Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3611
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 AM   #36101
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8500 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

I can see really digging an antique bike and even restoring such a thing. Lots of love goes into those things. But it seems to me that Harley has made very, very few advances over the years and those have mostly been rehashing the old stuff again and again. Then there is the "customizing" that you all talk about. Looking down the road 100 years will anybody be able to see a truly bone stock Harley? I doubt it. They get "customized" right on the showroom floors these days. To me that does not speak well for the product as a new bike. I would prefer to be able to roll my bike off the showroom floor and ride all the way across the country with it with no trouble or discomfort. You can't do that on a Harley (unless you can make the whole trip in 4th gear apparently! )

Has a Harley ever competed in the Dakar Rally?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Cinderocka1989 Likes This 
Old 07-20-2014, 03:32 AM   #36102
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3379 Times on 1884 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I can see really digging an antique bike and even restoring such a thing. Lots of love goes into those things. But it seems to me that Harley has made very, very few advances over the years and those have mostly been rehashing the old stuff again and again. Then there is the "customizing" that you all talk about. Looking down the road 100 years will anybody be able to see a truly bone stock Harley? I doubt it. They get "customized" right on the showroom floors these days. To me that does not speak well for the product as a new bike. I would prefer to be able to roll my bike off the showroom floor and ride all the way across the country with it with no trouble or discomfort. You can't do that on a Harley (unless you can make the whole trip in 4th gear apparently! )

Has a Harley ever competed in the Dakar Rally?
That's kind of how I see it. I like my old cars but I also put a lot of work into them and I know they're over 40 years old and might break down, if I go buy something brand new I expect to get over 100k out of it before I have any major problems, especially for the amount a new Harley costs.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

bigdaddy60 Likes This 
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 AM   #36103
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Only in reference to skiing, something else I don't do, but like to watch.
Well at least I'm not the only one who uses it, I said it at work today and got a lot of blank stares.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #36104
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1011 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[quote=Cinderocka1989;1606465]ooo ooo pick me! I know how to fix it! Buy a Honda.

EEEEHHHH, not so much, my Honda CB750F engine is on the workbench as we speak with a blown head gasket. On the other hand my 87 250X four wheeler will start on the 3rd kick if the gas is reasonably fresh, needs new rear axle bearings though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I've done some damage, some days I feel like I'm 80. My knee has been hurting all week from an old injury from flipping my 220# bike on top of myself. Didn't stop me from riding, I just bought I lighter bike. I did finally sell my bike, it would be nice if I could ride one without getting hurt but my IQ drops at least 50 points whenever I get on a bike and lets be honest it wasn't that high to begin with.
I still walk funny first thing on a cold morning from a 4 wheeler wreck in 1988. I landed on my hip at about 40 mph, head didn't hit the ground, but the E.R. insisted on head X-rays and ignored my hip. Since then my IQ might just go up a point or two when I ride, or maybe natural cowardice kicks in!

Quote:
That's kind of how I see it. I like my old cars but I also put a lot of work into them and I know they're over 40 years old and might break down, if I go buy something brand new I expect to get over 100k out of it before I have any major problems, especially for the amount a new Harley costs.
My old Honda CB750F is 36 years old, my pickup is 45 years old. If it weren't for a 40 mile round trip commute and $3.50-$ 4.00 a gallon gas my '03 buick wouldn't get 1000 miles put on it a year.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #36105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[quote=F4U;1606913]

Quote:
ooo ooo pick me! I know how to fix it! Buy a Honda.

EEEEHHHH, not so much, my Honda CB750F engine is on the workbench as we speak with a blown head gasket. On the other hand my 87 250X four wheeler will start on the 3rd kick if the gas is reasonably fresh, needs new rear axle bearings though.

I still walk funny first thing on a cold morning from a 4 wheeler wreck in 1988. I landed on my hip at about 40 mph, head didn't hit the ground, but the E.R. insisted on head X-rays and ignored my hip. Since then my IQ might just go up a point or two when I ride, or maybe natural cowardice kicks in!

My old Honda CB750F is 36 years old, my pickup is 45 years old. If it weren't for a 40 mile round trip commute and $3.50-$ 4.00 a gallon gas my '03 buick wouldn't get 1000 miles put on it a year.
Right, but how many miles are on that head gasket?

I never got smart, didn't matter how many injuries, how many hospital visits... I've broken both arms, the left one twice, the right and the left at the same time once, dislocated both shoulders, broken ribs, collar bones, dislocated a knee, gotten some gnarly road rash, a compound fracture on my right leg and every damn time I get on a bike, I find that power band and go WFO. Yeah, I have a problem. And it must be genetic, my little brother got in an accident a few years ago, broke both arms dislocated both wrists, broke his femur and took a good size chip out of his knee cap. A year later he was back on that 250 racing me across the dunes.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #36106
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

[quote=Cinderocka1989;1606921]

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post

Right, but how many miles are on that head gasket?

I never got smart, didn't matter how many injuries, how many hospital visits... I've broken both arms, the left one twice, the right and the left at the same time once, dislocated both shoulders, broken ribs, collar bones, dislocated a knee, gotten some gnarly road rash, a compound fracture on my right leg and every damn time I get on a bike, I find that power band and go WFO. Yeah, I have a problem. And it must be genetic, my little brother got in an accident a few years ago, broke both arms dislocated both wrists, broke his femur and took a good size chip out of his knee cap. A year later he was back on that 250 racing me across the dunes.
Cinder, it almost sounds like you and i could be related!

just as soon as i got on a dirt bike and engaged the throttle, it's as if i disengaged the common sense portion of my brain! yep, the common sense portion of my brain that would generally overrule the fear portion of my brain, that would tell me to rethink doing certain things.

my other problem whn i got on a dirt bike was that i loved the adrenaline rush of jumping, and i got addicted to the adrenaline rush, that i had to higher, farther and faster. i loved that rush i got every time.

it has left me numerous broken bones, (too many to list!) and lots of scar tissue, but each one is a memory of good times spent riding or racing with my friends. we're all old and gray now, and sometimes we rehash the times we spent racing, and even though i know i can't ride like that anymore, i still miss those crazy times riding.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:03 AM   #36107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 157 Posts

I got smart 40-years ago about street bikes. Had to lay the "Snortin Norton" down at 55 and slide under HiBoy Ford 4x4. I had full leathers on and came away with a few bruises. But that was the end of bikes on the street.

Dirt bikes were 38-years ago. Was riding on a motocross track with about ten other guys. Went down and tumbled. The tip of the fingers on my glove got caught between the chain and sprocket, and got launched about a million feet in the air. Ok, it was probably closer to fifty feet than a million, but it seemed like a million. I remember laying there watching it, tumbling through the air, and wondering whether my hand was still in it. That was it for dirt bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #36108
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
I got smart 40-years ago about street bikes. Had to lay the "Snortin Norton" down at 55 and slide under HiBoy Ford 4x4. I had full leathers on and came away with a few bruises. But that was the end of bikes on the street.

Dirt bikes were 38-years ago. Was riding on a motocross track with about ten other guys. Went down and tumbled. The tip of the fingers on my glove got caught between the chain and sprocket, and got launched about a million feet in the air. Ok, it was probably closer to fifty feet than a million, but it seemed like a million. I remember laying there watching it, tumbling through the air, and wondering whether my hand was still in it. That was it for dirt bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
I don't really remember my last bad wreck. I remember the guy that stopped to help me. He said I bounced across the ground about three times, the bike flipped and landed on top of me, I actually managed to get up, stand the bike up, walk over to look at the ledge in the sand that flipped my bike, before I realized my knee hurt and collapsed. I also remember that it was like 90 degrees out and I was freezing. I spent a month on crutches, had xrays and MRIs and no one could tell me what was wrong until I went to a chiropractor who told me I'd shifted the bone on the outside of my knee over, he used something kind of like an air hammer to put it back and I walked out of his office with no crutches, 2 weeks later I was back out on the dirt. Like I said, I have a problem.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #36109
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3288 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Random Thoughts Thread

I feel bad for folks that call Motorcycle Accidents "Bad"......the only one I ever had was hitting a hole in the road surface on the Taconic St. parkway in upstate NY,..I remember my PLF from BAS,...( Parachute Landing Fall from Basic Airborne School for the unknowing,...) I remember sliding about 10 Ft. On the grass at the side of the road,...I remember sliding to a stop face up...that's when I already had decided that life was already enough of a dangerous thing as it is,..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #36110

Liked 751 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 832

I want one of these... A Harley XA. Its a Harley built with BMW tech. but apparently they only made 1,000 of them. (Why cant I like anything normal???!! )