Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2756
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #27551
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2400 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2518

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
So, my identity was stolen a few years back, and now, after years of trying to get it all fixed and repaired, I finally have a competent attorney who is fighting all of it for me. Hopefully my credit score will go up. Its a 449 now, so you can imagine how much this identity fraud has impacted my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I told some kid the other day that if something has my full name and address on it, I rip it up. He said, what? You worried someone might steal your identity?"

And I'm over here like, "you're not? Were you born that dumb or did you have to work at it?"
Seems like every day I receive at least one CitiBank credit card offer. I hate having to spend the time shredding all that crap. If you just throw that in the trash, that's the easiest way for someone to steal your identity, max out the card and have the bill sent to you.

I'm seriously considering just writing "NOT INTERESTED" across the front of the application, putting all the junk they sent me plus their outer envelope into the No Postage Required envelope and sending it back to them. Pretty sure they have to pay postage on whatever gets sent back that way.

Does anyone know whether they are charged more for envelopes that weigh more? If they are, I'll stuff a bunch of other junk mail in there with it and tape it shut! Maybe when the cost of not getting any business from me gets high enough they'll stop bugging me.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #27552
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 835 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Seems like every day I receive at least one CitiBank credit card offer. I hate having to spend the time shredding all that crap. If you just throw that in the trash, that's the easiest way for someone to steal your identity, max out the card and have the bill sent to you.

I'm seriously considering just writing "NOT INTERESTED" across the front of the application, putting all the junk they sent me plus their outer envelope into the No Postage Required envelope and sending it back to them. Pretty sure they have to pay postage on whatever gets sent back that way.

Does anyone know whether they are charged more for envelopes that weigh more? If they are, I'll stuff a bunch of other junk mail in there with it and tape it shut! Maybe when the cost of not getting any business from me gets high enough they'll stop bugging me.
I either compost that stuff, or toss it on the next brushpile I burn.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #27553

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

the Duramax is actually a pretty decent engine. one of it's biggest problems was the fuel injection system. it was designed to run at very high pressure and was very fuel quality sensitive. fuel filter changes are definately a requirement, and the fuel filter is pain to replace. the Dodges with the Cummins had the worst transmissions, automatic or standard. pure junk. at least the Duramax got an Allison transmission.
From what I hear, the 5R110 in the 6.0's is just as stout as the Allison's. But the Cummins transmission I believe was built by an 8th grade science fair project.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #27554

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

I would take a Ford with a Cummins in it, if someone gave it to me. I honestly haven't known anyone to have problems with the Duramax, but then I've never claimed to know everything. Either way, I'll stick with CAT, Cummins, and Detroit and I'm talking 14 L Cummins not 5.7 L

Today in class we were looking up specs my instructor made it VERY clear that it's spelled C-U-M-M-I-N-S no G the website is quickserve.Cummins.com he said, "if you type that in wrong I'm sure you'll get some interesting stuff."
Oh I thought we were talking consumer trucks, not commercial...

But yeah, the Duramax was just as problematic as the 6.0. Super expensive problems too. But the biggest issue with the 6.0 was it's design. And not the design performance-wise, but rather maintenance-wise. For example, to get to the heads, you have to strip the ENTIRE engine. I heard when they designed the 6.7L they cut a head gasket job by 7 hours worth of labor! Yeah...changing the head gaskets or head bolts is a damn 10 hours worth of labor! Insane!

Old 08-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #27555
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3763 Times on 2088 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
From what I hear, the 5R110 in the 6.0's is just as stout as the Allison's. But the Cummins transmission I believe was built by an 8th grade science fair project.
I'm pretty sure it's a Dodge transmission which is why it's crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
Oh I thought we were talking consumer trucks, not commercial...

But yeah, the Duramax was just as problematic as the 6.0. Super expensive problems too. But the biggest issue with the 6.0 was it's design. And not the design performance-wise, but rather maintenance-wise. For example, to get to the heads, you have to strip the ENTIRE engine. I heard when they designed the 6.7L they cut a head gasket job by 7 hours worth of labor! Yeah...changing the head gaskets or head bolts is a damn 10 hours worth of labor! Insane!
Well, I was talking about the Powerstroke but like I said, I prefer real diesels.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

buckhuntr Likes This 
Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #27556

Liked 36 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 841

The 6.0 is a good engine after some work is done. The design by International was not the best. The oil cooler would restrict with casting sand from the block casting process which in turn caused egr coolers to crack. That caused superheated coolant to be sucked into the combustion chambers when the egr valve opened making excessive cylinder pressure stretching head bolts blowing head gaskets. But they were easier to do the head gasket replacements by removing the cab!!

Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #27557
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3763 Times on 2088 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy60 View Post
The 6.0 is a good engine after some work is done. The design by International was not the best. The oil cooler would restrict with casting sand from the block casting process which in turn caused egr coolers to crack. That caused superheated coolant to be sucked into the combustion chambers when the egr valve opened making excessive cylinder pressure stretching head bolts blowing head gaskets. But they were easier to do the head gasket replacements by removing the cab!!
Yeah... Sounds like a great engine.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #27558

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Dodge used the Aisin manual. I thought that's where their autos were coming from too.

Personal experience between dodge and Chevy, about 100k miles in two specific trucks, the Chevy's torque converter exploded. No trouble with the dodge.

My old 1 ton Ford work truck never had a problem until it turned over 600k (2004 model, no idea what engine, manual transmission). I've since become firmly convinced that was blind luck. Can't keep a transmission in my 6 cylinder the city has me driving. On number 3 right now with 12k miles. You read that right, TWELVE THOUSAND. As in, it's getting its 4th oil change next week.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #27559
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8850 Times on 5123 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Dodge used the Getrag and Aisin manual trannies (Wanna blow a tranny? Drive a Dodge!) But they also had the New venture 4500 which is a right stout tranny.

My '01 Ford has a ZF 6-speed. Damn fine truck, had no problems with it to speak of.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #27560

Liked 812 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 931

wow, my experience has been the opposite.... I can kill anything but a dodge or International (Of course, I drive real Internationals, not those "Navstar" ones... )

I had a fifth ave. I tried my best to destroy, I treated it like a 4x4, never did any maintenance what so ever (no oil changes, never put fluid in the trans., stuff like that), would overheat it at least 4-5 days a week, EVERY week, sometimes to the point it would stop running. but that car ran great 'till the day I sold it. Not so much as strange noise, no ticks, clunks or anything....
My current Rampage is doing great and both my Internationals from 1973 still run...