Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2729
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #27281
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Got my electric bill in. Lemme rephrase, I got my bragging rights in...

screenshot_2013-07-31-17-07-29-1.jpg

When I moved in, my bill was running nearly 300 per month. I stopped in at preparedsociety.com and got some tips from those nice folks on conserving electricity. I did find some faulty wiring that was grounding out and sucking power like a dirty whore.

I'm accustomed to living in small apartments, where my HIGH electric bills were about 80 per month. The place I lived at in Ruston, right before I moved here, my electric bills were about 60 per month, so you can see how 300 nearly made me ****, puke, pass out, stroke, and have a heart attack all at the same time.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #27282
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

my bill runs around 87. actually it is 87.. every month.. cept dec when my budget evens itself and I pay between 25 and 40.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #27283

Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Mines 120-160. My wife pays it, but I still walk around shutting lights off, especially when every Friggen light in the house is on, and she is watching tv.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #27284
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Mines 120-160. My wife pays it, but I still walk around shutting lights off, especially when every Friggen light in the house is on, and she is watching tv.
my wife is going through those dreaded heat flashes and wants the house like an ice box. after spending all day out in the heat, i can come into the house with it being 78 degrees and it feels great. at 70 degrees, i get chills pretty fast!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #27285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

my wife is going through those dreaded heat flashes and wants the house like an ice box. after spending all day out in the heat, i can come into the house with it being 78 degrees and it feels great. at 70 degrees, i get chills pretty fast!
And then its that much hotter when you go back out. I feel your pain, man. My wife will go from hypothermia to heatstroke in an hours time, and this is at the same temperature. Dem womens funny sometimes...

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #27286
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
And then its that much hotter when you go back out. I feel your pain, man. My wife will go from hypothermia to heatstroke in an hours time, and this is at the same temperature. Dem womens funny sometimes...
when it's a 100 degrees outside and 95% humidity and your soaking wet with sweat, an you go into the house and it's 70 degrees, it feels good for about five minutes, then you're freezing to death and i usually end up getting summer colds because of it. during the day, while at work and i have to go somewhere, many times i won't even use the AC in my truck, because it makes me feel worse rather than better.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #27287

Liked 345 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
the girlfriend does that too, telling her to shut them off doesn't work, I have to walk behind her & do it. Maybe that's revenge for my lack of doing dishes?

At the worst the electric bill in our apartment was $80, average was $40 or so. she's gonna be surprised when we move into the house at how much higher it can be, what with central air & all that. Never mind how much water & gas will cost too.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #27288

I've thrown screaming fits over the air conditioning at work.

We have a tiny little office, about the size of an average nice bathroom that has double sinks.

My boss is a peckerhead about air conditioning and heat. I'm not just a huge believer in either one when I work outside all the time, as I do at my job. Two part reason. The sudden changes in temperature gives me "the sniffles", and I wear glasses. It's such an aggravation when they fog up constantly.

The first thing he does is blast the heat or air maxed out when he gets in my work truck. The first thing I do after that is turn it off and roll the windows down. It's just recently gotten hot enough that I'll turn on the truck AC to the lowest power setting.

I don't run any climate control at home when I'm not there. This allows me to acclimate to the temperature change when I get home and turn it on. I also turn it off at night and open windows, run the ceiling fans.

But when I come into work in the mornings, and it's already hot and muggy at 5 AM, yet the AC (window unit) is running full blast, there's frost on the window opposite the unit, and the inside thermometer is reading 50, I'll throw a screaming, cussing, daffy duck fit like it's nobody's business.

I have threatened to shoot the window unit, and rip the knobs off in the truck. I can't even sit down to eat my breakfast at the office because it's so damned cold. And I've told my boss, as I tell him everyday, for 8 hours a day, that truck is MINE. I control the climate control and the radio. If he doesn't like it, that's why he has his own supervisor's truck. Leave my radio and climate control the HELL ALONE, or you'll end up walking.

He and I have our own special set of problems though. He's a control freak in the extreme and was just forced to take a week vacation to get his head right when I went to his supervisor over some of his antics.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #27289

I also just have to say, as it just crossed my mind as a random thought, as a bookworm, I've read some truly fantastic stories. I'm into sci-fi mostly, and the older sci-fi truly is best, IMO. Jules Vern, Heinlein, and others of their school of fantasy. Wonderful stuff. John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" was a truly amazing story. The only book I've ever finished, and having read the last word on the last page, immediately flipped back to the beginning and read again.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #27290

Daffy duck fit, I'll have to tell the a$$hat I work with that, if we ever start talking again. Funny stuff.

A/c? I leave it on lots of times in the car, but turn the temp way up. If its 90 outside, the air is on 80 or so. It takes the humididity down, but the shock isn't as bad when I'm back in the weather. It keeps the unkept car from smelling musty too. For some reason the car gets more of a musty smell when I'm in it. Hmmm

Feral cat waterboarder