Random Thoughts Thread - Page 3008
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #30071
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Hey, here's a crazy idea, how about if your limit was 0 whether riding a bike or driving a car?
A-freakin-men!

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.
People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #30072
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7801 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 16491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989
Hey, here's a crazy idea, how about if your limit was 0 whether riding a bike or driving a car?
I wouldn't drive after one; if I ever stopped after one.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #30073
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
I would need a delivery bar service..........a very tolerant one. In my old age, my limit is time-based; I like to have an hour after I quit drinking before I drive to determine if I am OK to drive (physically). If I don't have a driver, I don't drink more than I can sober up from in an hour or so. I have slept in my car many, many times.

In my youth, I was sometimes less discriminating; I slept out of my car a few times.

If the government wants a "0" limit, they will have to try to enforce one. I foresee many, many hangups in court.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #30074

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I agree the limit should be zero.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #30075
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8835 Times on 5111 Posts
Likes Given: 11530

Two things I've never had:

1) Too much fun.

2) Just one drink.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #30076
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
I agree the limit should be zero.
Do you really think half a beer per hour impairs your ability to operate machinery enough to be a danger to others in a realistic situation?

I did a project for a statistics class in college that centered around how much different amounts of alcohol affected my accuracy with a snub-nosed .38 special. Allowing time for the drinks to "hit me" fully beforehand, my accuracy was not significantly affected by alcohol for the first few drinks (started after the third, significant after four IIRC).

I have functioned in a severely impaired state many times, maybe I have gotten adjusted to it. Certainly there are regular/daily heavy drinkers who aren't really impacted by two or three drinks.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #30077
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
alcohol absorbtion is dependent upon time and weight. and IIRC, all states have minimum legal limit of BAC. in the state of Texas, it's .08. at my body weight, 5-6 in a four to five hour period, i am stll way under the legal limit.

i know, i have been stopped and tested several times, and drove off afterwards. i have done several field sobriety tests as well. so if i was a danger of being too intoxicated, i would have went to jail.

and here is another one, that many people don't know, that you can still be charged with a DWI or DUI even if you are under the legal limit. they have gotten convictions in Texas for doing so.

i am very well aware of my limits and the legal limits. i knew when to call the wife or a cab when i had too much. i very seldom drink anymore and pretty much only at home if i do now. please don't imply that i was an irresponsible driver, becausei wasn't.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #30078
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
alcohol absorbtion is dependent upon time and weight. and IIRC, all states have minimum legal limit of BAC. in the state of Texas, it's .08. at my body weight, 5-6 in a four to five hour period, i am stll way under the legal limit.

i know, i have been stopped and tested several times, and drove off afterwards. i have done several field sobriety tests as well. so if i was a danger of being too intoxicated, i would have went to jail.

and here is another one, that many people don't know, that you can still be charged with a DWI or DUI even if you are under the legal limit. they have gotten convictions in Texas for doing so.

i am very well aware of my limits and the legal limits. i knew when to call the wife or a cab when i had too much. i very seldom drink anymore and pretty much only at home if i do now. please don't imply that i was an irresponsible driver, becausei wasn't.
[raises glass]

(in spirit, spirits must wait another bit before I join them)

People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #30079
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8835 Times on 5111 Posts
Likes Given: 11530

Alcohol impairment is dependent upon the individual. Some people have a high tolerance and can function completely normally with a high BAC. Case in point is this "Vodka Sam" girl. http://www.ibtimes.com/vodka-sam-interview-samantha-goudie-speaks-out-about-341-bac-arrest-battles-depression-eating

She was out running on a field with a BAC of .341- a level that would have some people on the brink of death, and nearly anyone else would be passed out and under severe medical distress.

The laws are designed with the lower common denominator in mind, where an occasional drinker would be impaired behind the wheel. A regular, heavy drinker might not be as impaired as that average guy with twice as much alcohol in their system.

All that having been said, nobody can really objectively judge when they have "crossed the line" and are indeed impaired. It is all too often too late when they find out they are.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #30080
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3757 Times on 2083 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

Sorry Axxe, I should know better. I sometimes forget that you guys are a lot smarter than the guys I go to school with

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

People Like This