Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3226
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #32251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Gonna have a visitor for a bit, and I'd like to ask y'all to wish me luck.

When I were just a wee young devil pup, I had to train a few other good men.

One of them died recently. His 16 or 17 year old oldest son is taking it hard. He's gone into drinking and fighting, and has just really made a nuisance of himself.

His mom, my friend's widow, contacted me today after hunting me down through some mutual friends. Told me that the boy still talks about hanging out with his dad and "Uncle Trip". Told me what was going on, and asked if I had any advice.

In the end, I offered to take the boy in until he goes back to school after Christmas.

I don't have a damn clue what I'm getting myself into I'm sure. My starting goals are just to get him sober and thinking straight again. Then we'll go from there.

His mom will contact me in the morning with the flight info, if she doesn't tonight.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #32252

Liked 310 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 42

What happened to country music?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #32253

Liked 775 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well i must be strange too. i would rather have a bayonet or a tomahawk than a video game!
It just really bothers me when im missing something for my military rifles..

I gotta at least have the correct sling and bayonet.

By the way The bayonet I got was for my M1917, man are those things pricey! Its the first bayonet Ive bought that cost me over a $100!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #32254
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6574 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

One of them died recently. His 16 or 17 year old oldest son is taking it hard. He's gone into drinking and fighting, and has just really made a nuisance of himself.

His mom, my friend's widow, contacted me today after hunting me down through some mutual friends. Told me that the boy still talks about hanging out with his dad and "Uncle Trip". Told me what was going on, and asked if I had any advice.

In the end, I offered to take the boy in until he goes back to school after Christmas.

I don't have a damn clue what I'm getting myself into I'm sure. My starting goals are just to get him sober and thinking straight again. Then we'll go from there.

His mom will contact me in the morning with the flight info, if she doesn't tonight.
Good luck. That's a tough situation all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post

Too many singers are trying to create "popular" music, and as a result are creating crap instead. It's not country any more. It's closer to being modern rock and rap.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #32255
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

Trip, i don't know how it will turn out any better than you. but apparently you made some impression upon this young man and it seems maybe he has some respect for you. you may be the one to be able to reach out to him and help him get his life going in the right direction again.

i wish you luck and success and tip my hat to you for doing this to try and help this young man out when he probably needs it most.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #32256

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I haven't seen the kid since he was around 8-9 or so.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #32257

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post

this should explain it for you. it did for me!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #32258

a random thought for the day.

George Jones was such a part of country music for many years and had such an impact on so many other coutry artists. here are two of my favorites paying tribute to the legend.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #32259

Liked 310 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The only new stuff I like is Hank Jr and Hank III

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 12-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #32260
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8579 Times on 4953 Posts
Likes Given: 11133

Quote:

Take the challenge. I have no clue as to what I would do in that situation. But it would be figured out before the end of his visit.

Take a look back at yourself when you were his age and try to imagine how your life might have been less difficult had "Uncle Trip" been given the opportunity to enlighten you. And then do that.

Don't drink. Don't fight. Lead by example. You are a Marine. You can do this.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
bigdaddy60 Likes This