Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #27421
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2776 Times on 1909 Posts
Likes Given: 560

My wife thinbks i have "selective" deafness....

"honey,...let the Dog out!!!" Ok.......
(5 mins later) "HONEY DID YOU LET THE DOG OUT???" Oh sorry!!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #27422
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7744 Times on 4473 Posts
Likes Given: 9991

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I don't hear well. Probably shot deaf. I got hearing aids a few years ago. With those things in, I could hear the a/c running, the refrigerator, the water in the pipes moving. I still couldn't hear conversations or the television over the background. I took them back.
Yup. Me too. Plus, hearing aids don't address tinnitus.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #27423
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Yup. Me too. Plus, hearing aids don't address tinnitus.
I have ringing in my ears too which is definitely more noticeable when I'm trying to go to sleep. Annoying isn't it? However my hearing is phenomenal.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #27424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
I have ringing in my ears too which is definitely more noticeable when I'm trying to go to sleep. Annoying isn't it? However my hearing is phenomenal.
Mine is a high pitched screech 24/7/365 since I was probably about 20 years old. Sometimes I get a sound like rain falling on the roof or water falling down a hill. It is annoying because I have to get up and check all the faucets to make sure nobody left anything on. It is always "loud" enough to compete with people talking at a normal conversational volume. I can't hear sh!t in a room full of people talking like a restaurant. It is just a caciphony of sound to me. I can get by through lip reading though. The tinnitus is ever present and noticeable.

A couple of years ago my sons and I were building an air cannon and we were pressuring up the pressure vessel for the umpteenth time to check for leaks, it got up to maybe 60 PSI or so and the boys said to pressure it down because it was leaking, yet I couldn't hear a thing and told them to keep on building pressure, they said it got louder and louder but I still couldn't hear it as it was the same sound as the tinnitus makes in my head. The both looked at each other and said how it was no wonder I was always in such a grouchy mood and if they had to hear that noise all the time they would go insane.

Guess that's my excuse.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #27425
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Mine is a high pitched screech 24/7/365 since I was probably about 20 years old. Sometimes I get a sound like rain falling on the roof or water falling down a hill. It is annoying because I have to get up and check all the faucets to make sure nobody left anything on. It is always "loud" enough to compete with people talking at a normal conversational volume. I can't hear sh!t in a room full of people talking like a restaurant. It is just a caciphony of sound to me. I can get by through lip reading though. The tinnitus is ever present and noticeable.

A couple of years ago my sons and I were building an air cannon and we were pressuring up the pressure vessel for the umpteenth time to check for leaks, it got up to maybe 60 PSI or so and the boys said to pressure it down because it was leaking, yet I couldn't hear a thing and told them to keep on building pressure, they said it got louder and louder but I still couldn't hear it as it was the same sound as the tinnitus makes in my head. The both looked at each other and said how it was no wonder I was always in such a grouchy mood and if they had to hear that noise all the time they would go insane.

Guess that's my excuse.
I don't know if this really works because I've never tried it but I hear if you play "white noise" it blocks out some of the ringing. I can ignore mine if there's other sounds. It is just really annoying when it's quiet. Probably all of the concerts I went to as a kid. I can hear a mouse fart though. I think that's why I'm such a light sleeper.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #27426
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1674 Times on 1020 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Vikings didn't rape and pillage for the plunder, they did it for the FUN!!!
And who would know better than Vikingdad? J/K.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

People Like This 
Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #27427

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I can feel it coming... my eyelids are getting so droopy and my eyes are so bloodshot...I look stoned outta my gourd.

I'm working another double tomorrow...worked one today...and yesterday...and an extra single this past Saturday...that's at least 32 hours of overtime...that I can remember...

I can feel myself ready to fall down right now. Mmmmmmmmm..... this tile floor in the office is gonna be so nice and cool.... I haven't gotten over 3 hours of sleep a night in at least 3 weeks.
3 hours a night is a little low. Be careful driving home, or better yet, talk someone into driving you.

I usually run about 5 a night and have for a few years now. It is survivable, but does take some getting used to.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #27428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
For the love of all that is holy, I have been telling him that for sooo long now!
Keep telling him. You have a little more influence than we have!

Balota

Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #27429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
I don't know if this really works because I've never tried it but I hear if you play "white noise" it blocks out some of the ringing. I can ignore mine if there's other sounds. It is just really annoying when it's quiet. Probably all of the concerts I went to as a kid. I can hear a mouse fart though. I think that's why I'm such a light sleeper.
White noise drives me nuts. My tinnitus is due to running power equipment (chainsaws, table saws, log splitters, etc., etc.) from a young age and then when I was 20 I started working in auto racing and the loud engines really screwed me up. It has gotten worse with age too even despite my using hearing protection since my mid 20's.
My deafness in my one ear is due to my having mumps when I was 3 years old. I was lucky because most people go totally deaf in both ears. I only lost one.

As a result I am a freaking Nazi with my boys when it comes to hearing protection. They carry earplugs with them everywhere they go and use them at the slightest sign of loud noise.

Quote:

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #27430

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Zg, white noise of various sorts(music in particular) helps a bit. If I go to long in quiet(like at work in hearing protection) I start to, at first, get incredibly antsy, and then downright anxious. It blows.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------