Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3227
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #32261
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Tripp, good luck with the young man.
You'll be walking a fine line here. Maybe set a couple of rules from the start without being overbearing. Remember, he wasn't in the military.
If alcohol is a problem, you may have to make that rule #1. "Youre going to be sober for a few days", which means you should do without while he's with you.
I guess you're going to have to be both his friend and role model for a while, even after he leaves, if your both lucky.
Good luck, hang in there, and keep us posted.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

People Like This 
Old 12-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #32262
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3170 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Gonna have a visitor for a bit, and I'd like to ask y'all to wish me luck. When I were just a wee young devil pup, I had to train a few other good men. One of them died recently. His 16 or 17 year old oldest son is taking it hard. He's gone into drinking and fighting, and has just really made a nuisance of himself. His mom, my friend's widow, contacted me today after hunting me down through some mutual friends. Told me that the boy still talks about hanging out with his dad and "Uncle Trip". Told me what was going on, and asked if I had any advice. In the end, I offered to take the boy in until he goes back to school after Christmas. I don't have a damn clue what I'm getting myself into I'm sure. My starting goals are just to get him sober and thinking straight again. Then we'll go from there. His mom will contact me in the morning with the flight info, if she doesn't tonight.
Good luck man.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #32263

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't drink much if at all. I have a bottle of vodka in the freezer with maybe one shot left. It's been there since September. I'll go ahead and dump it down the drain. (that's how little I drink, I'd rather pour it down the drain than drink it when I'm not really in the mood for it.)

He'll be pretty much right under me the whole time. I'm not going to leave him here at the house by himself, I don't know him well enough (with nearly ten years gone by) to trust him to babysit my kid who's also out for the holidays. So, I'll be carting both the boys and the dog into the office with me every morning.

I'll try to teach him the value of the southern afternoon nap too. He already knows the value of hard work, according to his mom. The kid has apparently been in violation of child labor laws for a couple of years, by holding multiple jobs and working too many hours. He's been lying about it to his employers, and taking cash jobs. But, apparently he has a great reputation... until his dad was killed and he went off the deep end.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #32264
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I don't drink much if at all. I have a bottle of vodka in the freezer with maybe one shot left. It's been there since September. I'll go ahead and dump it down the drain. (that's how little I drink, I'd rather pour it down the drain than drink it when I'm not really in the mood for it.)

He'll be pretty much right under me the whole time. I'm not going to leave him here at the house by himself, I don't know him well enough (with nearly ten years gone by) to trust him to babysit my kid who's also out for the holidays. So, I'll be carting both the boys and the dog into the office with me every morning.

I'll try to teach him the value of the southern afternoon nap too. He already knows the value of hard work, according to his mom. The kid has apparently been in violation of child labor laws for a couple of years, by holding multiple jobs and working too many hours. He's been lying about it to his employers, and taking cash jobs. But, apparently he has a great reputation... until his dad was killed and he went off the deep end.
Trip, it sounds like the young man is carrying a lot of grief and doesn't know how to deal with it. he may not have come to terms with the passing of his father and is using the alcohol as crutch to not have to deal with it. the passing of his father at his age is very hard as he is not a child and not quite an adult and he is having a very hard time dealing with it in a proper way.

you will have your work cut out for you though and we all wish you and him the best of luck. sending prayers your way. good luck to you.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #32265

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Thanks man.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #32266

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Good luck trip. It should be a positive learning experience for both if you. Just getting away will do him some good in itself.

Feral cat waterboarder

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #32267
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8278 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

Trip,
One thing I forgot to mention. Make it fun. Go out and have some damn good fun with the boy. He isn't being sent to prison with you so don't make him feel like he is being punished. Replace the bottle with some good fun.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #32268
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3170 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Trip, One thing I forgot to mention. Make it fun. Go out and have some damn good fun with the boy. He isn't being sent to prison with you so don't make him feel like he is being punished. Replace the bottle with some good fun.
+100 on that, good advice from a Dad of Boys! My Dad went about it somewhat differently with my Sister( an adopted 1st cousin who's parents were both killed in a car accident)...But Trip has a lot of room here to work with because he already has SUE.
Trip: once his Rack is squared away, move him onto something else to straitened out, giving him slightly more responsibility each task....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #32269

Liked 1084 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Trip , introduce him to the great and wonderful world of tannerite , in fact a well placed charge by a half empty fuel tank makes me feel better no matter whats going on , dont put it out either , let it burn then quickly leave the scene .

Went and played in the swamp yesterday , I have a love hate relationship with it , all of our old trails and ruts are long gone but the ball joints , axles and tire rod ends still remain , forever at rest in the muddy graves . It has cost us enough money in repairs to buy the whole damn swamp , my last ride cost me all four axles , both tie rods , a winch and 1 ball joint . This swamp is like the great white buffalo and hotel California , IF you can make it in , your not coming back out .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

bigdaddy60 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #32270
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Why why why do I always get the flu Christmas week?

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.