Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3573
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #35721
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 397 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30USMC View Post
I don't believe it ..... !
When they find out you're cheating on them, I would rather see the tears than bloodshed. Just saying...

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.
MobileMarine Likes This 
Old 06-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #35722
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9034 Times on 5249 Posts
Likes Given: 11937

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
I doubt you will be able to have that selection of trees. Apples and pears generally thrive in colder climates, than figs, oranges, avocados, pomegranates. There may be new hybrids that would grow in warmer climates but I'd be surprised if there were.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Here in CA we can have all of these if you know what varieties to look for. Any apple or pear do extremely well (this used to be the biggest pear/apple producing region in the country). Pomegranites do well too as we get mild winters and hot dry summers. Avocados too with the Bacon and Mexicola varieties probably the better choice but Hass will do well too. I already grow chestnuts here. Figs are like weed trees- the Missionaries planted them everywhere. Oranges can be a bit tricky at the elevation I am dealing with. They don't like freezing winters. But there are a couple of tolerant varieties.

This area of California, before it was known for computers and electronics, was known for being the largest fruit growing and packing region in the world. That was until the 1960's when it turned for the Valley of Heart's Delight onto Silicon Valley. The mountains where I live surrounding the valley still have many, many orchards that are still producing. I have a chestnut orchard that I operate which was planted in the 1850's and is still going strong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Clara_Valley

Seriously, when they tear up a parking lot around here and start digging for underground parking lots I will try and get as much of the topsoil as I can haul. Its that fertile- even after being sealed under pavement for decades.

I think I'll be OK when it comes to variety.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
boatme98 Likes This 
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #35723

Liked 1259 Times on 903 Posts
Likes Given: 627

I let lil man take his first animal the other night . Had a big group of rabbits in the clover out back so I loaded a 12ga mini round and let him take one ; I helped of course . Saved it for my aunt who will skin them and make things out of their fur . Went alot better than I expected , figured they would be sad and crying over a cute bunny but it was a good lesson for them . May have done the lil thing a favor , sucker was covered in ticks , they are right bad this year for some reason .

Tried to do a good deed on friday , had a disabled vet call me from the lake to come fix his boat , so I go out and hook him up free of charge . Sat something else goes wrong with the boat and they basically bug me the entire weekend to come out .
I love doing things like that for vets '' UN-SOLICITED " but I do not like to be taken advantage of . This was one of my first FREE fathers day I have had in a while and did not care about any boats

Here is the vehicle count for the weekend .
Harley : Lifted the front rocker box off the head
Tahoe : Fuel pump
Van : dropped the water pump sat night but it came all apart pulling into the shop this morning .
Boat : lost the trim motor
only thing left going is the F350 and 2 four wheelers and the 350 stops about as good as a loaded container ship running 25 knots with a 50 kt tail wind , almost ran a light and then almost rear ended someone with it the other day , got good pads and shoes , just wont stop , like some oiled them

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Last edited by MobileMarine; 06-16-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #35724

Liked 397 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Check your front caliper hoses. Ford's are known for those rusting through.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #35725

Not the hose and its a rust free truck . it MAY be the master or booster . Hold the brakes and it slowly goes down . With it being a diesel you only have 1 MAYBE 2 good shots to the pedal before you loose vacuum . Looked under it while ago and one of the axle seals is leaking but although its not helping its not the main culprit .
Need to get it up and wheels off , the LF is the only one that will lock up so it left about 100ft skid mark when I was pulling a big boat the other day and a some DA decided he wanted to turn left into a bar at the last minute . I hate that metallic taste you get in your mouth when you have close calls like that . 1/4 mile behind him and still all I could do to stop

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #35726
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Tried to do a good deed on friday , had a disabled vet call me from the lake to come fix his boat , so I go out and hook him up free of charge . Sat something else goes wrong with the boat and they basically bug me the entire weekend to come out .
I love doing things like that for vets '' UN-SOLICITED " but I do not like to be taken advantage of . This was one of my first FREE fathers day I have had in a while and did not care about any boats
My business, back in the day, was repairing VCR’s, video cameras and such. Every time I gave some time away it would come back to bite me. One case I remember was a little handicapped nun who had a ¾ inch Sony VCR. She used it to record programs for the Mission. I repaired it free once.

After that, when it needed service she would bring it to the shop at one minute to 12:00 noon…saying
"I know you get off for lunch at twelve, so I thought maybe you could look at my VCR on your lunch hour…that way you won’t have to charge me any shop time.”

I would grit my teeth, do it…and swear never to do a favor for anyone again.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #35727

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Not the hose and its a rust free truck . it MAY be the master or booster . Hold the brakes and it slowly goes down . With it being a diesel you only have 1 MAYBE 2 good shots to the pedal before you loose vacuum . Looked under it while ago and one of the axle seals is leaking but although its not helping its not the main culprit .
Need to get it up and wheels off , the LF is the only one that will lock up so it left about 100ft skid mark when I was pulling a big boat the other day and a some DA decided he wanted to turn left into a bar at the last minute . I hate that metallic taste you get in your mouth when you have close calls like that . 1/4 mile behind him and still all I could do to stop
The Super Duty has a hydraulic assist brake system that runs off the power steering pump. No vacuum assist.

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #35728

Quote:
The Super Duty has a hydraulic assist brake system that runs off the power steering pump. No vacuum assist.
Cant recall how to tell if the booster is bad , I hear a big whoosh when you push the brakes . If it is , capital F replacing that thing , putting a column in it was bad enough , actually not even a full column just the shift part . Could be the check valve going bad , just need to get in there and check it all

Old 06-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #35729

Hmm. My 2001 SD is hydraulic assist. Never seen one with a vacuum booster. If it is vac boost though there has to be a vacuum pump to operate it as diesels have virtually zero vacuum and even have positive intake pressure when turbocharged. Check your vacuum source. On older Ford diesels it was belt driven on the front of the engine, that seems the most logical way to do it (well, it is more logical to make it hydraulic to begin with, but that isn't an option.)

Quote:

Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #35730

I think the frictional forces got into a argument with the rotational forces and caused a thermal molecular break down decided my E=mc2 with a ratio of peach PI therefor when the air fuel mixture entered the combustion chamber there was insufficient compression and lack of lubrication for continued proper operation .

It blew up and the idiot kept running it LMAO

Quote:
Hmm. My 2001 SD is hydraulic assist. Never seen one with a vacuum booster. If it is vac boost though there has to be a vacuum pump to operate it as diesels have virtually zero vacuum and even have positive intake pressure when turbocharged. Check your vacuum source. On older Ford diesels it was belt driven on the front of the engine, that seems the most logical way to do it (well, it is more logical to make it hydraulic to begin with, but that isn't an option.)
You know , thinking about it , I do think it does have a vac pump , hope it has not gone bad , dont think they are cheap . I know all of our wreckers have electric assist , well the non air brake ones do . My 350 is a 91 7.3 IDI non turbo slug , another odd thing about mine is , it has a single chamber master on it , believe they call them suicide masters , when they run out of fluid its game over , no front or rear chambers

Last edited by MobileMarine; 06-16-2014 at 10:21 PM.