Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3527
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #35261
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1009 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I have this problem too, when I worked at auto zone they always tried to get us to up sell everything, you know those little packets of antiseize and di-electric grease and whatever else they try to sell you? That's how Auto Zone gauges how good of an employee you are, doesn't matter if you don't ever call in sick, you show up for your shift 15 minutes early and you're never late and you almost always cover other people's shifts and you know what you're freaking talking about if you can't up sell stuff. I hated doing it, because I know when I go to the parts store, I'll get what I need and then I want to pay and leave, the end, I don't need you to rattle off a list of extra things that I should buy. There were things that I would suggest, if you buy a set of spark plugs buy some freaking anti seize if you tell me you don't need it then that's the end of the discussion. I really didn't like working for Auto zone by the way.... Sorry about the rant.

Had this problem at sears about a 100 years ago (ok maybe only 35 years ago). They judged performance on how many "maintenance agreements" you sold on the mowers and other power equipment. I thought they were a ripoff and this probably came through in my sales pitch.

I am not a great salesman, I have no line of bullcrap. You say I have an acre to mow, I say this mower will work best for you because...... this mower is less expensive and will not be as good for you because...... then I let them decide.

I very consistently had the highest dollar per hour worked sales in the dept, and the lowest maintenance agreement sales per hour worked in the dept. I was taken off the schedule for 2 weeks to " think about my maintenance agreement sales". I thought about it for about three and a half seconds and said call that my 2 week notice and I walked out the door.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 05-17-2014 at 08:13 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #35262
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6334 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 6828

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Had this problem at sears about a 100 years ago (ok maybe only 35 years ago). They judged performance on how many "maintenance agreements" you sold on the mowers and other power equipment. I thought they were a ripoff and this probably came through in my sales pitch.

I am not a great salesman, I have no line of bullcrap. You say I have an acre to mow, I say this mower will work best for you because...... this mower is less expensive and will not be as good for you because...... then I let them decide.

I very consistently had the highest dollar per hour worked sales in the dept, and the lowest maintenance agreement sales per hour worked in the dept. I was taken off the schedule for 2 weeks to " think about my maintenance agreement sales". I thought about it for about three and a half seconds and said call that my 2 week notice and I walked out the door.
So true, those plans are a complete ripoff. Some people will buy them on everything they own and are clueless that they are generally completely a waste of money. If your that worried, put the money in an account and let it accrue interest until the product reaches end of life then use that as a down payment on a new one.

Manufacturers know how long their stuff should last without issues and they often carry the warranty to that end. We may feel the product should last longer than that but mostly were wrong. "My last tv lasted 14 years", your next one is good for about 4 or 5! New may mean nicer looking but it doesnt mean durable or long lasting!

There is only one device in the house that you might think about extending the warranty, thats a Computer especially if your a solid novice at working with one! You will be lucky to get a year on the parts and 90 days on labor for most of them and computers are way too user problematic for most users to keep them running without assistance. Macs are the computer for folks that have issues with computing, they dont allow too much in the way of user modifications hardware or software wise and their support network is pretty awesome. That said, I dont like macs cause they dont do lots of things that I need to do as a Technician.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #35263

Liked 1135 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Love it when Harbor freight tries to sell me a warranty on their crap , hell it will break before the return period is up , it wont last long enough to get to the warranty period . Or its cheap enough to just throw it away .
Bought some decent stuff there , Powder coating system , belt sander and a few tools , the air tools suck as does the cordless tools and their saw blades are worthless , hammers are nice but how to you eff up a hammer ?
Love the predator engines , they maybe cheap china made clones but out of over a dozen bought I have ZERO issues . Have not tried any of their metal working stuff but I want a brake , lathe and a wheel something bad .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #35264
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
So true, those plans are a complete ripoff. Some people will buy them on everything they own and are clueless that they are generally completely a waste of money. If your that worried, put the money in an account and let it accrue interest until the product reaches end of life then use that as a down payment on a new one.

Manufacturers know how long their stuff should last without issues and they often carry the warranty to that end. We may feel the product should last longer than that but mostly were wrong. "My last tv lasted 14 years", your next one is good for about 4 or 5! New may mean nicer looking but it doesnt mean durable or long lasting!

There is only one device in the house that you might think about extending the warranty, thats a Computer especially if your a solid novice at working with one! You will be lucky to get a year on the parts and 90 days on labor for most of them and computers are way too user problematic for most users to keep them running without assistance. Macs are the computer for folks that have issues with computing, they dont allow too much in the way of user modifications hardware or software wise and their support network is pretty awesome. That said, I dont like macs cause they dont do lots of things that I need to do as a Technician.
i have to agree on most things, an extended warranty is just about worthless and a waste of money. about the only thing i see worth having an extended warranty on is a vehicle, simple because of the cost of repairs and they can even be put on used vehicles that are just out of their factory warranty period.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #35265
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3288 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Temple this morning, then teach our last Photography Class of the Term, then I need an Air Filter for the Truck. Can you Say BUSY Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Old 05-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #35266

If the ex warranty is through the actual mfg then its worth it . I know Suzuki had a 6+6 warranty on their outboards , BUT Suzuki only covered it for the 1st 6 then a aftermarket company kicked in and it was pretty much worthless , so unless it comes from the maker or the dealer then no thanks . Most times it wont cover issues related to fuel in which most cases of repair on outboards or in the marine field ....... is from fuel or can be carefully crafted to be CAUSED by a fuel problem . Same kinda goes for insurance , if a regulator burns out and burns the boat down , they wont cover the initial cause ro failure but will cover the resulting damage , gotta know how these people work and how to manipulate the wording on reports

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Last edited by MobileMarine; 05-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #35267

ROLMFA , best and most honest commercial EVER

Old 05-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #35268
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7338 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 9052

I don't get any chores done in the house because I'm too busy playing outside in the yard.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #35269
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 733 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I don't get any chores done in the house because I'm too busy playing outside in the yard.
I know what ya mean...

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #35270

Day of rest ? HA , crankin wrenches on Sunday with the new Godzilla playing in the background