Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3577
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #35761
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3586 Times on 1991 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
The closest I have come is several cruises, and they isolate you very well from the working of the ship. I felt the vibrations you mentioned and spent some time thinking about their cause,(engines? prop? that really fat lady from the buffet last night?) simply because I am always curious how things work. I never equated it as a living thing the way you did so well, but I think I will have a new perspective if I go on another one.
Some big old diesel engines would be my guess

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #35762
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8676 Times on 5017 Posts
Likes Given: 11283

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
The closest I have come is several cruises, and they isolate you very well from the working of the ship. I felt the vibrations you mentioned and spent some time thinking about their cause,(engines? prop? that really fat lady from the buffet last night?) simply because I am always curious how things work. I never equated it as a living thing the way you did so well, but I think I will have a new perspective if I go on another one.
I've never had a hankering to go on a cruise but my soon-to-be-ex-wife was saying she wanted to do that. I told her as long as I could visit the engine room whenever I wanted and if the boat had a skeet/trap range I would do it.

Never did.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #35763
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 741 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Some big old diesel engines would be my guess
There is that, too! Especially when there are four on-line. Diesel-electric is the drive system. Beaucoup torque!

The smell of diesel exhaust over salt water will always bring back a flood of memories.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #35764
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

is there a troll convention going on?

the trolls are running crazy today!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #35765
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I've never had a hankering to go on a cruise but my soon-to-be-ex-wife was saying she wanted to do that. I told her as long as I could visit the engine room whenever I wanted and if the boat had a skeet/trap range I would do it.

Never did.
My little sister wanted me to go on a cruise with her awhile ago, I don't have money for that kind of nonsense, however if they let me hang out in the engine room I might seriously reconsider. I thought about applying for a job with Princess Cruises in Alaska but I have a tiny obsession with trucks.

bigdaddy60 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #35766
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8676 Times on 5017 Posts
Likes Given: 11283

Quote:
My little sister wanted me to go on a cruise with her awhile ago, I don't have money for that kind of nonsense, however if they let me hang out in the engine room I might seriously reconsider. I thought about applying for a job with Princess Cruises in Alaska but I have a tiny obsession with trucks.
Life as s cruise ship hand is not at all glamorous as I understand it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #35767
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Quote:
I think you'd really obsess with a Chief Engineer's triple digit annual income. I bet you'd make a good one too with your background Cinder You'd have to start as an oiler, then accumulate some sea time, take a few courses, take some coast guard tests and before you know it, you'd be rollin' in it. The big downside is the time spent away from home Another option could be a marine diesel mechanic. They have a hard go of it though from what I've seen.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #35768
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

cruise ships? you're floating around in a big fancy floating bathtub!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #35769
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
I think you'd really obsess with a Chief Engineer's triple digit annual income. I bet you'd make a good one too with your background Cinder You'd have to start as an oiler, then accumulate some sea time, take a few courses, take some coast guard tests and before you know it, you'd be rollin' in it. The big downside is the time spent away from home Another option could be a marine diesel mechanic. They have a hard go of it though from what I've seen.
That's another thing. I already started from the bottom, I detailed trucks, then I was changing batteries, then oil and now I'm doing real work and troubleshooting and actually doing things that require thinking, but I'm always up for new adventures and I'm kind of a drifter these days, I don't really have a home.

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #35770
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default Random Thoughts Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Boat ramps are great places to watch drunks fall at , when I get older and retire I plan to grab my sittin chair and be at the ramp everyday and entertain myself watching the drunks , girls and idiots.

My friend ran me up to shore one time so I could jump out, grab the truck and back it down the boat ramp to pull him out of the water. Well where he dumped me the rocks along the shore were totally covered in algae. Oh and did I mention I was wearing flip flops? I'll let you use your imagination on how that went. LOL

Was alcohol involved? Maybe but I don't think it affected the final outcome! Ha Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk