking shirtless man. I see nothing wrong with that.

You should catch up with one of the firearms brands that markets its products more to women like the rasberry pocket pistol people or something like the old Smith & Wesson "Lady Smith" line. They might have something for you.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #8426

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Not to dig up old corpses, but my exact quote is:

"What riles me the most is that some people parent the way they were parented because they "turned out fine". What if you turned out fine in spite of bad parenting?"

Just sayin'.
Jeeezz...it's obvious your main concern is to be "right".

My last post was to point out how I took particular offense to it, since I was the one who had said I turned out fine, and that I had hoped you could understand why I would do so. Obviously, you either don't or just don't care, so "whatever" man. I assure you that I'm not the only one you offended, as I have heard from other forum members on the subject. I'm sure you have heard from those in support of your point as well, and I respect them, and for that matter you...which is apparently how you and I are different.

And by the way, you can do the "what if" with your scenario as well, or for that matter ANY scenario. Here's one for you..."WHAT IF my aunt had balls...in that case she'd be my uncle."

I'M just sayin'

Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #8427

Liked 1323 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 659

Sooooooooo . Just had a serious situation arise this week , not quite sure how to handle it. Its a bit on the private family type deal but its the internet and i will never see any of you in person so why not . To make a long story short I let my mother and brother inlaw put a unowide on my land due to a nasty ongoing divorce . Brother inlaw is 27 , has a learning disabilty , lazy ass momas boys with no job . Mom inlaw is self centered beyond all means and is also lazy as hell .
Both are very nice and I get along ok with them . The problem lies with the bro-inlaw
My aunt comes over mon-wed to watch my 21 month old twins boy/girl , she older , not the least attractive ect ect , also in a divorce . Now my B.I.L comes over for about 30 min during lunch everyday so aunt can run home and let the dogs out then she comes back . Well the other day when he came up he acted..... inappropriate to her , nothing extream , no advances just some strange hugging and back rubbing . BUT he has done this before in the past but no one believed he did it due to the sources being un-trustworthy so we all played it off but now ... we believe them . My aunt no longer wants to come over . As soon as i learned of this I banned him from ever being alone with the kids again , ever . The wife and the motherinlaw wants me to talk to him , in which I replied that thats not going to go good and there will be more asswhippin than talking , and i dont think its my place YET to do the talking.
I dont think he has ever messed with the kids and dont thiink he would but we also were wrong about him on this .
Should I just whip his ass ?
Talk to him ?
Let the wife and mom do it ?
Obviously talks have not worked for him on this topic before but God help him or anyone who ever messes with my youngins as they will simply just ... die .
I have made it clear that his tv , xbox , phone ect ect be taken away and if not then i will put a hammer through all of it , Basically Im going to let them dish out the punishment and do what they deem best , But if I dont think its enough or right kind then Im going to lay the hammer down '' literally ''. I have a tendacy to deal with problems quickly and harsh , I dont have time for them nor the will power to drag it out , the sooner its settled the better. His dad is not in good mind set , he is under the spell of a skank he is living with if you get my drift .
Just can not catch a break around here , just when everything seems to be back on track and going good stupid $hit like this goes down . Keep in mind that he is mentally handicapped '' mind of young teenager ''.

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #8428

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think the action you've already taken may be sufficient. My BIL is handicapped in the same way, but has the mind of a child approximately 8-11ish, he's been gainfully employed since he was 16, he's now 30-32. People like that can be handled, they just have to be handled based on their abilities.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #8429
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
And by the way, you can do the "what if" with your scenario as well, or for that matter ANY scenario. Here's one for you..."WHAT IF my aunt had balls...in that case she'd be my uncle."

I'M just sayin'
or she could be a golfer.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #8430

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
or she could be a golfer.
Hadn't thought of that...