Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2841
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #28401
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3254 Times on 1805 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Maybe the chipped key is in close enough proximity to get the RF signal picked up by the receiver? That will happen.

Besides, who the Hell would want to steal a Duramax anyhow?
I don't think it's close enough most the time.

Someone who wants to get away before the truck breaks down.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #28402
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
Are you positive the key is chipped? My Mom locked the keys in my Dad's Duramax once and we called the closest dealership, they said they would cut us a new key from the VIN but it would only open the door, not start the truck because it was chipped. We use it as a spare and it starts the truck.
I'm not positive the key is chipped but I am pretty sure. I think I'll get a regular key made and see what it does. Even if it just opens my car, I'm better off than having no spare key at all. To have keys made around here is usually less than $5.00.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #28403
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm not positive the key is chipped but I am pretty sure. I think I'll get a regular key made and see what it does. Even if it just opens my car, I'm better off than having no spare key at all. To have keys made around here is usually less than $5.00.
Not positive but I think with some of the chipped keys if you try to start with a non chipped key it will lock the computer. Will work on locks and truck though. Probably varies by maker.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #28404

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If you have a non chipped key and use it in a 2005 pt cruiser, it will start the car, and the car will run indefinitely within its mechanical limits (ya know, until it runs out of gas or breaks down, either one is just as likely as the other), until you take it out of park. At that point, it'll shut off and you have to use the chipped key to restart it.

This is the only model I know about for sure.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #28405

Liked 87 Times on 57 Posts

I have a chipped key for my 05 Ford Taurus, I had a regular copy made four my doors after getting locked out once. All the copy will do is unlock the doors and trunk, won't even turn the ignition lock if you try it there.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #28406
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

different vehicles have different computer security systems when using a chipped key. on some of the older GM vehicles, a not chipped key would open the locks, the trunk and the ignition switch, but would not even crank the car. the GM vehicles were prone to failure of the switch that read the chip in the key, as the wires were about the size of a thread and would break.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #28407
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 717 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Our 2001 F150 Supercrew can only be started with the chipped key. Found that out the hard way when on a hunting trip in the middle of nowhere, and Wife thought she'd lost the key. My key, which we had made at the hardware store, would only work the doors, but wouldn't crank the truck. Luckily we found the good key.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #28408
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8263 Times on 4774 Posts
Likes Given: 10681

Winds,
If your key has a "T5" stamped on the metal then it is equipped with a transponder (see the pic of my Acura key below- Acura and Honda key blanks are identical). I just did a Google search looking for the pic and found a bunch of transponder key blanks for cheap available online- like $5 and up. (I didn't find the pic I was looking for so I took my own pic). There could be other marks in the same spot (after-market keys), but if it is marked then it is a transponder key. They transponder keys must be programmed once they are cut, and you must have all of the keys when programming a new key as I recall.

Hondas and Acuras will crank but will not start with a non-transponder key. It will not lock out the computer or anything of the sort.

dsc00146.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 09-09-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #28409

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Busy day. Range, cabelas, supper with In laws replaced tie rods on truck. All of them. Now cleaning guns. Tired.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #28410
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3254 Times on 1805 Posts
Likes Given: 140

So, first my roommate tells me the pills she's taking make her really tired, she takes them and ten minutes later says she will be lucky if she gets any sleep tonight. If you're going to whine at me, at least make up your mind about what you're going to whine about

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

People Like This