Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #27241
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7786 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've been arguing with an anti gun liberal Brit on Facebook. I kinda think I won.

Every anti gun point he made, I countered with hard facts. He made the emotional plea, I gave him logic and cited examples.

At one point, it was almost a contest of wills to see who would lose their temper first. Can you believe I kept my cool? I even surprised myself. What happened though, is someone else chimed in with some really extraordinary insults, calling me names and making claims about my sexuality and hinting that I'm likely a pedophile. At the same time, someone else (pro gun) did the same to the Brit I was talking to.

I told psycho who was so concerned about my sexual preferences that he was out of line, then urged other people to treat "Colin" fairly, as he was being civil, and doesn't understand our laws (he thinks we should be restricted to firing warning shots or strictly wounding shots, and everyone should have a full psyche eval to own a gun).

No real headway in changing the guy's mind, but I did make head way in getting him to understand that his ideas simply don't work as well on this side of the pond as he thinks they do on his. AND I got through it without urging him to jump off a bridge. Win.

Now where's that one jerk I can't ****ing stand? I desperately need to tell someone to go **** themselves. This civility wears about as comfortably as a porcupine quill vest covered in bovine diarrhea (bull ****).
Good show old bean! I had a similar exchange with a former friend who immigrated here from France. He has not changed his mind other than to not engage me when I post gun related things on my FB. On the other hand I will engage him with gusto when he posts something anti-gun or anti-freedom. Actually anytime he posts something that I have a good deal of knowledge about. Last time it was on a honey bee colony in a tree on his property and he wanted to start up beekeeping. I managed to corral the conversation and lead it around to guns. You do know that keeping honeybees is just like owning guns, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Think of it this way. If someone resorts to insults like that, it means you have won the argument hands down. Someone who is truly winning a debate does not feel the need to resort to insults like that. There is no reason for them to.
I have seen that happen around here before. Some of them are no longer around.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #27242
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1675 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Keeping honeybees is just like owning a gun. Sure. Everybody knows that. It's just that one stings a lot more.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #27243

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The Brit sent me a friend request this morning on Facebook. Of course I accepted.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #27244

Anyone else catching a ton of static on the radio?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #27245

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

Quote:
It's the asteroid. THE asteroid. You have about an hour or so, depending on where it hits the earth.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #27246

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
The Brit sent me a friend request this morning on Facebook. Of course I accepted.
You could be laying him to, at the very least, a more open consciousness :-P

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #27247

Liked 968 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Quote:
It's the asteroid. THE asteroid. You have about an hour or so, depending on where it hits the earth.
F it , Im down , lets go !

Quote:
Keeping honeybees is just like owning a gun. Sure. Everybody knows that. It's just that one stings a lot more.
I would take the dooms day assteroid ANYDAY over having a handfull of bees around me , hell to the no , I will pick up a pit viper before I will mess with bees
I might would even shake obamas hand vrs walking up to a bee hive with a full suit on

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #27248

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post

You could be laying him to, at the very least, a more open consciousness :-P
I assume you mean lead
And yeah, that's kinda what I'm hoping. Since I'm also friends with my granny, mom, sister, and young teenage cousins on Facebook, I keep it pretty clean. Maybe he'll at the very least get the impression that not all gun owners are in dire need of psychological evaluation.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #27249

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:

I assume you mean lead
And yeah, that's kinda what I'm hoping. Since I'm also friends with my granny, mom, sister, and young teenage cousins on Facebook, I keep it pretty clean. Maybe he'll at the very least get the impression that not all gun owners are in dire need of psychological evaluation.
I don't know, you might scare him away :-P

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #27250

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post

I don't know, you might scare him away :-P
I thought of that right after I posted!