Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3051
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #30501
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3373 Times on 1879 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post

+1

I mentioned several times of going to the fights to my wife, she just kind of shrugged her shoulders. Then she made plans with my cousins wife to go to their house the same night. At least I didn't order the tickets already. It's pretty much a normal occurence in my house too.
I forget sometimes to let Trip know when I'm going to be out late or not able to be on my phone, but I try really hard not to make it a regular occurrence. I am pretty forgetful, I'll sometimes forget I have something planned and say I'll do something else at the same time. I've started writing things down, it helps a lot. and I'm trying to be nicer to Trip.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #30502
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
I am having a NASTY fight with my significant other right now.
Let me ask your opinion.

I ALWAYS tell her if I make plans or invite someone to the house because I feel it's the respectful thing to do. She doesn't do the same. I come home and randomly people are there. Now, not random people, mutual friends, but I still think a head's up would be nice before I pull into the driveway.

I asked for the same respect and told her that not getting that respect was starting to hurt my feelings.

Am I wrong for that?

I was instead called controlling and she made sure to mention that it is HER house. We have lived together for years and raise OUR daughter in that house....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
Not to put my business out there, but I want to know if I'm missing something. Am I truly in the wrong?
My soon-to-be-ex-wife would pull that sort of thing. Essentially it is her reinforcing her control over you due to the house being "hers" (same situation I was in and my wife would frequently remind me of this). It is a narcissistic tendency for people to claim that a person is controlling when they are the ones establishing the control. That does not mean she is a narcissist. That would not be good.

Its also worth knowing that mothers will do this all the time. They want to have control over their "nest" and perceive your request to be treated with equal respect to be a move into their territory.

That having been said, don't continue to argue over it. Nothing will come of an argument but hurt feelings. Agree to disagree for now and then set a time when you can talk it over calmly and without attacking each other.

Remember, don't argue with your lady. Dicker.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #30503
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Sometimes dickering don't work. At that point, run for the hills...

Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #30504
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7441 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 15311

Today, I met a 92 year old woman!

I asked her what she attributed her longevity to.
She said "What about the one in the back?"

Then I realized... she doesn't know she's dead.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #30505
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 238 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

I think we need to teach children that the world is a cruel place. I learned that the hard way, I'm still not sure I've completely learned that people aren't to be trusted.
One of the ancient geek philosophers, I think Plutarch, did a dissertation on why it is better to be an honest and honorable person, than a dishonest and dishonorable person. Basically, no one can conceive of a person who is a better person than they are. So an honest, honorable person can believe that others are honest and honorable, until they prove themselves to be otherwise. And because they can trust others they can have true freinds and companions.

The dishonorable, dishonest person can trust no one, and can never have true friends and companions.

You have to trust to have friends. Sometimes you'll be disappointed, but mat of the time you won't be.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #30506
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2042 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

My son noticed a story on Fox News this morning. The link is:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/06/7-first-class-passengers-give-up-seats-to-marines-returning-from-afghanistan/

Some Marines returning from Afghanistan got a warm welcome they richly deserve.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #30507

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

This blew my mind...
Yesterday, due to an argument with someone, I looked up a map overlay of the distribution of cancer rates and cancer deaths within Louisiana. The map made absolutely no sense at all to me. There was no pattern that I could identify. We don't have higher cancer rates along rivers, along the coast, in the bayous, rural areas, metro areas... It's just a shotgun pattern, only not even as consistent. We have some parishes with sky high cancer rates, surrounded by parishes with minimal cancer rates. No rhyme or reason at all that I could see.

This morning, due to another argument with someone else about desegregation, I looked up maps of school zones before and after, and the demographics thereof, before and after.

Now I see the pattern. It LOOKS like black people may be more likely to get cancer. I found the maps from yesterday and put them side by side. I compared population densities, terrain, square mileage of urban areas, square mileage of industrial areas, everything I could think of on a short notice (I've been very industrious this morning) and the ONLY commonality I can find is race.

I already knew that blacks are more susceptible to heart disease, cholesterol problems, and high blood pressure, but I don't remember ever hearing anything about cancer.

And it was just really eye opening and amazing to me to accidentally stumble upon this by myself. You can tell someone all day long, "African Americans are more susceptible to cancer." But when they find such a thing on their own? Geez. It just blew me away.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #30508

For sale here in Louisiana. Seller says the barrel is so rusted he's selling it as a non shooter for 50 bucks. M44.

forumrunner_20131107_081221.jpg

And a funny as hell picture I found on Facebook.

img_313949475260534.jpg

Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #30509
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
One of the ancient geek philosophers, I think Plutarch, did a dissertation on why it is better to be an honest and honorable person, than a dishonest and dishonorable person. Basically, no one can conceive of a person who is a better person than they are. So an honest, honorable person can believe that others are honest and honorable, until they prove themselves to be otherwise. And because they can trust others they can have true freinds and companions.

The dishonorable, dishonest person can trust no one, and can never have true friends and companions.

You have to trust to have friends. Sometimes you'll be disappointed, but mat of the time you won't be.
I agree. This is exactly what I do when meeting new people. I give every one the benefit of the doubt at first. I like meeting new people. They have to prove to me thery're an idiot for me to dislike them. I meet a lot of awesome people almost every day, even if it's in passing at the grocery store or gas station. This is a very profound post and one I wish some people would read over and over. It is so true. Thanks for posting this, JnF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
My son noticed a story on Fox News this morning. The link is:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/06/7-first-class-passengers-give-up-seats-to-marines-returning-from-afghanistan/

Some Marines returning from Afghanistan got a warm welcome they richly deserve.
Very nice read. I think this country learned a lot since Vietnam. It warms my soul to see people taking care of each other.........especially our service men and woman. They are doing a job I could never do and I appreciate them.
BK3220 Likes This 
Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #30510

I'm the exact opposite. I assume most people I meet are perfectly neutral. From there I let them prove to me that they're worthy of my time or my disdain.

About the only exceptions are when I'm meeting someone through a mutual friend. In that situation, I assume we're going to get along great until/unless they prove me wrong.