Random Thoughts Thread - Page 823
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #8221
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Default Airsoft question

Wife and I were discussing less lethal means of dealing with dogs coming onto our property and (in one case) attacking our chickens. So would an airsoft gun have enough punch to sting the crap out of a mutt, and if so, what kind of effective range do they have?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #8222

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

No. A good pellet rifle shot to the hip.

If they've killed chickens, I'd use a shotgun or a .22, and kill the dog. I'd put it on the grill. Fair is fair.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #8223
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 715 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Well, a 30-06 does a bang-up good job too, found that out yesterday, but I just really dislike killing dogs.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #8224

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't like it either, but I hate a nuisance that damages what I've worked for.

I assume you have a bit of time money and labor invested in those chickens. If they're for eating or eggs, the dogs have cost you your money, time, labor, and food. Maybe not enough that you mind too much, but it would bother me and I'd kill it, and then ask the owner to pay for the damages.

Dogs are like anything else, if you own one, you have to exercise proper responsibility. This goes to kids, dogs, cars, guns or anything else for that matter that can cause damage to someone's home, property, or livelihood.

It also applies to your chickens. If one gets out and craps all over your neighbor's porch, the right thing to do is clean it up yourself, and maybe offer up the offending bird as a dinner table sacrifice.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #8225

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Wife and I were discussing less lethal means of dealing with dogs coming onto our property and (in one case) attacking our chickens. So would an airsoft gun have enough punch to sting the crap out of a mutt, and if so, what kind of effective range do they have?
Buy some Colibris.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #8226
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2861 Times on 1654 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I know it sounds crazy, but take a look at the "leash laws" and if you can have your area designated.

Most laws allow the animal to roam freely on the owner's land (that is, no leash required for the chickens), but require a restraint if the boundaries are crossed. Post "No trespassing" signs. Then any outsider animal can be legally fair game should they come on your property.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #8227

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Depending on the type of airsoft gun, yes, they could "repel" less determined dogs.
The catch, however, is like humans, you won't know how the dog will react, it could get pi$$ed and attack. You could also be looking at animal cruelty charges.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #8228
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7087 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

I would talk to the owners of the dog(s) and let them know the dogs are a nuisance to you. Than I would shoot them with a paint ball gun whenever I saw the dogs on my property so when the dog goes home, the owners know he's been "visiting" you. If that doesn't encourage the owners to keep tabs on their dog(s), then I would contact police to enforce leash laws. It's not the dogs fault the owners aren't responsible owners.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #8229
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8252 Times on 4766 Posts
Likes Given: 10662

I wouldn't call the authorities myself. If I caught the dog killing chickens I would kill it. Don't shoot it with a pellet gun, airsoft gun, paintball gun, kill it. If my dog is killing your chickens I would expect you to kill her (I have two dogs, the female would kill chickens, the male would not). Settle this between yourselves.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #8230
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7087 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I wouldn't call the authorities myself. If I caught the dog killing chickens I would kill it. Don't shoot it with a pellet gun, airsoft gun, paintball gun, kill it. If my dog is killing your chickens I would expect you to kill her (I have two dogs, the female would kill chickens, the male would not). Settle this between yourselves.
Personally, I would never kill someone's dog without warning them I might do it first.