Random Thoughts Thread - Page 278
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #2771
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Well, its turkey cooked in a trashcan.

Take a new steel trashcan, not galvanized, dig a hole slightly larger around than the top of the can, dump a large bag of coals in it (or if you prefer a light wood), let the coals get hot and cover it with about two inches of dirt, then lay down aluminum foil and set a dutch oven in the center, and place your bird on the dutch oven (marinate the bird accordingly beforehand) then put the trashcan over top of it, open end down and line the ground around it with coals, then put hot coals on top of the can (which would actually be the bottom if it were right side up). Let it cook accordingly. If you want you can add either liquid smoke to the inside of the can, or lay woodchips around the dutch oven to add flavor. As the coals under the ground burn away it will suck the can down and create a seal, essentially turning your trashcan into a pressure cooker.

Something I added was a hole in the bottom of the can and placed a one way valve so I can dump marinade into it as it cooks, but doesn't let any of the pressure or flavor out.
Good tip there, but why not just have a big pressure cooker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-27-2009, 02:06 AM   #2772

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 767

i had a (jim beam and coffee turkey) for thanksgiving....i'll eat tomarrow

happy bird day to every1

Old 11-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #2773

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Good tip there, but why not just have a big pressure cooker?
So where does one get this one-way valve you described?

Old 11-27-2009, 04:28 AM   #2774
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

We just got home from friends for dinner. The company was excellent and the food was excellent as well. I will head for bed shortly and read for a while before lights out. A very pleasant day.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #2775

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
So where does one get this one-way valve you described?
I made mine. But I guess that you could buy one from one of the many hardware stores.
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #2776

i love a good day off.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #2777
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm sick of the juxtaposition of Thanksgiving to Turkey Day. It occurred to me that it's likely that many people no longer actually know why it's called Thanksgiving. Or for that matter, that it ever was.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #2778
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
I made mine. But I guess that you could buy one from one of the many hardware stores.
I wonder if a $3 PCV valve from Autozone would work?

I was thankful for some stuff yesterday (still am): my car is paid off & running well, i have a lot of toys, my cats either love me or chill easily, and my family seems to be doing pretty well health-wise.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #2779

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wonder if a $3 PCV valve from Autozone would work?

I was thankful for some stuff yesterday (still am): my car is paid off & running well, i have a lot of toys, my cats either love me or chill easily, and my family seems to be doing pretty well health-wise.
Wouldn't PVC melt? You have hot coals all around the can, and placed on top of it.
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #2780
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Wouldn't PVC melt? You have hot coals all around the can, and placed on top of it.
PCV = positive crankcase ventilation, but some are mostly plastic. Probably wouldn't be the best choice for that heat; you're right.