Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2739
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #27381
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7816 Times on 4691 Posts
Likes Given: 9843

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What happens if a bear finds you and is "in the mood"?
Then you're screwed.
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #27382
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989

My little sister watches that show. I'll keep my opinion to myself :P
My students are always trying to get me to watch it so we are since we got Netflix. Sad to say I love it. Don't hold that against me.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #27383
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3760 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post

My students are always trying to get me to watch it so we are since we got Netflix. Sad to say I love it. Don't hold that against me.
Well, I still love my sister, so I guess we can be friends

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #27384

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I borrowed my co-worker's estranged mom's password.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #27385
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3760 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I borrowed my co-worker's estranged mom's password.
If you're watching Pretty Little Liars I may not be so forgiving....

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

buckhuntr Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #27386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post

If you're watching Pretty Little Liars I may not be so forgiving....
Yeah, think again. I watched Hell on wheels. Then this morning before I got busy I watched "secrets of the Viking sword", a national geographic special on the making, origin, and design of the Ulfbreht sword. Awesome stuff.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #27387
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Yeah, think again. I watched Hell on wheels. Then this morning before I got busy I watched "secrets of the Viking sword", a national geographic special on the making, origin, and design of the Ulfbreht sword. Awesome stuff.
That sounds really interesting where did come from originally??

Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #27388

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post

That sounds really interesting where did come from originally??
Ulfbreht? They believe it's forged from high carbon crucible steel obtained through Viking trading in Iran, mostly because of two bits of information: the Vikings were incapable of making such pure steel, and the people of Iran were; and they were only made while that particular trade route was open, through the course of about 150 years.

It's one of the earlier examples of a "name brand" it seems, and even had its own knock offs. The design is Viking.

No one knows what Ulfbreht means, but it's Frankish origin in name, which would point towards France. But France was firmly Catholic at the time, and the Catholic church forbade trading with them. Another interesting tidbit is this: "Ulfbreht" is actually inlaid into the steel with a separate metal (iron or lower quality steel), by the name being cut into the blade, then the letters inlaid, pounded into place, and forge welded. But it's inlaid as +ULFBREH+T with the "+" being a Christian cross. Now, the Vikings of the era weren't Christians. And even Christians of the time didn't put a cross in front of their names...except for officers within the Catholic church...mostly the French ones.

So...what's up with a "name brand" sword, made of Iranian steel, by Vikings, bearing a Frankish name incorporating Catholic symbology of the era? That's the mystery. Who was Ulfbreht? No one knows. With such a famous "brand" of sword, and fairly extensive written records by the Vikings concerning their infatuation with, and history of their weapons, they can't find any mention of a family of blacksmiths, a region, guild or anything that points to the makers of Ulfbreht swords. They're certain it's more than one person because of the time frame.

Anyway. Richard Furrer is the man who actually built a new one using primitive methods. The show goes through the whole sword making process as he does it.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #27389
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

Quote:
Ulfbreht? They believe it's forged from high carbon crucible steel obtained through Viking trading in Iran, mostly because of two bits of information: the Vikings were incapable of making such pure steel, and the people of Iran were; and they were only made while that particular trade route was open, through the course of about 150 years.

It's one of the earlier examples of a "name brand" it seems, and even had its own knock offs. The design is Viking.

No one knows what Ulfbreht means, but it's Frankish origin in name, which would point towards France. But France was firmly Catholic at the time, and the Catholic church forbade trading with them. Another interesting tidbit is this: "Ulfbreht" is actually inlaid into the steel with a separate metal (iron or lower quality steel), by the name being cut into the blade, then the letters inlaid, pounded into place, and forge welded. But it's inlaid as +ULFBREH+T with the "+" being a Christian cross. Now, the Vikings of the era weren't Christians. And even Christians of the time didn't put a cross in front of their names...except for officers within the Catholic church...mostly the French ones.

So...what's up with a "name brand" sword, made of Iranian steel, by Vikings, bearing a Frankish name incorporating Catholic symbology of the era? That's the mystery. Who was Ulfbreht? No one knows. With such a famous "brand" of sword, and fairly extensive written records by the Vikings concerning their infatuation with, and history of their weapons, they can't find any mention of a family of blacksmiths, a region, guild or anything that points to the makers of Ulfbreht swords. They're certain it's more than one person because of the time frame.

Anyway. Richard Furrer is the man who actually built a new one using primitive methods. The show goes through the whole sword making process as he does it.
Did not know that. I just assumed that my ancestors got them the same way they got everything else. They stole 'em.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #27390
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:

That's interesting to say the least. I'll have to watch that.