Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3249
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #32481
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1172 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I had an emotionally trying morning at work today. Then to add injury to insult, I slipped and fell on an icy patch in the parking lot. My shoulder hurts now and I can't lift my arm up. My left knee is sore, too. I hate getting old.
Then don't, just keep repeating "I am 25, I am 25, I am 25."

Let me know if it works and I will try it!

More seriously if you can't lift your arm get it checked out, I found out the hard way that shoulders are not the most stable of joints.

Last edited by F4U; 12-29-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #32482
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Took the boys and the dog to the park.

Sitting with the older one while Sue and the dog run. Only here for a few minutes and the older one (I guess I'll call him john boy on here. His dad's name was John) starts laughing his ass off.

Turning my head to see what he's laughing at, my son and his dog are pissing on a tree. Right in the middle of a crowded park.

Joy.
Reminds me of my youngest brother, 20 plus years younger. We had no neighbors closer than 3/4 of a mile through the woods so peeing outside was very normal. We were at my aunts house in a fairly nice expensive subdivision for a 4th of July picnic when my aunt yells to mom she needs to go get my brother. He was maybe 4 years old at the time and was standing next to a bush in her front yard about 10 feet from the road with his pants around his ankles "watering" the bush.
Mom turned six shades of red, Dad, my other brother, and I were all but rolling on the floor laughing.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #32483

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yay for shoulder injuries!

Try this, and it's coming from a young ****er (me).

Have an injured knee that requires the use of a cane for a couple of years (I was on a cane from '07-'09). Now, try having that cane as a necessity... but the side you need to use it on has an injured shoulder.

Yippee!!! pain all around! Pain for everyone! Yay! And I was driving a stick shift.

And I consider myself lucky, because I know there's tons of people (Dr. Football and AR10 come to mind) who've had it much worse than me. There's also the buddy who lost almost ALL of his left calf.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #32484

Liked 2394 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yay for shoulder injuries!

Try this, and it's coming from a young ****er (me).

Have an injured knee that requires the use of a cane for a couple of years (I was on a cane from '07-'09). Now, try having that cane as a necessity... but the side you need to use it on has an injured shoulder.

Yippee!!! pain all around! Pain for everyone! Yay! And I was driving a stick shift.

And I consider myself lucky, because I know there's tons of people (Dr. Football and AR10 come to mind) who've had it much worse than me. There's also the buddy who lost almost ALL of his left calf.

The calf sounds bad. Guy on boat got hit by a lock line when it broke. Back of calf shot through front of his leg. Took bone and all with it. Not sure what happened to him after that.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #32485
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
The calf sounds bad. Guy on boat got hit by a lock line when it broke. Back of calf shot through front of his leg. Took bone and all with it. Not sure what happened to him after that.
And what "Kills" me is People get Disability determinations for Less then what you posted above....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #32486
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 847 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 1824

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I had an emotionally trying morning at work today. Then to add injury to insult, I slipped and fell on an icy patch in the parking lot. My shoulder hurts now and I can't lift my arm up. My left knee is sore, too. I hate getting old.
If you slipped in your work's parking lot and were injured, it should be covered under Workers Comp. Happened to me a few years back. I had been complaining to my department head for days about the ice-covered sidewalk, then I got a fractured wrist from the fall. Never had any quibble out of the company at all, I think my boss told her boss that I could sue. That failure to apply a few bucks' worth of rock salt cost them over $25k in medical bills.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #32487
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
And what "Kills" me is People get Disability determinations for Less then what you posted above....
I don't get that, my shoulder after 2 injuries was trashed, it dislocated when I was sitting sideways on a chair with my arm hanging over the chair back sitting still. It fell out of the socket while I was sitting still not moving it at all!! That is how torn up it was.

I found a good surgeon who used a lot of duct tape, gorilla glue, and office staples (just kidding) and he put it back together. Then I did the work rehabbing it, I'm still working at this. I probably went back to work about 2 weeks before I should have, but I muddled though babying it as best I could.

The company I work for provides a short term disability insurance that pays 2/3 of 40 hours while you are off work hurt. This is a huge cut from 100% of 55 hours. Getting back to that 55 hours was my main focus. Living on disability when I could get myself back to work was an unthinkable limit on my income.

That said people who get on fulltime disability with injuries that can be healed/fixed so that they can go back to work are little better than thieves in my opinion. These people are sucking resources from people who are truly disabled especially our disabled vets, and those people are truly unable to be gainfully employed. I have no real $ figures but it seems to me that if the fakers were out of the picture there would be enough resources for the truly disabled to have a decent living.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #32488

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U
I don't get that, my shoulder after 2 injuries was trashed, it dislocated when I was sitting sideways on a chair with my arm hanging over the chair back sitting still. It fell out of the socket while I was sitting still not moving it at all!! That is how torn up it was. I found a good surgeon who used a lot of duct tape, gorilla glue, and office staples (just kidding) and he put it back together. Then I did the work rehabbing it, I'm still working at this. I probably went back to work about 2 weeks before I should have, but I muddled though babying it as best I could. The company I work for provides a short term disability insurance that pays 2/3 of 40 hours while you are off work hurt. This is a huge cut from 100% of 55 hours. Getting back to that 55 hours was my main focus. Living on disability when I could get myself back to work was an unthinkable limit on my income. That said people who get on fulltime disability with injuries that can be healed/fixed so that they can go back to work are little better than thieves in my opinion. These people are sucking resources from people who are truly disabled especially our disabled vets, and those people are truly unable to be gainfully employed. I have no real $ figures but it seems to me that if the fakers were out of the picture there would be enough resources for the truly disabled to have a decent living.

And some of us WISH they didn't have to retire with "degenerative" perm. Injuries.....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #32489

Gee, its a good thing I have Multiple Back ups for all my Computer Hard Drives. Laptop Back up drive filled itself in just 15 months since having the original Internal Hard Disk replaced(for free by AppleCare) and Buying a New External for the Laptop(1 TB) while Backing up Via WiFi to the 12 TB Raid,..too bad it's gonna take 18-24 Hrs. to restore Laptop Back up from Raid,...well,.slow is better then not at ALL.....
AND, I have discovered that Gator is Multi-Lingual! Not only does he understand human English, he understands German, Spanish, English Bulldog, French Bulldog, Victorian Bulldog, Boston Terrier, and some Pug....I tell you the Dog is a Genius. When I hold up a Pic of a 1911 he Pouts, when it's a Ruger he smiles, but show him a Glock picture and he growls!!!

Last edited by DrFootball; 12-30-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #32490

Liked 400 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 6

it's bizarre how some people can almost magically heal from terrible things but a guy sliding into second in softball tears his ACL & is never the same.

5 or 6 years ago, a contractor we work with a lot was in a nasty 4 wheeler accident that Easter weekend. He was in his late 50's at the time, broke his collarbone, shattered his pelvis, & broke 16 (16!!) of his ribs, some of them twice. I saw the x-rays & they were enough to make a guy cringe. they screwed & rodded his pelvis back together and of course did nothing for the ribs because what can you do really. by Christmas that same year he was 100% again. Hell he's still out there every day banging away with the framing hammer & setting walls.

I'm not so sure I could bounce back like he did, even with me being half his age

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch