Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #26941
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr
Wife got home yesterday to a scene of carnage and slaughter. Two strange dogs had slaughtered our poultry, leaving 18 chickens, one turkey and a guinea dead or missing. The dogs were still hanging around, at least until the shooting started. Wife put a .22 in one, and a load of #6 in the other. I finished off the first. None of the neighbors we talked to knew who the dogs belonged to, and we concluded they were dumped on our road. Gdamnitalltohell!!
Try to make a homstead, and some mfing moron decides he doesn't want his dogs anymore and dumps them in the country. GRRRR...
From now on, if it's on our place and isn't ours or the closest neighbor's, it's shoot on sight, I don't care if it has a pedigree a mile long, it will NOT be toler(ed around my livestock.
Maybe they were wild? Usually owned dogs won't act like that unless they're trained to. Crazy thing to come home to though, what did you do with the chickens?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #26942

Liked 548 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBarrelTac View Post
Maybe they were wild? Usually owned dogs won't act like that unless they're trained to. Crazy thing to come home to though, what did you do with the chickens?
Pretty sure the dogs were dumped on our road. The irresponsible sumbich who dumped them ought to be tarred and feathered, then fed to the hogs.
I disposed of the bird carcasses on the back corner of my property, ground's too hard right now to bury them, and I don't have a backhoe.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #26943

Iv always had a dog as a best friend and companion, I don't see why people would just dump dogs off on the side of a road I hate hearing stories like that. I agree with you on the feather and tarring haha.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #26944
F4U

Liked 792 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBarrelTac View Post
Iv always had a dog as a best friend and companion, I don't see why people would just dump dogs off on the side of a road I hate hearing stories like that. I agree with you on the feather and tarring haha.
When I was a kid we lived on a road with only one other house about 3/4 of a mile away from ours. People were constantly dumping dogs or cats on this old dirt road. Dad would put a little cat food out in the barn so the cats would hang around, but not enough food so that the cats wouldn't hunt to add to their food supply.

We sorta adopted a lot of cats and a few dogs, or they adopted us, not sure which.

One time someone dumped a beagle mother with 11 puppies in a box at the end of our driveway. The puppies were too young to climb out of a shoe box, maybe 2-3 weeks old way too young to separated from their mother.

Mom called the humane society because we already had 2 or 3 dogs and didn't need 12 more. They told her that since the mother was with them they must be runaways, not dumped off, and if we brought them in they would charge her something like $10 or $15 per dog for shots, neutering, etc. I can't remember the amount now. This was the mid 70s, $100 or $150 was a lot of money then. We ended up taking them to the pound.

About 6 months later a fundraiser from the humane society called for a donation. I was 12 or 13 at the time and just starting to appreciate proper cussing, when I heard my usually polite and mild mannered mom let loose with a string of words that would have made a sailor blush, explaining why she would not donate, why none of her relatives would donate, why nobody she knew would donate. It wasn't pretty. But it was effective, they never called for a donation again.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #26945

We did the exact same thing with cats, amazing way to get rid of barn mice. Then we had 6-8 dogs at any given point of time which were used for hunting and guarding. If someone admired the dogs and how they were well trained my dad would usually end up selling one or two and my mum would bring any stray she found home or would just randomly pick one up from a shelter. It was a strange cycle, I still don't see how they kept up with it all, I have two Dobermans and they're a big enough hassle as it is haha, but definitely worth it.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #26946

Liked 2225 Times on 1445 Posts

Five veterans in todays obituary

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #26947
Texas Ranger Fan!

Liked 16806 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

friday was productive day at work for me! i finished doing the work order on the Dixie Chopper that i replaced the pump/drive motor units on and the total bill was over $2260! i charged him 6.5 hours of labor for working on it.

i got three trenchers repaired that i was waiting on parts for. the trenchers make a small profit for the business in rentals. got one of the ride-on Ditch Witch trenchers in from rental and the digging boom is bent and twisted! customer stated it was bent when he picked it up. not hardly! then had the gall to want another one to finish the job. i told him i had no more available for him to rent. not going to be cheap to repair.

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #26948

Liked 548 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 1511

Axxe, I'd imagine that in the equipment rental business, ya gotta keep a customer blacklist. Do you collect a damage deposit when you rent something? Might think about a form for the customer to sign when they pick up the equipment with a clause that there is no damage, like apartment rental agreements contain.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #26949
Texas Ranger Fan!

Liked 16806 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Axxe, I'd imagine that in the equipment rental business, ya gotta keep a customer blacklist. Do you collect a damage deposit when you rent something? Might think about a form for the customer to sign when they pick up the equipment with a clause that there is no damage, like apartment rental agreements contain.
there is not persay a customer blacklist, but there are certain customers that have to pay upfront before they are allowed to rent and have to pay other costs upfront, becuase of their past history. a lot of our customers are business' that rent tools and equipment and have rental accounts with us and they are billed by the month. some of out equipment goes out on longterm rentals as well. a few weeks ago i went to work on one of our backhoes and i had never even seen the backhoe before, because it's been with that same customer for over three years, and ihave only been with the company over a year now.

we do charge what's called a damage waiver, and that goes to our insurance for customer damage on equipment. but if they don't want to pay it, then they are liable for any damages to that equipment. i do a lot of inspecting of the equipment when it's returned and before it's rented out. lots of times, the customers will tell us that something was already damaged or brokent when the picked up or recieved it. i have schooled my equipment deliver drivers to notify me at once when they see damage to the equipment.

part of me gets pissed off at the attitude of some people that rent, with the fact they have little regard for other people's property, but at the same time, it creates job security for me as well. i have been around long enough to be able to see the difference in misuse, neglect or ignorance vs. actual normal equipment breakage.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #26950

Liked 1771 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Five veterans in todays obituary
Salute! R.I.P gentlemen and/or ladies.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly