Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2663
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #26621
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,331
Liked 2997 Times on 1949 Posts

Default

At 10:10 am on the fourth both my grandma's clocks stopped. One works with a new battery, the other doesn't. Hmmm

At my cousins house on the fourth, his kid brings a compasover to me. I ask him which direction is north, and he points just on the north side of west. I said no, that's west, and he said the compass says that's north. I look at it, and he was right. It showed north as just on the north side of west. I figured the Chinese made kid compass is junk. Hmmm...

I get home, pour a drink, and the compass thing pops into my head. I check the compass on my phone, north is pointing just north of west. Same as my mechanical compass. Hmmm.

Solar flare? Alien sing off tv signal? What say you people?
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder

Last edited by primer1; 07-06-2013 at 04:06 AM.
primer1 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #26622
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
At 10:10 am on the fourth both my grandma's clocks stopped. One works with a new battery, the other doesn't. Hmmm

At my cousins house on the fourth, his kid brings a compasover to me. I ask him which direction is north, and he points just on the north side of west. I said no, that's west, and he said the compass says that's north. I look at it, and he was right. It showed north as just on the north side of west. I figured the Chinese made kid compass is junk. Hmmm...

I get home, pour a drink, and the compass thing pops into my head. I check the compass on my phone, north is pointing just north of west. Same as my mechanical compass. Hmmm.

Solar flare? Alien sing off tv signal? What say you people?
Maybe it is true North versus magnetic North? It varies quite a lot depending on where you are located.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #26623
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,331
Liked 2997 Times on 1949 Posts

Default

Magnetic north is usually like 20 degrees or so from true north. This was like 80-85.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #26624
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 25,552
Liked 8911 Times on 5331 Posts
Likes Given: 11911

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
had a great 4th for the first half of the day, took the fiancÚ out shootin, we had the range all to our selves and she out shot me consistently with my new 32 mag. oh well, at least one of us can hit something with it.

then we come home around 6 to find that our apartment building had caught fire while we were gone & there was no sign of our cat. the firemen finally let us in & there was kitty hiding under the bed, just fine. freaked out & cryin & meowing, but otherwise fine. not gonna lie, I cried a bit when I pulled her out from under the bed to find her just fine.

the stupid drunk pill popping woman next door was cooking something on the stove & left. her place is destroyed, melted her computer, tv, fridge, everything. we had some minor smoke damage & the FD knocked holes in the common wall to make sure the fire was out. everything in there stinks like a campfire. bad. like burns your eyes & stays with you the rest of the day bad. luckily no one was hurt but 14 people along with the 2 of us got displaced for who knows how long. happy friggin 4th to everyone in our building
How awful. I'm glad you found your cat, though. Where are you staying?

Vikingdad, we always know the meth cookers when they come into our ER. They are always burned on their face, forearms and chests. Not your typical "spilled something hot" burns.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #26625
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
buckhuntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sapulpa,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,391
Liked 998 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1877

Default

I've never been a dog person (since childhood, anyway), mostly because the dogs I've been subjected to have all been ill-behaved, poorly trained, and in the case of my Sisters' dogs, vicious, incontinent little anklebiters.

Losses of our poultry to predation by evil little woodland critters and roaming dogs has reached the tipping point, and a LGD or two was called for. So, after months of debate and consideration of breeds that fit our needs, Gail and I bought two puppies today.

We got two adorable Great Pyrenees x Anatolian Shepherd pups, white with brown patches, eight weeks old. These will not be pets, but working dogs. That's what I keep telling myself.
__________________
"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.
buckhuntr is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #26626
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
I've never been a dog person (since childhood, anyway), mostly because the dogs I've been subjected to have all been ill-behaved, poorly trained, and in the case of my Sisters' dogs, vicious, incontinent little anklebiters.

Losses of our poultry to predation by evil little woodland critters and roaming dogs has reached the tipping point, and a LGD or two was called for. So, after months of debate and consideration of breeds that fit our needs, Gail and I bought two puppies today.

We got two adorable Great Pyrenees x Anatolian Shepherd pups, white with brown patches, eight weeks old. These will not be pets, but working dogs. That's what I keep telling myself.
lots of people have said the same thing! good luck with that!
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #26627
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
I've never been a dog person (since childhood, anyway), mostly because the dogs I've been subjected to have all been ill-behaved, poorly trained, and in the case of my Sisters' dogs, vicious, incontinent little anklebiters.

Losses of our poultry to predation by evil little woodland critters and roaming dogs has reached the tipping point, and a LGD or two was called for. So, after months of debate and consideration of breeds that fit our needs, Gail and I bought two puppies today.

We got two adorable Great Pyrenees x Anatolian Shepherd pups, white with brown patches, eight weeks old. These will not be pets, but working dogs. That's what I keep telling myself.
Did you catch this thread? http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/cop-shouldnt-shoot-dog-93310/

Anyhow, the best dog owners I have ever known are the sort of people who have a well built kennel out in back of the house that has seen little use since it was built and is overgrown with weeds, etc. When they welcome you into their home they shoo the dogs off the furniture and the dogs have a confused "WTF??" look on their faces. There are distinctive roundish depressions in the couch cushions and chew toys on the floor.

Congrats on the pups! Those are gonna be some big dogs. They will need lots of exercise, and while they will walk with you with enthusiasm, don't expect them to be pestering you for a walk!
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #26628
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 25,552
Liked 8911 Times on 5331 Posts
Likes Given: 11911

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
There are distinctive roundish depressions in the couch cushions and chew toys on the floor.
ROFL.............you have no idea.........
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #26629
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lastrebel70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 411
Liked 91 Times on 60 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Did you catch this thread? http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/cop-shouldnt-shoot-dog-93310/

Anyhow, the best dog owners I have ever known are the sort of people who have a well built kennel out in back of the house that has seen little use since it was built and is overgrown with weeds, etc. When they welcome you into their home they shoo the dogs off the furniture and the dogs have a confused "WTF??" look on their faces. There are distinctive roundish depressions in the couch cushions and chew toys on the floor!
This sounds like my house.
lastrebel70 is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #26630
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 10,494
Liked 9448 Times on 5108 Posts
Likes Given: 19638

Default

I had my septic tank pumped today. Cost $275
Living in Bumfugg has its cons. No sewage, no food delivery, no cable, no trash collection.
But I wouldn't trade it for city life.
__________________
No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
MisterMcCool is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Post random photos you have taken cpttango30 The Club House 72 06-01-2014 05:33 PM
What are your thoughts on the .357 SIG? Samhain The Club House 17 09-08-2009 10:33 PM
your thoughts dirtysouth The Club House 11 08-03-2008 04:47 PM



Newest Threads