Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3473
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #34721
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
Anyone on here ever get hired through usajobs.gov ? Holy Waiting Game Batman!

The wait depends on the agency doing the hiring and how weird the upper levels are being. If they decide that all new hires need to be approved at DC it can add months.

I hired on just before Obama's first inauguration. They did a hiring freeze in December that lasted until March. I could see that for the GS14 and above that require Assistant Secretarial approval, but I'm a lowly GS11 who just follows policy, and doesn't make it.

The goal is thirty days from closing the position to making an offer. We generally don't make it.

Lots of rules, and all the applicants have to be prescreened by personell before being passed on to the line level hiring authority for selection, which is where the actual contact to verify they are interested, review of qualifications, contacting references and former employers and, doing the interviews occurs.

Then it has to be vetted by the GS14 or above, before the selection goes to personnel for the final blessing and an offer is made.

At that point it takes a minimum of two weeks to get a body on board. Because they haven't even done a bit of a background check yet.

In my agency the personnel staff is a fourth of what it used to be. Things take time.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #34722

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

^^^ son of a me!

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #34723

Liked 1060 Times on 765 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
Anyone on here ever get hired through usajobs.gov ? Holy Waiting Game Batman!

The wait depends on the agency doing the hiring and how weird the upper levels are being. If they decide that all new hires need to be approved at DC it can add months.

I hired on just before Obama's first inauguration. They did a hiring freeze in December that lasted until March. I could see that for the GS14 and above that require Assistant Secretarial approval, but I'm a lowly GS11 who just follows policy, and doesn't make it.

The goal is thirty days from closing the position to making an offer. We generally don't make it.

Lots of rules, and all the applicants have to be prescreened by personell before being passed on to the line level hiring authority for selection, which is where the actual contact to verify they are interested, review of qualifications, contacting references and former employers and, doing the interviews occurs.

Then it has to be vetted by the GS14 or above, before the selection goes to personnel for the final blessing and an offer is made.

At that point it takes a minimum of two weeks to get a body on board. Because they haven't even done a bit of a background check yet.

In my agency the personnel staff is a fourth of what it used to be. Things take time.
So what he is saying , its who you know .

About the rescue bills , I may be wrong but I think the coasties will send you a nice bill for a mechanical or idiot rescue IE a tow or something not life threatening . If they send a P3 out to drop you fuel 120 miles off shore b/c you ran out then yea , oh yea , you need to be ripped one .
It should be a case by case , if I take my 19ft out in a hurricane I deserve to die or go bankrupt .
If I am out and a bolt of lightning hits me with blue skies or a whale capsizes me then no , no charge , its good real life training .
If these guys doing the rescue did not love what they are doing and the great reward of saving a life they would not be doing it .
I have lost 3 former co-workers at the beach from drowning , same guy was rescued 2 times , first was a mechanical break down and capsize , second time he faced charges b/c his pass was drunk when he went over and was never found '' very fishy story '' his 3rd strike ended up killing him . He was drunk all 3 times , in fact all 3 that died were drunk or high .
Bottom line , if your are following the alerts , advisories and doing nothing careless then no charge . If your being careless , breaking the law or ignorant bad a** then you need to be burned .
New boaters for the most part have no idea how fast the conditions can change , how to read the waters and shoreline and how quick it can kill you .

I have no problem going down at sea so long as its a epic storm and my fight was a mean one , Captain goes down with the ship , thats a odd honor that most will never understand

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #34724
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8191 Times on 4730 Posts
Likes Given: 10552

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
damn near got in a fight with a stranger today. a conversation struck up about a few locals that got caught in a blizzard while snowmobiling a few weeks back & had to be rescued. his stance was they should have to pay for their rescue, my stance was & the rescue team was a taxpayer funded operation so it's already been paid for. he countered with "they were stupid enough to get caught out in the weather." well that just pissed me the f*ck off & I was about 5 seconds from knocking his ass out.

my dad drowned while sailing 14 years ago, so my brain equated to him calling my late dad stupid. which did not go over well

it was a 12 day search effort by many different agencies, both public & private including the national guard, 2 different counties search & rescue teams, a local dive shop, & every Tom Dick & Harry with a boat before he was recovered. the only agency that attempted to send a bill was one of the counties search & rescue teams. it basically came across as "sorry for your loss...by the way you owe us $1200 for gas." luckily the deputies from that county took a stand & said no effin way is that gonna happen.

Every time some hiker gets stranded on a mountain somewhere or lost in a forest I hear these moron's saying "they should have to pay for their rescue." I guarantee they'll sing a different tune when it's one of their loved ones that needs help.
Well, I figure that poor people are only poor because they are too effing stupid to be able to make a decent living. They should be made to pay for that stupidity. Maybe sell of everything they own to pay for the welfare costs? If they don't own anything then sell of their children into slavery, and then start carving out their kidneys.

Same sort of logic.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #34725
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 753 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Glad that bastard king is dead in game of thrones sick little **** pissed me off every time he appeared on screen

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #34726
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8191 Times on 4730 Posts
Likes Given: 10552

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Glad that bastard king is dead in game of thrones sick little **** pissed me off every time he appeared on screen

I have only watched an episode or two of GOT. Not too impressed by it. Been watching Homeland though- got through Season 1 and a few of S2, I am getting less and less impressed as it has progressed. Last night it was pretty implausible.

Also have watched a few episodes of Vikings. That is pretty good, though hardly what I would call historically accurate. Good entertainment though.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #34727
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 753 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I wasn't into got when it started either but as I was forced by my wife to watch it now I love it lol

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #34728

Liked 1060 Times on 765 Posts
Likes Given: 543

In my 30's and I still think Iron man and transformers are the most awesome thing ever , poot on batman , spider and superman

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Trez Likes This 
Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #34729
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
In my 30's and I still think Iron man and transformers are the most awesome thing ever , poot on batman , spider and superman
Iron Man is pretty damn hard to beat, man I'd love one of those suits!

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #34730
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Iron Man is pretty damn hard to beat, man I'd love one of those suits!
As a Southerner, I have wondered about the climate control available in that suit; IIRC many medieval knights had heat exhaustion at those tournaments.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.