Random Thoughts Thread - Page 2661
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Random Thoughts Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #26601
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
no taking the tv out of his room would really teach him a lesson , he HAS to have it when going to bed .
And no , one of very few luxuries is going home , relaxing and watching tv , I have a little 20in hung up but it has no remote and it just looks pitiful .
I cant afford another big boy but I think I can swing a 45in or so then I will buy some TV ARMOR and whip his ass if he even gets near it , I know he did not mean to , hell I shot dads tv with a bb gun back when and never hurt it , he taps it with his fishing pole and spiders the glass dead center .

They have already put a small dent in my fridge door , nice new smooth finish GE with freezer on bottom .
lesson fo the day is , if you have kids , you cant have chit !
Didn't realize he has a TV in his room. That doesn't exist in our house. Its TV in the living room and that's it. My wife has one in the master bedroom for when she does her exercise videos but that is all.

So yeah, he loses the TV in his bedroom. He will eventually figure out how to sleep without it. He doesn't HAVE to have anything but food, water, clothes and shelter. Everything else are privileges. Those can be earned and taken away.

A buddy of my Brother-Out-law bought his 16-year-old daughter a convertible Mustang for her 16th birthday (yeah, I know. Stupid. That's what I told him.) and a few months later when the parents went away on vacation they left the girl and her two brothers at home alone. Naturally they had a "small party" with "Just a few friends". (Buddy is a wine distributor. They have a 1500 square foot fully stocked wine cellar at their house. Some $100,000 worth of wine was consumed by these kids and their "friends") But I digress. anyhow, little miss Princesses douchebag boyfriend decides to take her car for a test drive out in the meadow in front of the house with all of the revelers egging him on. Starts spinning doughnuts in the meadow, gets too close to the pond and gets the car stuck in the mud. Cops show up, house clears out and there was a hell of a mess left behind. Buddy and his wife get home a day later, the Mustang is still in the pond and the house isn't cleaned up because it was "too much work".

He said he thought he ought to ground her for 6 months. That was it. I told him he should take away her driver's license (she can get it when she turns 18) and then drive her former Mustang everywhere he goes for two years. drive it to work, drive it to the beach, everywhere. except when he is taking her somewhere. Then she had to ride in his truck (which she hated).

He lasted a week before giving in. So essentially there were no repercussions for all of that damage. She got her license, cell phone and car back. Little Miss Princess is in her 20's now and a piece of chit, so are the boys. Never amount to anything because they always have been and always will be useless little spoiled brats. It started when there were no serious repercussions when they were small children. The boys broke their trucks and got them stuck? No biggie. Daddy would buy them a new one. The boys get busted doing a lawn job in their trucks at the elementary school? No problem, Daddy would sue the school and try to make the record go away, plus pay the $20K in damages (I was on the school board and his lawsuit failed.).

Anyhow, in my opinion, if you take the big screen out and shoot it you are performing the same act that caused the damage. You are reinforcing his behavior. Replacing the TV will just make the problem go away and no life's lesson will be learned. Be ready for the next time he throws a tantrum and breaks another expensive or irreplaceable item. Its gonna happen again. And again. And again. For the rest of his life.

Beating him won't do any good either. That is a short term solution. He forgets it in very short order (except to fear you- that will last). If you want to make your mark it will take time. And sacrifice.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #26602
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am sooooo glad I never had kids. I have thought about it, and I would probably put the kid in a tent in the back yard for a week except for supervised meals (at the table) and baths.

When I was a kid, there was no radio in the house other than one in the bathroom and one in my sisters' rooms. My parents didn't listen to the radio much and didn't set up a home stereo system to accommodate their children. There was a TV in the den, and Dad or Mom chose the channel to be watched if they were watching; they provided the TV and electricity, so it was assumed to be their choice. A TV for my room was a major birthday gift when I was a teen, as this represented some freedom of choice I hadn't previously earned.

Today's kids are different, as are some parents; I've often seen parents of young children use the TV as a babysitter while they cooked or did some task requiring their attention. I'm not sure I like that, but again, luckily, I have no kid-raising to compare.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #26603

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I am sooooo glad I never had kids. I have thought about it, and I would probably put the kid in a tent in the back yard for a week except for supervised meals (at the table) and baths.

When I was a kid, there was no radio in the house other than one in the bathroom and one in my sisters' rooms. My parents didn't listen to the radio much and didn't set up a home stereo system to accommodate their children. There was a TV in the den, and Dad or Mom chose the channel to be watched if they were watching; they provided the TV and electricity, so it was assumed to be their choice. A TV for my room was a major birthday gift when I was a teen, as this represented some freedom of choice I hadn't previously earned.

Today's kids are different, as are some parents; I've often seen parents of young children use the TV as a babysitter while they cooked or did some task requiring their attention. I'm not sure I like that, but again, luckily, I have no kid-raising to compare.
I think the key is to never do anything out of anger or malice. Always keep the big picture in mind. You want them to grow into responsible adults (sooner rather than later!) and if you let them slide on the small stuff it eventually becomes big stuff.

And then they become teens!
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #26604
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8772 Times on 5242 Posts
Likes Given: 11651

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I just ate a peanut butter Pop-tart. It's was pretty good. This is coming from someone who generally doesn't care for Pop-tarts.

Random Thoughts Thread - The Club House
Nothing beats the chocolate fudge ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I think the key is to never do anything out of anger or malice. Always keep the big picture in mind. You want them to grow into responsible adults (sooner rather than later!) and if you let them slide on the small stuff it eventually becomes big stuff.

And then they become teens!
So true. As a single parent I was tough because it all depended on me. My theory was, "If you can't control them when they are 3 or 4, you certainly won't when they are 16."

Also, my kids didn't have TV's in their room until they were old enough to buy their own. We had one TV in the house. I don't even have one in my bedroom. If I let them have a TV in their rooms, I probably wouldn't have seen them for days on end. The one TV assured me they would join the family and I could monitor what was being watched. And most of the time we watched as a family.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #26605

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Nothing beats the chocolate fudge ones.

So true. As a single parent I was tough because it all depended on me. My theory was, "If you can't control them when they are 3 or 4, you certainly won't when they are 16."

Also, my kids didn't have TV's in their room until they were old enough to buy their own. We had one TV in the house. I don't even have one in my bedroom. If I let them have a TV in their rooms, I probably wouldn't have seen them for days on end. The one TV assured me they would join the family and I could monitor what was being watched. And most of the time we watched as a family.
I agree and that is why we have done it this way. When we started home schooling they had to have a computer for the program we started out with, so we set them up with desks and desktop computers in the living room. Takes up a lot of space but in looking at the "big picture", it is only for a few years and they will be gone.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #26606

Liked 1323 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 659

Ok I am catching hell for the tv in the kids room , I would prefer it not be in there but the only time its on is when they go to bed , we put on some very old scooby doo or tom and jerry .
They have a tv in their play room but they dont pay it much attention , they would much much rather go outside which makes me happy , they HATE being inside .

More great news from my world :
Wife had been with the state for 16ish or so years and due to some very old politics coming up she is suspended with pay until further notice .
New secretary is cleaning house and she is a major bit*h and has mentioned that her job is critical .

I can vow that if they fire her they WILL NOT get away clean , we got plenty of dirty laundry that the local press would just love to get a hold of . So due to my wife uncertain employment I may hold off on a tv right now

ANyone remember the prisoner incident with my wife and her work a while back ?
I think that got her boss's in doo doo and we all know chit rolls down hill , like I said , i will make sure they dont get away clean , I can bring a mighty big spot light out on them

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #26607

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Ok I am catching hell for the tv in the kids room , I would prefer it not be in there but the only time its on is when they go to bed , we put on some very old scooby doo or tom and jerry .
They have a tv in their play room but they dont pay it much attention , they would much much rather go outside which makes me happy , they HATE being inside .

More great news from my world :
Wife had been with the state for 16ish or so years and due to some very old politics coming up she is suspended with pay until further notice .
New secretary is cleaning house and she is a major bit*h and has mentioned that her job is critical .

I can vow that if they fire her they WILL NOT get away clean , we got plenty of dirty laundry that the local press would just love to get a hold of . So due to my wife uncertain employment I may hold off on a tv right now

ANyone remember the prisoner incident with my wife and her work a while back ?
I think that got her boss's in doo doo and we all know chit rolls down hill , like I said , i will make sure they dont get away clean , I can bring a mighty big spot light out on them
Maybe your wife could pull the race card on the b!tch.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #26608
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4463 Times on 2482 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Didn't realize he has a TV in his room. That doesn't exist in our house. Its TV in the living room and that's it. My wife has one in the master bedroom for when she does her exercise videos but that is all.

So yeah, he loses the TV in his bedroom. He will eventually figure out how to sleep without it. He doesn't HAVE to have anything but food, water, clothes and shelter. Everything else are privileges. Those can be earned and taken away.

A buddy of my Brother-Out-law bought his 16-year-old daughter a convertible Mustang for her 16th birthday (yeah, I know. Stupid. That's what I told him.) and a few months later when the parents went away on vacation they left the girl and her two brothers at home alone. Naturally they had a "small party" with "Just a few friends". (Buddy is a wine distributor. They have a 1500 square foot fully stocked wine cellar at their house. Some $100,000 worth of wine was consumed by these kids and their "friends") But I digress. anyhow, little miss Princesses douchebag boyfriend decides to take her car for a test drive out in the meadow in front of the house with all of the revelers egging him on. Starts spinning doughnuts in the meadow, gets too close to the pond and gets the car stuck in the mud. Cops show up, house clears out and there was a hell of a mess left behind. Buddy and his wife get home a day later, the Mustang is still in the pond and the house isn't cleaned up because it was "too much work".

He said he thought he ought to ground her for 6 months. That was it. I told him he should take away her driver's license (she can get it when she turns 18) and then drive her former Mustang everywhere he goes for two years. drive it to work, drive it to the beach, everywhere. except when he is taking her somewhere. Then she had to ride in his truck (which she hated).

He lasted a week before giving in. So essentially there were no repercussions for all of that damage. She got her license, cell phone and car back. Little Miss Princess is in her 20's now and a piece of chit, so are the boys. Never amount to anything because they always have been and always will be useless little spoiled brats. It started when there were no serious repercussions when they were small children. The boys broke their trucks and got them stuck? No biggie. Daddy would buy them a new one. The boys get busted doing a lawn job in their trucks at the elementary school? No problem, Daddy would sue the school and try to make the record go away, plus pay the $20K in damages (I was on the school board and his lawsuit failed.).

Anyhow, in my opinion, if you take the big screen out and shoot it you are performing the same act that caused the damage. You are reinforcing his behavior. Replacing the TV will just make the problem go away and no life's lesson will be learned. Be ready for the next time he throws a tantrum and breaks another expensive or irreplaceable item. Its gonna happen again. And again. And again. For the rest of his life.

Beating him won't do any good either. That is a short term solution. He forgets it in very short order (except to fear you- that will last). If you want to make your mark it will take time. And sacrifice.
I'm not the only person who had only one TV in my house! Everyone in high school thought that was so weird.

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.
People Like This 
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #26609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I'm not the only person who had only one TV in my house! Everyone in high school thought that was so weird.
We didn't have a TV for much of my childhood, and when we did there were strict rules on what we could watch on it and no more that 1 hour a day. It was black and white too.
People Like This 
Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #26610
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9180 Times on 4962 Posts
Likes Given: 19351

We were allowed to watch cartoons on weekends; but once Dad got up, he sent us outside.
People Like This